Rome: Total War

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Worm of Despite
Lord

Rome: Total War

Post by Worm of Despite »

pc.ign.com/articles/550/550373p1.html

Wow.

I just played the demo and it blew me away. I thought I'd never touch a strategy game again, but this sweet baby is a converter, a religious experience. The battles are immense, involving, and *gasp* historically accurate. We're talking massive, Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings battles here. With elephants. Did I mention sieges? I'm getting this game ASAP.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Sounds good. I might give it a try.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Awesome. Can't wait to get Rome.

I love strategy games, and fell for Shogun (the first in the series) instantly. Is the best strategy game type IMO. Love Medieval too, (in fact am busy playing it now.)

They combine the best elements of turn-based and "real-time" in one game. Fantastic.
Sheol
Giantfriend

Post by Sheol »

i read an artile about it and i sounded incredible. aparently it is 10 times better then the first ones. there are like nine different houses you can be and the campaigns are 20 hours long. many possibilities and a high replay value.
My right hand is lightning and my left is thunder.
My eyes are flame.
My heart is ashes.
Look upon me and tremble.

Post by Avatar »

Excellent, I can't wait to get my hands on it -- Just poor at the moment.

I agree with the replay value, even the earlier ones can be played over and over again. (and I do :) )

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Wow... this looks amazing...

Too bad I don't have a working pc... :P

Thanks for the link Foul 8)
Worm of Despite
Lord

I bought it yesterday . . . Of all the amazing things in this game, getting right down on the ground-level and having your camera follow a cavalry as it charges ten zillion Gauls is awesome beyond description. Well, time to siege the Carthaginians. God, I hope they don't have elephants, but, knowing my luck, they probably do.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

*drool* This sounds amazing Foul. 8)

i will get it as soon as my pc is fixed and Creator is paid. 8)
Last edited by Revan on Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Only problem I'm having in the game is making money. Always low on cash in that game, but the battles are fun, so what the hellfire. A couple recent battles were great; one was in a forest where the enemy army walked right into me, and I surprised them so much that most of them ran. I still had enough people left over for when the enemy’s reinforcements came. There were like 700 of me and 1000 of them, so I did pretty good.

Most recent battle was me taking a fort from superior numbers--again, around 700 of me versus a thousand of them. They screwed up by coming out of their fortress gate in small increments, which my army ate up like bite-size snacks.

Post by Avatar »

Damn, you're just making me jealous now. Sounds like they've really beefed up this one. Can't wait!

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Oh wow... This game sounds so amazing... I want my computer fixed :x
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

My birthday next week so I'm going to save myself £35 and ask for it as a gift. Lets just hope my laptop can handle it (my graphics card isn't exactly the best, but it usually copes).
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Time to buy it then, it's been getting mega-reviews everywhere.

So I'm going to buy it from Virgin, for some reason they have it out for £5 cheaper than everywhere else.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I junked the money-saving plan in favour of instant gratification. It's installing now, and I love the install music!
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Worm of Despite
Lord

You've made the right choice, Nathan!
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

It's bloody brilliant! I'm already hooked.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Ah hah! I just ordered this today after hearing nothing but gushing praise for it. I've gone through the suspiciously cheap www.dvd.co.uk, who have it for the princely sum of £18 delivered.

Has anyone seen that Time Commanders show on BBC2? It was a rather intense episode last week and seeing that was the deciding factor for me.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

The one on sunday? Those vicars were completely incompetant, the only reason they won was because they had numerical superiority! Did you see the way they got their archers massacred straight away? They charged their cavalry into a dense infantry formation, got their rearguard slaughtered and attacked the Germanian phalanxes head on!
I hope next week's is more difficult.
Despite their idiocy I enjoyed the show, but I thought their could have been a bit more of the battle shown. The way it was you couldn't really get a feel of the flow of the situation, they cut in and out and it seemed a bit disjointed.
Richard Hammond makes a good presenter too.

Maybe I can play you once you get it :)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Playing the game a lot now, even if it does run ridiculously slow on my laptop. On the campaign I've captured 13 provinces, and personally destroyed the Dacians.
Unfortunately my multiplayer has a number of problems. I play over a small network hub with some friends, and the whole thing goes pretty slowly for all of us (only one person has a good, fast computer), and twice now there've been battles where at some point in the middle my comp's gotten out-of-sync with the rest, and the battle seems to go totally different for me than it does for them (even so far as the battle lasting a few minutes longer, units that were killed on their games still running around near the end, the generals having different names, etc...)
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

That out of sync thing is quite common, I have it in about 1/5 of my games.

Good luck with the campaign, I'm playing as the guals at the moment, the Julii are down to one or two provinces and I've conquered Britain, but the Macedonians have alarmingly large amounts of light lancers.

Return to “PC & Console Games”