Geraden Appreciation Thread

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Geraden Appreciation Thread

Post by Myste »

As I wander through the pages of MN discussion, I notice that poor Geraden is severely under-represented as a subject of new topics. Whenever he is mentioned, it's always part of a discussion of Terisa.

So what's the deal, anyway? Is Geraden just too boring to merit his own character dissection? Is he too-Luke-Skywalker-for-words? We all like him, he's a decent guy, smart, funny, nice, strong, cares about his family, etc....but maybe he's just not Han Solo enough.

And yet...he does kick some serious hiney in MN; and there are some really excellent descriptions of him, and his coming-of-age, throughout the series.

How does he stand up as an independent character? Is he a hero? Is he annoying? Does he have any meaning apart from inspiring Terisa to become real?
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Geraden

Post by duchess of malfi »

He's the good and decent guy next door. :) He is one of the front runners of the sexiest male character thread, IIRC. :wink: :)

But there are depths to him...there is that stubborness that turns him into the oldest Apt ever in the Congery. Kid won't give up, even though everyone laughs at him and considers him hopeless. He doesn't ever give up on having a relationship with Terisa, either,even though the biggest
Spoiler
man ho
in Orison is also after her. :)

And he is amazingly loyal. Is anyone more loyal to Joyse, other than perhaps Havelock?
Love as thou wilt.

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Geraden is absolutely admirable. He makes mistakes, like when he decides to capture his brother Nyle, but seems to have no serious character flaw whatsoever.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Geraden, person of the people.
In CHapter 11 of [i]The Mirror Of Her Dreams[/i] was wrote: It took considerably longer than she had expected. In fact, it spread out over several days. Geraden was familiar with a bewildering combination of routes which stretched through Orison from end to end and top to bottom. He had never been able to win admittance to the Congery and its secrets; but he could tell the story behind each of the pennons hanging outside the hall of audiences (each one was the standard of some commander who had been beaten by King Joyse in battle). Most of the high-ranking men and women he and Terisa met in passing either didn't know him or recognized him with amusement bordering on disdain; but every guard, maid, scullion, cook, sweeper, wine steward, armorer, apprentice, plumber, stonemason, and merchant from the deepest storerooms to the highest rafters of the castle seemed to be friend or acquaintance, either of his own or of his family's. And his relationship with all those people was like his knowledge of Orison: he was as clumsy as a puppy, tripping on stairs or his own feet, bumping into walls, dropping things, and falling all over himself with enjoyment whenever someone made a particularly acute jest; yet he held his own among the scullions and armorers and sweepers, in spite of his instinct for mishap, by displaying an unfailing insight and humor that made many of them look at him with affection indistinguishable from respect.
Geraden has worked to make people with no real power feel that they are important and cared about, and he is treasured for it by them. This passage was to me one of the earliest indications that Geraden was truly good at heart, and made it easy for me to dismiss Eremis' accusation that Geraden could ever be a traitor.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Cord Hurn wrote:Geraden, person of the people.
In CHapter 11 of [i]The Mirror Of Her Dreams[/i] was wrote: It took considerably longer than she had expected. In fact, it spread out over several days. Geraden was familiar with a bewildering combination of routes which stretched through Orison from end to end and top to bottom. He had never been able to win admittance to the Congery and its secrets; but he could tell the story behind each of the pennons hanging outside the hall of audiences (each one was the standard of some commander who had been beaten by King Joyse in battle). Most of the high-ranking men and women he and Terisa met in passing either didn't know him or recognized him with amusement bordering on disdain; but every guard, maid, scullion, cook, sweeper, wine steward, armorer, apprentice, plumber, stonemason, and merchant from the deepest storerooms to the highest rafters of the castle seemed to be friend or acquaintance, either of his own or of his family's. And his relationship with all those people was like his knowledge of Orison: he was as clumsy as a puppy, tripping on stairs or his own feet, bumping into walls, dropping things, and falling all over himself with enjoyment whenever someone made a particularly acute jest; yet he held his own among the scullions and armorers and sweepers, in spite of his instinct for mishap, by displaying an unfailing insight and humor that made many of them look at him with affection indistinguishable from respect.
Geraden has worked to make people with no real power feel that they are important and cared about, and he is treasured for it by them. This passage was to me one of the earliest indications that Geraden was truly good at heart, and made it easy for me to dismiss Eremis' accusation that Geraden could ever be a traitor.
But maybe that's not just because of Geraden's great personality but also Geraden's family high station in society. Giving his attention and respect to them means a lot in the traditionalist society of Mordant. That might also explain part of the high rankers' disdain towards him. He's not just amusingly clumsy. He mingles with the riffraff.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Never really got the impression that the whole class thing was a major part of Mordant. I think he's mostly just seen as a harmless buffoon. A bit too goofy for people.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:But maybe that's not just because of Geraden's great personality but also Geraden's family high station in society. Giving his attention and respect to them means a lot in the traditionalist society of Mordant. That might also explain part of the high rankers' disdain towards him. He's not just amusingly clumsy. He mingles with the riffraff.
It does seem that throughout Mordant's Need, a portion of the good opinion people have of Geraden has to do with the family that he comes from. But I like to think Geraden is popular with many in Orison's population because he makes them feel valued for their opinions and feelings, as he tries to do for Terisa.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Never really got the impression that the whole class thing was a major part of Mordant. I think he's mostly just seen as a harmless buffoon. A bit too goofy for people.

--A
That could be part of it, I suppose.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Avatar wrote:Never really got the impression that the whole class thing was a major part of Mordant. I think he's mostly just seen as a harmless buffoon. A bit too goofy for people.

--A
Surely they also perceive something of his splendid moral backbone and kindness.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:

--A
Surely they also perceive something of his splendid moral backbone and kindness.
I'd like to think so!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Agreed an actual good guy.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

To me he was a relatable character - someone you suspected had better things ahead but just having a hard time finding his own place. Pretty much describes how I see most people, including myself, living.

We also have to remember that Eremis and others suspected Geraden had greater talents and were purposefully trying to keep him down.

I probably need a re-read one of these days but I considered Geraden a hero from the get go and appreciated him more as the story went along.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, he started of a bit naive maybe, but I never had any antipathy for him the way I did for Terisa.

--A

Return to “Mordant's Need”