Best Sci-Fi Writer

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Who is the Best science fiction writer of all time?

Robert A. Heinlein
14%
Isaac Asimov
5%
Arthur C. Clarke
3%
Frank Herbert
8%
Orson Scott Card
3%
Larry Niven
5%
Stephen R. Donaldson
16%
Frederich Pohl
No votes
Ray Bradbury
3%
Other (please specify)
43%

Total votes: 37

The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Well shoot, I considered myself farly well read in Sci fi, but there have been a lot of writers mentioned that I have never read or heard of. I thought I had put quite a powerful group uf writers up there. I also didn't think to include Verne and Wells, although I probably should have. However, I am loathe to change the poll, because all those people who voted "other" won't be able to vote in the new category I make for them,
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Perhaps a new thread?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Neil Stephenson writes the best Sci-fi now.

Verner Vinge, Gene Wolf, Ian M Banks, and Peter F. Hamilton round out the top 5 for me.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Banks = legend. Best sci-fi writer today.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, really like Banks, his sci-fi stuff anyway. Prefer the "Culture" books to any others though.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The Culture books are great, however I liked Against a Dark Background the most. And the Bridge is a classic.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

My loyalty is with Clarke. If ever the day comes when I'm able to express my thoughts with the written word as lucidly as he does...well, I still won't believe it.

Great post by dAN about Asimov, though.

Post by Avatar »

LM-- Enjoyed Feersum Endjinn as well, once I got my head around the wierd phonetic writing. Was Against a Dark Background the one with the Lazy Gun and the Solipsist Mercenaries? Can't remember.

MM-- Like Clarke usually, but I often have to go long periods in between reading his stuff. Don't know why, just gets too much for me maybe? Last one I read was the one about the asteroid, Hammer of God maybe? Really can't remember.

The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I havn't really read any Clarke since Rama. Clarke just doesn't really do it for me usually.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Avatar - AADB was indeed the story with the Lazy Gun and the Solipsists. It also had the brilliant Entraxrln. I loved Feersum Endjinn, and yes it was hard to read.

Post by Avatar »

Loremaster wrote:Avatar - AADB was indeed the story with the Lazy Gun and the Solipsists. It also had the brilliant Entraxrln.
Aah yes, definitely one of my favourite Culture novels, along with The Player of Games and The Use of Weapons.

Truly, you have good taste. ;)

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Philip K. Dick. The man was an absolute visionary.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Someone needs to create a second poll; look how many people have voted 'other'.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Loremaster wrote:Avatar - AADB was indeed the story with the Lazy Gun and the Solipsists. It also had the brilliant Entraxrln. I loved Feersum Endjinn, and yes it was hard to read.
I love the back cover quote on AADB: "Banks warned you up front, this is a dark book."
The end is pretty damned dark but perhaps not as disturbing as that of Use fo Weapons or as bleak as Consider Phlebas. Banks really does enjoy a good massacre. I found Feersum Endjinn refreshingly upbeat though, and I'm certainly enjoying The Algebraist so far. The Dwellers are so funny.

I generally loathe to read anything that's been dubbed a 'classic', so many of the listed authors don't appeal to me. Experience has taught me that I simply don't like the books that most people like. I intend to add Zindell to my reading pile though.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Isern
Servant of the Land

Post by Isern »

And what about Lois Bujold? Great world-building, and fast-paced space opera and character foo on top of it.

And agree with whoever mentioned Gene Wolfe. Brilliant short stories, too. And great early clone speculation.

Ursula K. LeGuin, Dan Simmons, Jack Vance, Dave Zindelll
And a lot of people who had really good short stories: George R.R. Martin, James Tiptree, Jr., Terry Bisson, John Varley...

Dang, I could never pick one person as the very best. But if I did, it wouldn't be SRD. Heresy. :lol:

Isern
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I voted Other, since Roger Zelazny is my favorite science fiction writer, especially in the short story format. But Frank Herbert's Dune and its sequels is one of my favorite books too.
Spork
Servant of the Land

Post by Spork »

I cant believe the above post is the only mention of Zelazny in this whole thread. On the site, there are only 40 hits. d00ds!

Did you guys read any of: Chronicles of Amber, Bring me the head of prince charming, Lord Demon (Liskold finished posthumously)?

After just finishing the new Donaldson, I picked up all the amber books in a single volume from the library and am re-reading for the nth time, where n is a number larger than 1.

My short non tolkien, non-donaldson list:
Zelazny: n>4
Heinlein: n>3
Chalker: n>3
Cherryh: n>2
And an obscure one: Gerard Klein -- worth the nth read

edit: just got wise to the "sci-fi" in the titile of this thread ... oops
Last edited by Spork on Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Although I recognize the greatness of all the choices, and to be sure an arguement can be made for any of them, but my favorites are:

Frank Herbert
Gene Wolfe
Lois Mcmaster Bujold
Dan Simmons
Michael Swanwick
Robert Silverberg
Peter F. Hamilton
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I've read every one of these authors, and I would have to go with Peter F. Hamilton.

But he needs to stand the test of time. So Heinlein, who has done just that, would be my second choice.

Also, as a sidenote, I don't rank SRD number one. But I DO rank him number one as a writer of both fantasy and sf. Who else on this list can write BOTH as well as our man? 8)
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Also, as a sidenote, I don't rank SRD number one. But I DO rank him number one as a writer of both fantasy and sf.
I defintely don't agree with that. If you give equal credence to fantasy and Sci-fi I think their are a few. Robert Silverberg, Gene Wolfe, Philip Jose Farmer, Poul Anderson, Michael Swanwick, maybe even Roger Zelazny, or Ursula Leguin. Even more notably Michael Moorcock. What about Jack Vance? Not only all their novels but their winning short stories/anthologies/Novellas, and works in various magazine, completely put them on another level to Donaldson, in such a comparison IMHO.

It's a matter of opinion I guess, and I certainly respect Donaldson, but I certainly wouldn't consider Donaldson to be the King of the speculative fiction.

I think I would group Donaldson on a tier below them in such a comparrison and more comparable to someone like Tad Williams, with his MSaT series, Otherland series, War of Flowers, Shadowmarch, and Tail Chaser Song efforts.

I have a profoud respect for Donaldson's work, however I simply can't agree with that notion, but respect your opinion nevertheless.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”