the Creator himself
1%
something else (please specify)
37%

Total votes: 84

The Leper Messiah
Servant of the Land

Post by The Leper Messiah »

I guessed TC as that is close, of all the options, to what I think she is. If I was writting it that is who she would be :D Of course she could be any of the other options listed except ordinary!!! If there is one thing we have discovered in our musings its that she is anything but ordinary!!!
Man, surrounded by facts, permitting himself No surprise,
No intuitive flash,
No great hypothesis,
No risk,
Is in a locked cell.
Ignorance cannot seal the mind and imagination more securely. -Albert Einstein
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

LEPER MESSIAH?!?!? 8O Dude!! How the heck are ya???
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

finn wrote:Names are important in SRD's writing and the 'doubt' part of her name is not just the negative worry, or concern, or lack of confidence; it can also be a part of words like 'redoubt', a strong place, part of a keep or castle.
Good post, finn. Hmm, maybe she's the embodiment of the spirit of Revelstone, then? That's something to ponder. But in the meantime, I'm with Murrin: No fscking clue. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The Leper Messiah wrote:I guessed TC as that is close, of all the options, to what I think she is. If I was writting it that is who she would be :D
From this I can tell that you are a very intelligent, perceptive, and wise person. :wink:
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

She is other and I am sticking to what I said at the beginning of the Mahdoubt thread.
khatalenabwraith wrote:I thought I was alone in my thoughts about the Mahdoubt. I find it surprising that SRD planned it that way - (Dune's Shadout Mapes in relationship to her name AND her loyalty?) maybe to give us a kick in our memory centers of our brains?

I also think of the forestals, giant lore, or hidden powers cloaked in a multitude of colors. She may be more or she maybe just odd - but her mystery - as well as the overal feeling she provides does mean something. She is both contradiction and balance...
I need to add my thoughts in reference to the Bible and Joseph's coat of many colors.
She was a dusky, loamy woman, with hair like tangled brown grass, and an old face uneven and crude of outline, as if it had been inexpertly molded in clay. The hood of a tattered fallow-green cloak covered the crown of her head. And her eyes were the brown of soft mud, an unexpected and suggestive brown, as if the silt of some private devotion filled her orbs, effaced her pupils-as if the black, round nexus between her mind and the outside world were something that she had surrendered in exchange for the rare, rich loam of power. Yet there was no. confidence, no surety, in her gaze as she regarded him; the life which had formed her eyes was far behind her. Now she was old, timorous. Her voice rustled like the creaking of antique parchment ...
Could it be that with the Law of Death broken and the fact she died to save TC that she now lives? This may be why she has a multicolored cloak - to indicate all the lives she saved as a healer? And because she nolonger needs to represent just the land with her brown eyes she has two colored eyes????
I think it is wishful thinking that she may be Kassy's lover (wanting to know more about Cail and the Merewives) and having someone to balance Esmer. I truly believe she is the unnamed healer that saved Covenant.
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Interesting reasoning, but no! :wink:
fall far and well Pilots!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

A lightbulb just went off when I read the description that khatalenabwraith re-posted. Look at the words SRD uses to describe her: loamy...brown grass...clay...fallow-green...soft mud...silt. But, too, "the life which had formed her eyes was far behind her." Could she be the embodiment of the Land as it used to be? Earthpower incarnate?

Just a thought.... It was probably brought up on the 22-page thread that I haven't ever read thoroughly -- if so, I apologize. :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
TalonHawk
Servant of the Land

Post by TalonHawk »

There's only reasoning left as to who she is...

Did we ever really hear that a certain race had a certain sex..?

It's...

::: drum roll :::

Nom

(who has become more human and a divided nature from the Raver soul juice)

;-)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

aliantha wrote:A lightbulb just went off when I read the description that khatalenabwraith re-posted. Look at the words SRD uses to describe her: loamy...brown grass...clay...fallow-green...soft mud...silt. But, too, "the life which had formed her eyes was far behind her." Could she be the embodiment of the Land as it used to be? Earthpower incarnate?
This theory would need to include a reason why Linden did not see this, as she is otherwise quite capable of spotting Earthpower-enriched people (such as Anele).

And why put on ratty clothes and clean middens for a living?

Of course, my theory explains all these things ... :wink:
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

Wayfriend wrote:And why put on ratty clothes and clean middens for a living?

Of course, my theory explains all these things ...
So does mine! I suspect the Mahdoubt probably doesn't do much routine servant stuff, but everyone assumes that she does because everyone is charmed to think the best of her. We haven't seen her when she's not around Linden.
Cord
Woodhelvennin

Post by Cord »

i think a Raver

Perhaps Samedhi, or whats left of it after the sandgorgon had its fun with it.
Shihad
Fat Freddy's Drop
Katchafire
Kerb
Giantfriend

Post by Kerb »

I hazarded a guess, maybe one of the Dead, from long ago, a citizen from Revelstone. With a false eye.

May need to read The Runes Of The Earth again, and glean more when the next book is published.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

So what became of the one blue eye and one brown eye?

Aliantha's theory is interesting in that the masters have been collecting earthpower-rich people and keeping them "safe" in Revelstone.
Giant Friend
Banned

Post by Giant Friend »

I think its inescapable that SRD was inpired by Shadout Mapes, the housekeeper for the royal family Arakkis. But, that nom notion is most curious, the two eye colors, and the name inspiration from the desert home of Nom. Sand Gorgons were indeed listed along with all the other crazy stuff hinted at in Runes. But those grass streaks on lindens pants are like the marks that TC and Mhoram got in Morinmoss, reinvoking the Unfettered One. Nah, intriguing but it cant be her. BTW why would anyone think she is demondim? I see no cause for this.
Giant Friend
Banned

Post by Giant Friend »

Well with all these theories...i have mah doubts!
Giant Friend
Banned

Post by Giant Friend »

The Mahdoubt may be a Jeherrin,... the description of her being like the result of being "sculpted by an unruly child during a tantrum" is just what he Jeherrin WERE!. Damn, I wish I had a copy of the PTP! She may be the one that was foretold, the Pure One, wasnt it?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch Giant Friend. :) Just a heads up, we usually try and avoid double or triple posting in general. You can easily edit your posts to include later thoughts if nobody has replied to you. :)

And yeah, I don't think she is Demondim either. Just doesn't feel possible, let alone right.

Giant Friend
Banned

Post by Giant Friend »

Avatar wrote:Welcome to the Watch Giant Friend. :) Just a heads up, we usually try and avoid double or triple posting in general. You can easily edit your posts to include later thoughts if nobody has replied to you. :)

And yeah, I don't think she is Demondim either. Just doesn't feel possible, let alone right.

:oops: thanx for the tip
GF
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Another 'other', is something I think I posted in the long 19 page some while back.

I wonder what happened to Melma and her people. They called Revelstone their home, and could be interpreted as also being included in TCs sugestion to the Haruchai for Revelstone to be taken care of. Some of them were people of power.

An "order" of these people could have been looking after Revelstone ever since, its even possible that Melma could be the Madoubt in the same way as the bloodguard made their vow. Melma's people had a lot of blood on their hands and the Land is a place of extravagant acts of atonement.

She is referred to as 'one' of those who look after Revelstone and her power as perceived by Mahtiir could be the power/lore of the clave.

Just a thought.....ho hum!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

That's an inspiring idea, finn.

The Haruchai became the masters of Revelstone (before they became the Masters). However, what happened to the na-Mhoram-ites?

With Gibbon's eradication, the Clave was disbanded, I presume. However, what could have happened to the lore-wise na-Mhoram-ies? Many of them were not evil, just duped - they could adapt to the new world. And, while the Banefire was quenched and the Sunbane was healed, still, they were lore-wise. So they must have cast about for a way to redirect their accumen and their potential, found a new body of lore, begin a new mode of expressing power.

The Sunbane was corrupted Earthpower, and Earthpower remains. These ex-na-Mhoram-iks might have discovered that real Earthpower was a near cousin of the Sunbane, closely enough related that they could make a transition to a new understanding of their lore.

Which means some people of power may have remained in Revelstone, grew, thrived, and chosen their destiny.

Where did they go? Could the na-Doubt ... oops, I mean the Mahdoubt ... be a descendent of one of these folk?

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”