I shall soon be among you...- Some Spoilers

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

I shall soon be among you...- Some Spoilers

Post by Revan »

Gart is going to send me these books... I've been told they're loads better than Jordan. Though Jordan sucks so bad that this is not reassuring. You'll understand that when i was recently given a choice to read Jordan or be tortured by Germans who still believe in Hitlers regime against the Jews, I found the prospect of reading Jordan again so sickening that I chose to be tied up and tortured, made to scream for 10 straight hours; and thought that was the better choice. (The saddening yet ironic part for me was that the Germans decided to torture me by reading Jordan to me. What ever happened to good old pins and needles? Still, no denying the experience was painful)

Still, I look forward to reading these books. And I shall enjoy posting what little I can here. :)
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Don't worry Darth, he's better than Jordan.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

You mean he can move the plot? That would be so amazing to see again, after reading Jordan, I've forgotten what a plot that goes somewhere is like...
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Yes, suprising as it might seem after reading Jordan, but he does.
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Even though I can't stand Jordan's work, I recognize the quality of his first 3 books, espeically i nrelation to when they came out, That said Jordan is not, has never been, and has now shown he will ever be 1/10 the writer Martin is.

No comparisson.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Martin is one of my favorite writers of all time and all genres. 8)

I hope that you will greatly enjoy his work. 8)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Martin is one of the best, if not THE best, pure fantasy writers out there. Don't worry Darth, New Mexico gave you SRD and Roger Zelazny: a not too shabby track record! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

danlo,

Indeed, I have noticed that your neck of the woods has come up with a lot of great fantasy authors!

I think that New Mexico is pretty artist-friendly eh?
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I think there must be something in the water out there. :P

I think part of it must be the landscape, actually. How can you live in such diversity of beauty (mountains, desert, plains, volcanoes, forests, ancient ruins, many vibrant cultures) and not live a life filled with inspiration? 8)
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

duchess,

Hm very possible.
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Wha always astounded me (not why), but just by sheer numbers, is how many talented authors from the UK.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

WHY WOULD THAT SUPRISE YOU?!?!?!?!
We rule out here... :P Tolkien surpasses any writers yu people can spring out of thin air! :P

In truth, Tolkien is probably the best author of all time... I don't know what it is about his writing that makes it so... entrancive to read, something I can't put my finger on, he is the best author ever imo.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Of course, Tolkien was actually a South African, you know. (In a certain technical sense at least.)

--A
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

He was raised in birmingham!!!

I've had enough of your technical senses. :P

Anyways, anyone thinkn i need to know anything about what happens in these books before I start reading them?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

But born and lived the first 3 years of his life in Bloemfontein, capital of the then independent republic of the Orange Free State, which soon after became a province of South Africa.

Anyway, I better get out of this forum, haven't read any of these books yet, so I've got no business being here. ;)

--A
OsRavan
Woodhelvennin

Post by OsRavan »

no darth. dont think so. if you get any questions as you read you can always answer. but the books are pretty good in the way they unfold (unlike some ::Cough erickson cough::) so you should be able to follow along etc easly enough
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Av,

:lol: Yeah we don't want your kind around this forum ;) Seriously man, check these books out though.

Darth,

Like I said above, these books are very, very good. Just read them. The amount of characters may overwhelm you at first (they did for me too), but you'll get beyond that.

Os,

You didn't enjoy Erikson's books? I loved Deadhouse Gates and Gardens of the Moon was excellent IMO.
OsRavan
Woodhelvennin

Post by OsRavan »

ohh i enjoyed erickson. hes not a faovrite of mine but i enjoyed it well enough.

however my point was that with erickson.. he doesnt explain anything. it doesnt unfold. he throws you in and its sink or swim. like.. some of the stuff they are talking about in book 1... relating to their magic (warrens iirc?) arent explained untill book 3. you have people talking what amounts to gibberish lol. and you dont understand the gibberish unless you read the first 3 or 4 books then look back and go "ohh.. thats what they meant" heh.

so if someone was reading erickson i would say... if you wanted to fully understand what the hell you were reading.. you had someone explain a few concepts for you instead of waiting 2 books
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Os,

Okay, yeah the Malazan Book of the Fallen is more confusing than ASOIAF.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Just though i would say i have started these books and its great, aswell as being epic, its also very funny - GRRM a comedy genious.

I especially liked the line
These barbarians have queer tastes Boys, horses, dogs...
might not be exactly right but it is hilarious.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”