Latest SF/Fantasy Acquisitions

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

As many of you might know, Borders is going out of business. There's one several miles from me, and the sales started today. "Everything in stock up to 40% off!" Yeah, well, 10% is "up to 40%", so they're not lying. Heh. But I'll hold out another few days before I start bying anything. We'll see what I end up with.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Magickmaker and I did the same thing tonight, Fist -- walked into Borders, poked around, and walked out with nothing. Didn't help that the line for the registers was insane *and* they'd either turned off the a/c or had set it so high that the place was sweltering. But yeah -- not impressed with 10% off sci-fi/fantasy.

When the downtown Borders closed this spring, I waited 'til almost the final week to go. By then, stuff was pretty well picked over -- but what I got, I got *cheap*! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

A friend gave me In the Hall of the Dragon King and I'm reading it on the plane. Kind of dragging through it. I liked Lawhead's Arthur Pendragon retelling, but this is kind of blah.

I also have Ted Dekker's Adam, which I'm saving. But his stuff is paranormal and horror, not really sci-fi.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Fant/sci-fi is up to 20% off at Borders. I got Karen Miller's Godspeaker trilogy, since they were pb, and only one copy of each. I relocated the only copies of The Illuminatus and a collection of wizard stories. Everything else I have my eye on still has multiple copies.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

25% off now, and I decided I was pushing my luck by waiting longer, despite having hidden some books. So today I bought The Illuminatus!, the first two Black Company collections, and an anthology of wizard short stories.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

40% off! I got Canticle for Leibowitz (which I know nothing about, but have heard mentioned a lot lately), and The Wise Man's Fear ($18 instead of $30). Pretty happy with all I've gotten from Borders' closing sale. Wish that didn't mean the small city it's in will be entirely without a bookstore! But B&N is in the nearest small city, only about 20 miles from it. Still, the fact that Middletown, NY can be without a bookstore is a sorry statement!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I almost picked up Canticle a 1/2 hour ago--what I did was trade my gift copy of A Dance With Dragons for $10 worth of credit at Don's Paperback, so far I've replaced my copy of SRD's The Man Who Risked His Partner and picked up a highly interesting looking SF called Kethani by Eric Brown (anybody know anything about this book?). Wanted to replace my copy of White Gold Wielder as well, but (a good sign) almost all copies of all SRD books were gone!
fall far and well Pilots!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I love Canticle. One of the all-time greats as far as I'm concerned. You'll like it Fist. :D

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

As I said at the 2007 'fest during lunch in Jemez Springs, A Canticle for Leibowitz is my favorite stand alone novel ever. Yes, I have heard a related book came out many years later, but I haven't read it and Canticle was written and reads beautifully on its own.
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

The Magician King - Lev Grossman
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

I just started Aliantha's Swan Song.

*blondness edited out* :roll:
Last edited by deer of the dawn on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

deer of the dawn wrote:I just started Menolly's Swan Song.
Psst -- it's mine, not Menolly's. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

aliantha wrote:
:oops: *feels for hair color* :oops:

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

deer of the dawn wrote:
aliantha wrote:
:oops: *feels for hair color* :oops:
:lol: No worries -- we all look alike in virtual space. :)

EZ Board Survivor

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The Weird, ed. by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer
The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities, ed. by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

The Crippled God and Stonewielder, which will allow me to finish my re-read with a, um, read :)

Also China Mieville's Embassytown. A signed copy to go with my others though I prefer a personalised sig, I'm not complaining :D
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Finally finished Revelation Space, enjoyed it very much, many cool astrophysical/quantum concepts kind of like Rendezvous with Rama meets Event Horizon meets Metaplanetary but don't know if I want to check out the sequel just yet. Now reading The Power of Now, like A New Earth it makes me focus, slow down and meditate more often so very therapeutic. Bought Samuel R. Delany's City of a Thousand Suns and Stephenson's The Diamond Age--looking forward to both-the beginning of TDA looks like tons of fun. Tried to start The Judging Eye, but it was tough I've read too many heavy duty fantasies lately and read about 15 page into McCarthy's The Crossing-that looks good too but I think you have to be in the right mood and place to click with his style-love his style, just not in the right place....
fall far and well Pilots!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

10 Billion Days & 100 Billion Nights by Ryu Mitsuse
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

danlo wrote: Stephenson's The Diamond Age--looking forward to both-the beginning of TDA looks like tons of fun.
I'd be interested in what you think of that one when done...been a while since I read it, but I recall veering wildly between Wow and Stupid while doing so.

Murrin, the title struck me as cool, so I searched it, and now plan to pick it up.

I'm stuck just commenting on other's acq's cuz haven't acq'd much myself recently in the genre.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I didn't plan on getting it, but when I saw it in the store I recognised the title and gave it a look. Realised I'd heard of it because I read the blog of Nick Mamatas, who's the editor at Haikasoru (the publisher, an imprint of Viz that publishes Japanese SF in translation).

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”