Datacore Editing

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

robo
Ramen

Datacore Editing

Post by robo »

In the Afterword to The Real Story, SRD implies that datacore editing is analogous to something in Wagner's Ring. Was he thinking of the potion given to Siegfried to make him forget his past? Was SRD insinuating that Angus somehow absolved himself of his past crimes by removing their trace in the datacore?
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

perhaps but I would be disappointed if this was his rationale ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Nav
Lord

Navarino

Post by Nav »

SRD often refers to the whole Wagner thing, but at times the story isn't entirely faithful to the opera, and I'd say that the datacore editing is one of those times. Basically, there's no way that it allowed Angus to forget his past atrocities and become a genuine hero, but it prevented him from being executed on Com Mine, and thus enabled the UMCP to take him away for his modifications.

Another example of this is that, if the Gap Series was a faithful reproduction of the opera, Davies would have killed Holt Fasner. Donaldson has said that "Davies was directly responsible for Holt's death", but it occurs to me that he was a lot less directly responsible for it then the lasers in Angus' fists, given that he was all the way back over on Punisher at the time.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.

Re: Datacore Editing

Post by Guest »

robo wrote:In the Afterword to The Real Story, SRD implies that datacore editing is analogous to something in Wagner's Ring. Was he thinking of the potion given to Siegfried to make him forget his past? Was SRD insinuating that Angus somehow absolved himself of his past crimes by removing their trace in the datacore?
Datacore editing is similar to the way the gods made changes to the Staff of Law (the one in the ring, not the one in Thomas Covenenant). The Gods want to undo something, but they can't so they add something. This was in Siegfried, I believe.
Loredoctor
Lord

Re: Navarino

Post by Loredoctor »

Navarino wrote:SRD often refers to the whole Wagner thing, but at times the story isn't entirely faithful to the opera, and I'd say that the datacore editing is one of those times. Basically, there's no way that it allowed Angus to forget his past atrocities and become a genuine hero, but it prevented him from being executed on Com Mine, and thus enabled the UMCP to take him away for his modifications.

Another example of this is that, if the Gap Series was a faithful reproduction of the opera, Davies would have killed Holt Fasner. Donaldson has said that "Davies was directly responsible for Holt's death", but it occurs to me that he was a lot less directly responsible for it then the lasers in Angus' fists, given that he was all the way back over on Punisher at the time.
Agreed.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “The Gap Series”