Plissken
Lord

DeLay Blocks Sweatshop Legislation

Post by Plissken »

msnbc.msn.com/id/7654774/
By Sharon Theimer
The Associated Press
Updated: 8:04 p.m. ET April 27, 2005

WASHINGTON - Over two years, House Majority leader Tom DeLay had at least two dozen discussions with a lobbyist working to keep a U.S. territory’s factories free from new labor laws. The lobbyist contributed to the House leader’s campaigns and arranged travel for him.

Records show that DeLay’s staff spoke with the lobbyist, Jack Abramoff, or his team almost daily during this period.

DeLay’s office kept Abramoff, now under criminal investigation, routinely apprised of congressional efforts to block new regulations on his client, the Northern Mariana Islands...

...DeLay’s office said Tuesday he made decisions on the merits, not because of Abramoff’s largesse or lobbying. “People know that Majority Leader DeLay stands on principles and bases his voting decisions on the merits,” spokesman Dan Allen said.
There are a few important points here:

1) The "new rules" are really old rules. The legislation here was to let US Territories factory workers be protected by the same laws as workers in the States.

2) The person proposing the blocked legislation was a Republican. (Just in case you were wondering if it was difficult >cough< to do anything but whine, if you disagree with the majority!)

3) Among the abuses listed by the workers in these US Territory sweatshops:

- Unsafe drinking water, no hot water, no Air Conditioning, etc.
- 14 hour days, 7 days a week
- Sexual harassment, up to and including forced prostitution.
- Forced Abortions for those women who became pregnant on the job. (Culture of Life, anyone?)

4) Anyone enjoy looking for the "Made in the USA" Label? Guess where it's likely made! Gap, Old Navy, Levi's...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

What a tool.......DeLay, not you Plissken.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Well, of course that's what you meant. I mean who could possibly think that I'm a tool?

>runs for cover<
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Isn't this the guy thats accused of all those "ethics violations"?

It never ceases to amaze me that with a good deal of money, it seems like the public, (rich businessmen?) get to have such influence on the process of legislation.

Thought the principles of a democracy were that every single person had an equal say in how things were done?

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Avatar wrote:Isn't this the guy thats accused of all those "ethics violations"?
In a word, yes. :(
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Although, as usual, the debate has been framed poorly. The point that Delay got free travel from lobbyists is minor compared to his manipulating of the Ethics Committee and the types of quasi-legal support he's shown the lobbyists who paid him off - this story is just one example of the type of support he's given, and it's ramifications.

Instead of discussing this, we're discussing which politicians travelled where, and on who's dime.

Post by Avatar »

Mirrors and misdirection.

--A
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

is anyone surprised that Republicans are found to support forced labor? though unions have become bloated and corrupt, they did keep us from the sweat shops that Delay seems to enjoy.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Everyone in politics supports forced labor because it provides inexpensive products for American consumption, which (in the short term) is good for the economy.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Post by Avatar »

Excellent point Cail.

--A
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Cail wrote:Everyone in politics supports forced labor because it provides inexpensive products for American consumption, which (in the short term) is good for the economy.
Except, of course, those that don't support it.

"Everybody's doin' it!" is a refuge that's a couple of steps below patriotism.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I hate Representative DeLay. That guy is a major douchebag.
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

it's funny, at my kitchen we get our fruits and vegetables from all over the world. hell, we grow some of our own, but someone thought we should bypass most homegrown fruits/veggies. i can't remember what it was, but we had a product grown in Texas and then shipped to Canada for packing, then brought back to Texas for distribution. we do get our frozen fish from New Hampshire.

Post by Avatar »

Slightly edited by me, Cail wrote:it provides inexpensive products for _______ consumption, which (in the short term) is good for the economy.

:lol: That was the bit I was agreeing with.
Dennis wrote:it's funny, at my kitchen we get our fruits and vegetables from all over the world.
Try living in a country which exports all of its best produce overseas, instead of importing it.

Admittedly, I think most of our stuff goes to Europe. I swear, I got better South African fruit there than I've ever seen here, because we only keep the second grade stuff for ourselves.

dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

the whole system is messed up. Americans losing jobs because politicians made it easier for companies to move over seas. helping big business, but hurting the working man.

Post by Avatar »

As Cail suggests, in the long term, it's not a good idea. The system is messed up. In a lot of ways. One possibility is that it'll get so messed up, that people will finally get around to demanding a better one.

--A
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

edit
Last edited by dennisrwood on Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

At least the viewers of that show can be bothered to vote...

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

--A
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

edit
Last edited by dennisrwood on Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Coercri”