Questions (That Need Answering) about Australia

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Should Turiya move to and live in Australia?

Please, God, don't do this to us!
8%
Sure, she can stay. As long as she's behind lots of protective safety glass.
58%
Here, have a vegimite sandwich. (Sorry, that song is on now. I can't help myself.)
33%

Total votes: 12

Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Questions (That Need Answering) about Australia

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Okay, I'm moving there in about 4 years to go to college and well... live for the rest of my relatively short human life. However, I, being the culturally impovershed (wonders if that's really a word) hillbilly child that I am, have a few questions that I've been wondering about for the last few days. (Also, I'm too bad at using the search engines to find anything myself, so I figured I'd ask some real people.)

1) What's the Drinking Age?
2) What's the Measurment System? (Please be metric, please be metric...)
3) Are there any autobahns? (Please yes, please yes...)
4) Are the kangaroos and emus so populous that no matter where you look you'll always see some? (What am I talking about?)
5) Do American appliances, such as computers, toasters, waffle irons, etc., work there?
6) Which side of the road do y'all drive on?

Remember, please, that I'm going to be a physician's assistant, which is a physician who can't be sued. :twisted: *sings the malpractice song*
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Just remember your going to be upsidedown all the time if you move there.
So keep your pockets zippered.
Oh, and the toilets flush and the sinks drain in the wrong direction too!
:lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Nuh-uh! There's gravity and all that.... The toilets I'm not sure about.

7) What's the deal with the toilets?

If you're ever on my table... :twisted: (and not in the nice way, either.)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I suppose if you enjoy eating meat a lot (especially lamb), watching soccer and cricket on the news for several hours per day, and drinking beer from an oil can (while eating lamb and watching the sports), the answer should be a no brainer ... :wink:
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Wayfriend wrote:I suppose if you enjoy eating meat a lot (especially lamb), watching soccer and cricket on the news for several hours per day, and drinking beer from an oil can (while eating lamb and watching the sports), the answer should be a no brainer ... :wink:
Um...maybe I'll start vacationing in Australia!
Now I'm hungry.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

7) What's the deal with the toilets?
have you never watched the Simpsons episode "Bart vs Australia"?
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

1) 18
2) Metric, you Yanks are the only people still using Imperial (except Liberia and Burmah, who don't have official measurement systems)
3) I don't think they do
4) Yes, Kaola bears too
5) Anything that plugs into the mains won't work. They use 240V 50Hz mains supply like in the UK, in the US you use 11V 60Hz mains supply. Your 110V devices will be burnt out unless you get a special transformer. (That's after you get the adaptor that allows you to use your weird plugs with their weird plug sockets.)
6) On the left, like everyone should, damnit!
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

America uses the Imperial system because it allows us to go further in our cars.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

Nuh-uh. Travelling at the same speed, I can cover a whole 500 k's while you do a mere 310 miles.
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

dANdeLION wrote:America uses the Imperial system because it allows us to go further in our cars.
Imperial = expansionist.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Nathan wrote:1) 18
2) Metric, you Yanks are the only people still using Imperial (except Liberia and Burmah, who don't have official measurement systems)
3) I don't think they do
4) Yes, Kaola bears too
5) Anything that plugs into the mains won't work. They use 240V 50Hz mains supply like in the UK, in the US you use 11V 60Hz mains supply. Your 110V devices will be burnt out unless you get a special transformer. (That's after you get the adaptor that allows you to use your weird plugs with their weird plug sockets.)
6) On the left, like everyone should, damnit!
Yay! You're helpful! *gives him a gold star sticker* Whoohoo, when I get to... whichever part I'm going to, I can get drunk at my one-person apartment-warming party. Unless anyone wants to come welcome me to the continent...? ( :twisted: )
Wayfriend wrote:I suppose if you enjoy eating meat a lot (especially lamb), watching soccer and cricket on the news for several hours per day, and drinking beer from an oil can (while eating lamb and watching the sports), the answer should be a no brainer ... :wink:
Sounds like fun. :) *drools* Lamb and soccer....

What kind of car should I get? Is there a McDonalds? (Or other fast food place where they'd hire me?) Heh, I'm intelligent enough to get loads of scholarships (they've already offered me some, and I can't even drive yet), but I'm a girl: I likes da shopping. Oh, and how are y'all alien population-wise? (The space kind.) Is Halloween avidly celebrated or just ignored?

Heh, silly beyond words. TF
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

It's not soccer...it's Australian Rules Football (we do call it "football" or "footy" here)...or if you live in NSW and some of the backwards states <grin> when they talk about "football" they refer to rugby. And we eat beef more than lamb (lamb costs far too much these days!).

Turiya: I'd hate to tell you but we don't really celebrate Halloween. A few people do, but if you went looking for tricks or treats on Halloween a lot of people just might look at you like you were from another planet!

We have McDonalds, KFC, Burger King (also known as "Hungry Jacks" depending on which state you live in).

And it's a complete myth about the wildlife! There's no kangaroos, koalas, emus, echidnas or the like in the capital cities (unless you go to the zoo). You'd get to see some possums and fruit bats in some of the gardens in the city but that's it. HOWEVER, once you get out of the cities you'll find there's animals to see everywhere (as long as you know where to look!).

It's a fantastic place to live though! Highly recommended!
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by safetyjedi »

Aussie Rules Football rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just don't pet any of the spiders or snakes you might encounter there and you'll be okay.
Join me and we can end this destructive conflict...
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Seareach wrote:It's not soccer...it's Australian Rules Football (we do call it "football" or "footy" here)...or if you live in NSW and some of the backwards states <grin> when they talk about "football" they refer to rugby. And we eat beef more than lamb (lamb costs far too much these days!).
*Looks sideways at Seareach*
The Lions havent done too badly for coming from a backwards state :P

Wow Turiya that is FANTASTIC news. Where abouts are planning on going to university???
There really isnt too much about Australia that differs from USA except the sports, the native flora and fauna and the indigenous culture. Otherwise its basically the same. Well theres the metric system yes, and the whole driving on the other side of the road thing. But if you dont have a license then that shouldnt be a problem... you just have to remember which side of the car is the passenger side.

As for the rest.....
It's a fantastic place to live though! Highly recommended!
What Seareach said. :)
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by safetyjedi »

I agree, I have been there several times and would absolutely love to get transferred there. I may get to go back on business later this year.
Join me and we can end this destructive conflict...
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Infelice wrote:Wow Turiya that is FANTASTIC news. Where abouts are planning on going to university???
There really isnt too much about Australia that differs from USA except the sports, the native flora and fauna and the indigenous culture. Otherwise its basically the same. Well theres the metric system yes, and the whole driving on the other side of the road thing. But if you dont have a license then that shouldnt be a problem... you just have to remember which side of the car is the passenger side.
Er, I'm not going yet. I'm only 14, as it is. :roll: I tried looking on Google for immigration stuff, but I'm, er, "Google-challenged". Oh, believe me, I'll be driving when I get to... er... wherever. I'm thinking somewhere near the coast. *hunts for map, can't find it* Eh, I'll figure it out sooner or later. *pictures self at airport, still looking at map of Oz* And remember, I'm likely to be your doctor. :twisted:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

A terrifying thought under any circumstances. ;)

--A
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Don't make me get the big popsicle stick thingy. :P *as of yet, has no grasp of medical terminology* And the great part is: I can't be sued if you die on my table. Mwahahahahahahehehahaha!!!! :twisted:

Oh, and I found the bit I'm moving to: Victoria. Apparently, they have a very high alien population. :) The space kind, I mean. Supposedly, off the coast there's an RV park for space ships. 8) *grabs UFO t-shirt* Hmm... need to get more of these... shopping... *drools* :roll:
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Edge wrote:Nuh-uh. Travelling at the same speed, I can cover a whole 500 k's while you do a mere 310 miles.
But we're NOT travelling at the same speed. We're travelling at the superior, Imperial speed, while you suckers are using the inferior, metric speed.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

come one come all to the greatest land on earth(except fiji-i love that place)victoria is a great state especially for an 18,19 year old theres so much to do.you have to take the Great Ocean Drive(all australians should do this by the way)on a hot afternoon. stop off in torquay for a surf a bite and a 10 ounce or two(thats a beer or two[you'll pick the sayings up])and then race into melbourne for a footy match-the Red and Bluues rule all.oooh, i'm sooo excited for you!remember tho that the weather can be quite tempremental in victoria altho its nice during the summer.the best part is tho, that your just a ferry ride away from tas-great!the alien sightings are exceptionally high here but there mainly just being confused with the human inhabitants.look forward to seeing alight on these shores some time in the near future LOL.
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”