First Annual Kevin's Watch Awards

Spotlighting Watchers and posts that go Above and Beyond the call of duty.

Moderators: Menolly, [Syl]

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:How about "Funniest Watcher?" ... 'cause I know who I'll vote for. :shifty: :P
Insanity Falls? Heh.

Let me know if you need any help at all, Syl. I'd be glad to lend a hand if I can. If you need me to help make awards or whatever.-jay
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ok, let's stop derailing the thread guys...and sorry Dennis, Syl's already called all security-related issues (long ago) under the title Hand of Justice. :)

Esmer...I'm sure we can fit you in somewhere:
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
The paranoids are right: They've got lot's of enemies. Who would want to be their friends?
Stalin's paranoia was a self-fulfilling prophecy. So was Bucky Fuller's optimism.
Oh, and Jay, love the new Jaytar. Awesome. :D

--A
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, Jay, if you or anyone else wants to create images for the awards, by all means...
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

This is interesting... I look forward to going through the different dissections to see which one is the best... But it's going to be hard, there are a lot of good people and posts on the watch... hmmm....

Nice on, anyways Syl, if you need a hand, just ask.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Ok, the categories are:
1. Best Avatar
2. Best Signature
3. Best Title
4. Best Post in a Thomas Covenant Related Forum (Thomas Covenant, Runes of the Earth, Thomas Covenant Movie)
5. Best Thread in a Thomas Covenant Related Forum (Thomas Covenant, Runes of the Earth, Thomas Covenant Movie)
6. Best Post in a Stephen Donaldson Related Forum (The Gap Series, Mordant's Need, Reed Stephens and Other Works, General SRD)
7. Best Thread in a Stephen Donaldson Related Forum (The Gap Series, Mordant's Need, Reed Stephens and Other Works, General SRD)
8. Best Post in a Non-Stephen Donaldson Related Literature Forum (General Fantasy/Sci-Fi, The Library)
9. Best Thread in a Non-Stephen Donaldson Related Literature Forum (General Fantasy/Sci-Fi, The Library)
10. Best Post in a Collective Forum (Hile Troy's Think Tank, The Close, The Loresraat, The Galley, The X-Forum)
11. Best Thread in a Collective Forum (Hile Troy's Think Tank, The Close, The Loresraat, The Galley, The X-Forum)
12. Best Post in a Waymeet Forum (Sports, Vespers, Computer/Console Gaming, TV Shows, Flicks)
13. Best Thread in a Waymeet Forum (Sports, Vespers, Computer/Console Gaming, TV Shows, Flicks)
14. Best Post in a General Forum (Announcements and Suggestions, Q&A + Help, The Summonsing, General Discussion)
15. Best Thread in a General Forum (Announcements and Suggestions, Q&A + Help, The Summonsing, General Discussion)
16. Best Dissection of a Thomas Covenant Chapter
17. Best Dissection of a Mordant's Need Chapter
18. Best Dissection of a Man Who Shot His Brother
19. Best Poem in the Hall of Gifts
20. Best Short Story in the Hall of Gifts
21. Watcher of the year
22. Newbie of the year
23. Moderator of the year
24. Most insane
25. Most creative SRD-themed username
26. Best "what kind of ____ are you" thread
27. Funniest
28. Most literate
29. Biggest Softy / Most kindhearted
30. MIA Watcher of the year
That's it. Vote for whomever you want. Send me a PM (I'll put a sample one in the next post). The voting will run until the end of November (or maybe later). I'll PM you back to tell you your vote has been counted (in case my inbox gets too crowded).

Remember, only posts within the last year (since the beginning of November '04 to today) count for best post (except for Dissections). Only threads created within the last year count for best thread.

Good luck, everyone.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

SAMPLE BALLOT
<<ALL OTHER BALLOTS TO BE SENT TO ME BY PM>>
1. Syl - the nifty pic with the boat
2. Syl - "Zhun - beginning"
3. Syl - Regulator
4. Syl - About Caerroil Wildwood, page 3
5. Syl - Meatlore... or Beef, it's what's for dinner (ineligible, but you get the point)
6. No vote
7. No vote
8. No vote
9. No vote
16. Syl - The Illearth War, Chapter 19
17. No vote
18. Syl - The Man Who Killed His Brother, Chapter 20
19. Syl - Fernley, NV (also ineligible)
20. Syl - Alone
21. Syl
26. Syl - "What kind of warrior are you?"
30. Syl
As you can see, you can skip categories, write in No Vote, or whatever if you don't feel like voting. Or you can vote for me. Would have the same effect.

It's only going to be the first part of the vote, the KW Member, that counts towards the vote. The second part is just for posterity. It would be very helpful if people provided links, but it's not mandatory.

Again, good luck.
-George Steiner
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

you mean we have to pick our own topic or post to vote on? I have to "read the whole Kevin's Watch" just to vote on the particular categories? shheeesh! Is this thing run by Republicans? talk about "voter intimidation", maaaan. :roll:

;)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

You should post the ballot as a new topic, and make it an announcement. Some people who have been ignoring the chat in this thread may not therefore notice it here.
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

I think you should definately have your nominations for each category, then have the membership vote on those nominations.

Is that how you're going to do this?

Kewl idea!
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'm trying to make the process as simple and painless as possible for others. If nothing comes to mind or you don't feel like researching, it's perfectly ok to leave some blank. Again, there are no nominations. Just vote for someone. Whoever has the most votes wins.

Next year, if someone else wants to run it, they can do nominations and all that. I just know that the more complicated things are around here, the less likely they are to go anywhere. I hope that by this time next year it will have a little more momentum, get more participation, and all that which would make the nomination process easier.
-George Steiner
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Wayfriend wrote:You should post the ballot as a new topic, and make it an announcement. Some people who have been ignoring the chat in this thread may not therefore notice it here.
Absolutely. Just happened to me.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

have i won anything yet? :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

sgtnull wrote:have i won anything yet? :)
What about me!!! ;)

Ya don't want the Wyrm angry!!! :twisted:
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Just want to post a thank you for Syl, for doing a fine job at organization and execution.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

bravo. unless i lose.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Heh, ok, I threw this together. Perhaps we can give something like this to all of the winners? Thus establishing an even greater sense of eliteness and clique-dom here at the Watch? Heh.

Let me know what you think, Syl, since this is your ball game afterall. I'll be glad to change it at all to how you'd like it. Like I said, I just threw this together, so it's nothing special. Think of it as a test run, heh.-jay
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Looks good to me
-George Steiner
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

love the trophy Jay.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Perhaps a "Best Trophy Designer" category?! ;)
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!

Return to “The Watchy Awards Forum”