DT: King's Self Allusions

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

DT: King's Self Allusions

Post by Guest »

I had posted this on another thread, but I pulled it and put it here. I hope no one minds.

I'm on Wolves of the Calla now, just beginning. I think the books are great. I especially like the little ways Stephen King alludes to other books and stories. I can't wait to get through the next ones. This certainly was King's Magnum Opus.

I would love to hear where people found King's references, because I'm sure I've missed some. I have read the "family tree" of SK books, but was wondering specifically where things were found and if there are smaller things thrown in here and there. I guess they should be spoilers so I'll start:

Gunslinger:
Spoiler
The man in Black is from the Stand
The Drawing of the Three:

The Waste Lands:
Spoiler
The reference to the turtle has to be from IT
Talitha is too close to Tabitha (his wife)
Wizard and Glass:
Spoiler
Kansas is from the Stand
Wolves of the Calla:
Spoiler
Father Callahan is from Salem's Lot
Stephen King is on the Restaurant of the Mind blackboard
The author of Charlie the ChooChoo is now Bachman
Song of Suzannah:

The Dark Tower:
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Insomnia.
Spoiler
both The Crimson King and the Tower appear,
as does Patrick Danville.
Everythings Eventual.
Spoiler
a story involving Roland, set before A Gunslinger. Also featuring a story of the Breaker who name escapes me at the moment.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Gart
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Gart »

Hearts in Atlantis.
Spoiler
The first of the stories is heavily involved with Ted Brautigan, the chief Breaker.
...but in the morning, I will be sober
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Wow I'm giving this thread a major bump :twisted:

I'm reading The Dark Tower part 7 right now. I've always been in two minds about King's self-references. It can really tie his universe together if you know what he's talking about, but it can also work against him. For example, Bleak House references the Dark Tower series in a major way (this is not a spoiler, right?), which gets kind of obscure if you haven't read any DT.

And then there are little things which just annoy me: right in the beginning of DT7, there's the following passage (not spoiling anything):

"...bounced beneath one of the tables, and there (like a certain paper boat some of you may remember) passes out of this tale forever."

This obviously points to the beginning of It, and it's just so damn irrelevant and self-indulgent.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I'll admit a lot of those references were either completely missed by me, or did not have a lot of impact on me. Other than the Dark Tower books, I have not read much by King in years. When I was a teenager I read a lot of his classics like Salem's Lot and the Stand and the Shining - and those were all read so long ago, while I caught references and characters, I am sure the impact on me was much less than on a major King fan. :(
Love as thou wilt.

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Ah, i remember wondering what the paper boat referred to, thanks for clearing it up.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Well, as a lifelong reader of King (became a fan in 1980, and I've read everything he's written, as it was published), I enjoy the obscure references to earlier works myself.

But nevertheless, I can understand when a reader describes it as annoying or self-indulgent, and that paper boat one could certainly qualify. :?
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I enjoy the references to other books, but that specific one, about the boat, I see as ore part of his compulsive foreshadowing, which I hate, and ranges from the blatant, (like in Pet Semetary) to the subtle.

--A
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

I usually enjoy references as well, but only when it serves a purpose. This particular reference was so out of place that to me, it felt like a certain smugness 'hey I'm so well-read that people will pick up on this random reference which I've thrown into the middle of a suspenseful passage for no reason'. IMO, if he'd left out the phrase between parentheses it would've been recognised by a fan anyway, without confusing everyone else.

But then I haven't gotten very far in the book yet, so there may be more to come, in which case it may have served a purpose after all.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Can't wait to hear what you take on it is. I still can't make up my mind...some day's I think it was brilliant and inevitable...some days, I hate it. :lol: (Just reread it myself actually.)

--A

Return to “Stephen King Forum”