What is it you believe?

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

And chained and limited.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Love free's you, but it enslaves you as well. The same can be said for the Truth ;)

It raises us, and binds us in iron chains.

But excuse me, weren't you the one saying that you thought you were in love with a respondent to your experiment? :)

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Avatar wrote:Love free's you, but it enslaves you as well. The same can be said for the Truth ;)

It raises us, and binds us in iron chains.

But excuse me, weren't you the one saying that you thought you were in love with a respondent to your experiment? :)

Not in love... I don't think he could fall in love in that short a time. But very impressed by her; and he liked her a lot... maybe Ur-Vile will experience love :hearts: *Hopes Ur-Vile will be happy*
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I never said I was in love with her, just attracted.

Darth - I was once, well I thought I was.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Ur-Vile wrote:I never said I was in love with her, just attracted.

Darth - I was once, well I thought I was.
:( I'm really sorry to hear that Ur-Vile. I hope you will experience it again someday; and be happy with that person. :)
Last edited by Revan on Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Avatar »

Chances are, (hopefully) that he will be happy regardless of whether or not he finds love. It's certainly not something we should consider a requirement for happiness.

But it tends to surprise you when you least expect it, and have given up looking.

I know this from personal experience. Have been with the GF for seven years now, and never happier, but it was sure a shock to me when it happened.

Peace
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Let's carry on with the discussion 8)

Post by Avatar »

Well then, What is it that you believe?
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Avatar wrote:Well then, What is it that you believe?
That was just a post edit. :)

I don't believe that there is a God... I dislike religion and all it's manifestations.

Post by Avatar »

Don't have to believe in god, surely must believe in something. I dislike all organised religion, and the concept of a patriarchal, controlling god with a vested interest in our subservience, but I still believe in things.

Admittedly often because I like them, or becuase they amuse me, since I completely lack faith in pretty much anything but myself, but I still call them "beliefs".
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I believe in my rubbishness. Argh 8O
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I believe in something higher... i don't believe, however, that an almightly being created us... or that he is a pure being.

Post by Avatar »

Well, there you go then, and fair enough. So what caused us to be here? Random chance? Chaos? A really sick joke?

I usually tend to vacillate between those options, with a strong bent toward a random, chaotic sick joke. :lol:

(my deity has a sense of humour)

Cj-- I've already got my hands full telling Darth not to put himself down. Do you want me to start on you too? ;)

--A
Last edited by Avatar on Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Avatar wrote:Well, there you go then, and fair enough. So what caused us to be here? Random chance? Chaos? A really sick joke?

I usually tend to vacillate between those options, with a strong bent toward a random, chaotic sick joke. :lol:

(my deity has a sense of humour)

--A
heh.

No... I really don't know why we're here... and can't even begin to come up with any theories. i think such questions lie beyond human comprehension.

Post by Avatar »

Why not? If the universe is truly infinite, then anything, no matter how improbable, must be true somewhere. (I don't necessarily believe this)

The only thing we cannot truly comprehend is ourselves. I once read somewhere that if the brain was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it. :)

--A
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Avatar wrote:Why not? If the universe is truly infinite, then anything, no matter how improbable, must be true somewhere. (I don't necessarily believe this)
But we can never know... I believe that even if there was a God. He'd be completely beyond our comprehension.

Avatar wrote:The only thing we cannot truly comprehend is ourselves. I once read somewhere that if the brain was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it. :)
--A
That is an amazing quote. 8) I truly believe that humans will never come to understand themselves, there purpose in life, fully.

Post by Avatar »

Darth Revan wrote:... I believe that even if there was a God. He'd be completely beyond our comprehension.
Perhaps our mistake lies in attempting to attribute human motivations to things which may not be human? Or may not have any motivation?(Although I contest that god is human, in that it is the belief of people that gave rise to him/her/it)

--A
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Darth Revan wrote:... I believe that even if there was a God. He'd be completely beyond our comprehension.
Perhaps our mistake lies in attempting to attribute human motivations to things which may not be human? Or may not have any motivation?(Although I contest that god is human, in that it is the belief of people that gave rise to him/her/it)

--A
Perhaps... but I have to disagree that a God can ever be human... it's impossible... otherwise he is not God. He would be as frail and petty as the rest of us... he would have to be divine in some way.

Post by Avatar »

But don't you think that on the whole humanity have portrayed their gods as being and doing exactly what people would do if they had these powers? Can we not percieve some form of pettiness, childishness or insecurity in all offered forms of god?

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Avatar wrote:But don't you think that on the whole humanity have portrayed their gods as being and doing exactly what people would do if they had these powers? Can we not percieve some form of pettiness, childishness or insecurity in all offered forms of god?

Not really... I mean say that there is a God... why would he make us to be in any way? To make us what we are is to rob our freedom. And I'm sure "God" didn't create humans just to watch us work his will. To believe in such a Creator would be silly.

Return to “The Close”