Stephen Lawhead?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

CovenantJr
Lord

Stephen Lawhead?

Post by CovenantJr »

This week I'm reading (re-reading) Merlin, the second book of five in Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle, a very interesting interpretation of Arthurian legend. Book one tells the story of Taliesin, the greatest derwydd (bard/druid) in the history of Ynys Prydein (Britain) who is destined to be surpassed by only one: his own son, Myrddin Emrys, Merlinus Ambrosius - Merlin. One of the things I like about this incarnation Merlin is his youth. Most Merlins are doddery old men, but this Merlin is young for a large portion of the book, and even at the end of the series (a lifetime later) he's barely showing a grey hair on his head. Another is that he isn't some kind of mighty wizard; he is indeed the greatest bard of all, but he's also a real person who loves and suffers and doubts, and does the best he can in a hostile world. His power is subtle and sparingly used, his wisdom flawed, and he is perhaps the most distrusted indiviual in Ynys Pridein.

Also, the series is set in a re-Celticised Britain, just after the Roman empire began to decline. The Roman influence is quite prominent, as is the traditional, wild Celtic culture that is rising again to reclaim its home. Makes a change from the cliched medieval backdrop.

I recommend this series.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Sounds like something up my alley. I'm always game for a retelling of Arthur's tale along a Celtic vein. Thanks for the rec!
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

You're quite welcome :) Come back when you've read it, so we can talk about it ;) I was hoping someone might be familiar with it, but a willing convert is almost as good ;)

The books are as follows, in this order:

1) Taliesin
2) Merlin
3) Arthur
4) Pendragon
5) Grail

I recall thinking Taliesin was a little slow when I first read it, but it was several years ago, and I haven't had any trouble with it this time. Even if you do find that yourself, it's all ironed out by the time Merlin kicks off.
Invain
Giantfriend

Post by Invain »

Sounds good. I haven't read this cycle yet, but if you like Lawhead's writing I strongly recommend his Song of Albion trilogy: "The Paradise War", "The SIlver Hand" and "The Endless Knot". Good story in a well-developed Celtic setting.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I love Lawhead, I can't believe anyone here has heard of him. Growing up, my 2 favorite authors were SRD and SL, and I got them confused b/c they were both stephens.

Anyway, Pendragon Series is awesome, although Grail and Pendragon are a little slower than the first 3, but, there's a 6th book, Avalon. This one was great too, set in current time, Merlin has come back to help a young Scot reclaim the throne. Even here tho Merlin is not an old doddery man. TC Jr, you should pick up this book. My understanding of Arthur and Merlin are just about solely from these books.

Song of Albion is good, he has a new series that is ok, I forget the name. Black Rood was one of the books.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Wow, I didn't know there was a 6th! :o I'll have to pick it up 8)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Enjoyed Song of Albion, particularly The Silver Hand.

Have often seen the Pendragon Cycle, and wondered if I should bother starting them, (Every new series that I start and enjoy means years of trying to get them all for myself), but given the glowing recommendations, I'll pick up book one from the library, and try it out.

Alynna-- If you like "Celtic" types of books, I recommend Morgan Llywellan's books, if you've never tried them. Bard: The Odyssy of the Irish is undoubtedly my favourite, along with The Horse Goddess (You should like that one, lots of horses) and Druids set around a young Vercingetorix, uniting Gaul against the Romans. Excellent books.

Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Actually, that reminds me, Lawhead's newest book is Patrick, about the saint from Ireland. That was pretty good too.
--Andy

lhaughlhann
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by lhaughlhann »

I read some of his Pendragon books when i was a wee lad, not remembering much except for the fact that i had read them, but Empyrion was good. Edge even gave me a duplicate copy... Nice guy.
"The universe does not give first warnings. Or second chances."

Go-OpenSource
ur-monkey
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by ur-monkey »

I really enjoyed Empyrion too. SL's portrayal of the Fieri was the most gorgeous (and fairly detailed) portrayal of a utopian society I have ever read. It left me yearning to read more about them. :biggrin:

The description of their mirror opposites, the Dystopian Dome inhabitants, was also very good. :)
Quin, suffering from total amnesia, slowly discovers himself possessed of inexplicable abilities as his world expands...

https://www.quinsabduction.org/
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I read the first three in the Pendragon series but didn't know there was more. Frankly, I may not read them, because of the three, I loved Taliesin and liked Arthur but Merlin was breathtaking. I kept re-reading passages in it because they were so wonderfully executed and so moving. If I were going to re-read anything in the series it would be Merlin.

I confess that I kept seeing Merlin as in the Artisan made-for-TV film of about ten years ago, which I loved and still love (Sam Neal as Merlin).
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Cov, jr. and I have already briefly discussed the Pendragon cycle in another thread, I had no idea this one was here. deer of the dawn, I highly recommend you read the next two in the cycle, Pendragon and Grail. Not as good as Merlin, but worthy of the read.

Avalon...heh. Nice to see Lawhead's Merlin manipulating things to his vision again.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I came across a copy of Pendragon and went for it when I read the intro and saw it was from Myrddin's perspective. I am LOVING it. Again, I keep rereading passages because they are just exquisite. :) Myrddin's voice is one of the best-developed I have ever read. Or maybe I just relate to it.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I tend to get mixed up with all the celtic-y books I've read, but I vaguely remember reading and enjoying this series.

As Av said, if you liked these, check out Morgan Llywelyn's stuff.
(My faves are Red Branch, Lion of Ireland, Grania, and Finn MacCool)

Other good celtic legend ones are 'Raven of Destiny' by Peter Tremayne, and as mentioned elsewhere numerous times, Julian May's Saga of the Exiles books, which give a fantastic slant on all sorts of celtic myths.

Michael Scott's 'Tales of The Bard' series takes celtic type scenarios and puts them into a fantasy world. One of the backdrops to the story is a new pantheon of gods taking over from an old pantheon - which might appeal to a certain group of KWers!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Have you seen his new trilogy, about Robin Hood? Of course, its not set in Nottingham forest, he thinks there's some older legends set in another forest, I forget which. First 2 are out. Read first, it kept my interest, trying to hold off on 2nd until third is out, but I expect it will go as bad as waiting for all Last Chronicles to come out before reading them.
--Andy

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Given that I'm from Nottingham, and thus have been immersed in Robin Hood-ness since birth, I need to read that.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Peter Tremayne writes a series of mysteries about an Irish Church nun named Sister Fidelma. They aren't half bad. Tremayne, btw, is a pseudonym; his real name is Peter Berresford Ellis and he's reputedly something of a scholar of all things Celtic. I'm currently reading his "A Brief History of the Druids".

I've read some Morgan Llewellyn but haven't read any of Lawhead's books yet. I may have to give them a go.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I love, love, love both Sister Fidelma and Ellis Peters' Cadfael.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Menolly wrote:I love, love, love both Sister Fidelma and Ellis Peters' Cadfael.
get yourself a copy of 'Raven of Destiny' then! it's about one of the Red Branch warriors (Cuchulainn and that lot) who, um, ends up travelling around europe. (trying not to give anything away and making it sound completely lame! oops)
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
wayfriend

Re: Stephen Lawhead?

Post by wayfriend »

CovenantJr wrote:This week I'm reading (re-reading) Merlin, the second book of five in Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle, a very interesting interpretation of Arthurian legend.
Not really a Stephen Lawhead question, but "very interesting interpretation of Arthurian Legend" brings to mind A.A. Attanasio's unnamed Arthur/Merlin series. (He is most famous, to me, for writing Radix.) Anyway, this story combines the arthur legend and the celtic/christian confict with .... metaphysics. The world tree is the earth's magnetic lines of flux, across which beings of energy wander. Demons and angels were born of the big bang. Etc. Etc. Merlin is a demon born to a human woman, born old and growing younger. As crazy as that sounds, the thing is beautiful and poetic and a page-turner -- he writes crazy good.

Anyone read it?

Return to “General Literature Discussion”