You're Stepping on my Cloak and Dagger

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

You're Stepping on my Cloak and Dagger

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Has anyone read You're Stepping on my Cloak and Dagger by Roger Hall? It was first printed in the late 1950s and has cropped up occasionally ever since; it's been just recently reprinted by the Naval Institute Press. I picked it up after reading about it in The Washington Post's Book World section - it was so tempting, I actually broke down and paid near-to-full price for it (I rarely cough up the full price for a book - even got Runes on discount).

Short summary: It's a sort of memoir about the author's experience in the OSS - the precursor to the CIA - during World War II. Very witty, irreverent take on the government's wartime espionage efforts. Apparently it's a cult classic in intelligence circles. Some of it takes place in and around DC and Baltimore, so if you're familiar with the area it is worth reading just for the different perspective on a couple of local points of interest - the Congressional Country Club and the Catoctin area.

I strongly recommend this to those military and intelligence buffs who may have missed it the first fourteen times around. A very funny book - I had a hard time keeping quiet while reading it on the subway. :P
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Spycatcher

Post by taraswizard »

Spycatcher by Peter Wright. Not a humorous book, but pretty good. Written covering Mr. Wright's years with MI5. Includes disscusion of his interiews with Anthony Blunt.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever

Return to “General Literature Discussion”