Greek Classics

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Greek Classics

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Anybody have a favorite Greek play, epic, history or philosophical work?

My absolute favorite is Thucydides' political history, The Peloponnesian War. As for fiction, Aristophanes is always good for laughs. Not a big Odyssey fan, but the Illiad was interesting. Plato's Republic was pretty entertaining for a philosophical discourse... and the things you learn...
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Plato's Republic is a masterpiece.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

But perhaps a utopian one?

Still, enjoyed it when I read it. Liked both Illiad and Odessy, and Xenephon's March of the Ten Thousand was pretty good, although it's been so long that I barely remember it.

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Avatar wrote:But perhaps a utopian one?
:D That was the whole idea! ;)

Have not read anything of Xenephon's yet, except in passing as I did research. Have been meaning to pick something up, but with all the other stuff on my list (Runes, Mordant's Need, George R R Martin, You're Stepping on My Cloak and Dagger), it will be a while.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Iliad and Oddyssey

Post by taraswizard »

For both there are many versions available any stand out as particularly noteworthy or most true to the original. For example, Barnes and Noble under the publishing wing has a pocketsized hardcover edition that I think is translated by TE Lawrence (AFAIK, he's better known as Lawrence of Arabia)
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Re: Iliad and Oddyssey

Post by Avatar »

taraswizard wrote:...translated by TE Lawrence (AFAIK, he's better known as Lawrence of Arabia)
Yep, thats the guy. :)

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Through my study of Thucydides, I've discovered that following multiple tranlastions actually works best for getting the best possible picture of the original meaning. When I wrote my paper on Brasidas, I literally used five different translations, not to mention secondary sources based on still other translators. Now, when I go to read other Greek works, I already have a preference of translator in mind. Now If I only had time to learn the original Greek... :wink:

Return to “General Literature Discussion”