And the (past) winners are...

Spotlighting Watchers and posts that go Above and Beyond the call of duty.

Moderators: Menolly, [Syl]

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Congratulations all! And thanks to those who voted for me, and thank you Syl.

I'm humbled.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

The Esmer wrote:
there goes my chances with Lady Revel

(btw, sarge, I voted for you! pal! )
:Help:
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

:bwave:
congrats from the bleachers...
:lol:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:Still trying to figure out why people would think I'm kind-hearted...
Clearly the news that you're allowing Jay to post a picture of you has got out already and melted your notoriously icy persona ;) :mrgreen:
wayfriend

Re: And the winners are...

Post by wayfriend »

Congratulations to the winners.
4. Best Post in a Thomas Covenant Related Forum (Thomas Covenant, Runes of the Earth, Thomas Covenant Movie)
DLB
(runner up: Danlo)

5. Best Thread in a Thomas Covenant Related Forum (Thomas Covenant, Runes of the Earth, Thomas Covenant Movie)
Aleksandr for The Mahdoubt
Okay, now I have someone to gun for next year ...
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Congrats all!
Nice to see some of the people i voted for won.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I am honored to even be nominated in such august company. Congrats to all the winners! And kudos to Syl for the idea and the manual labor!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

Congratulations, All!! Great job Syl, and excellent idea. You pulled it off flawlesly.
Once again, congrats, all! Now you just have to wait for jay to present your awards! :D

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

Thanks for the votes, I'm honoured. :)

Congrats to all other winners, and Syl: thanks for organising this!
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Thanks, all. Glad you enjoyed it. Congratulations to everyone who got an award as well as the runners up (kind of hard to explain, but in a lot of cases, I basically had to fit the award to the person, so except in the cases of Avatar and SBG, if you missed the award, don't be upset, because it wasn't by much if it was by anything).

As for it going flawlessly... heh. It was actually pretty easy. I had perhaps about a dozen votes to tally. And as some may have noticed, there were awards not given. Those ones didn't get any votes. *shrug*

Next year, I imagine it can be done better. I already have some ideas. What ideas? Glad you asked.

First, we create a new (probably temporary) forum in the Waymeet. There, everyone can brainstorm categories. Then, each category gets nominations. Then, a poll is added to the category thread, with all members that received a 2nd on their nomination. Everyone votes in the polls, and so forth.

I considered that route this time, but I thought a completely secret process would keep cliqueiness and popularity from unreasonably affecting the voting. Considering the low number of ballots, it probably would've been the lesser of two evils.

But hey, it was all in fun, and since fun appears to have been had (damn it ;) ), I guess it was a success.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Syl: you did a great job, and the new ideas also sound great. and I'm not sure I would win a popularity contest. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Syl wrote:16. Best Dissection of a Thomas Covenant Chapter
Earthblood for The Illearth War: Chapter 6
(runner up: Furls and WGW Ch 19)

29. Biggest Softy / Most kindhearted
Furls
(runners up: Duchess of Malfi, Alynna lis Eachann)
Wow.. :oops:

Thank you for the votes everyone, I didn't expect this at all :hearts:

my cup runneth over...

Congrats to everyone else who won as well! :letsparty:

And kudos to Syl for putting it all together...HUGGLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS |G
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

heh, nice one Syl. i didn't actually get round to voting... but it looked like fun.

Well done to all winners. And I agree, Avatar, your award was well deserved. :D

Best Thread in a General Forum (Announcements and Suggestions, Q&A + Help, The Summonsing, General Discussion)
ChoChiyo for I'm Gonna be Rich

heh, so was this one. Probably the funniest thread Ii've ever read! :D

Though I'm quite emotionally crushed and infinitely hurt that the great people of Kevinswatch I rank on level with Zeph...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Thanks Darth...and all because of you... ;)

--A
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Ooooh, I just noticed I got an award! Thanks guys, and thanks Syl, and congratulations everyone else!
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Huh? How the heck did I win "funniest member"? Is it because you all think that I'm funny looking? You all like to laugh at me, is that it? That's....so mean... This is like high school all over again... I'm trying to be a serious administrator, and I always write good, serious and mature posts, and you all are laughing at me behind my back. I...don't know what to say... (Runs to his protective hide space) :cry: :cry: :cry:

Heh. ;)

But yeah, thanks all. I'm glad some of you think I'm amusing. Heh. One of the greatest joys in life is making people laugh and seeing people smile. If I manage to make even one person feel slightly better with one of my lame jokes, then it's all worth it.

Oh yeah, and I'll try to give out the awards soon. So, basically, every winner will get a 2005 Watchies item, right?-jay
wayfriend

Re: And the winners are...

Post by wayfriend »

Syl wrote:4. Best Post in a Thomas Covenant Related Forum (Thomas Covenant, Runes of the Earth, Thomas Covenant Movie)
DLB
(runner up: Danlo)
What was the post, BTW?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Heh. I was hoping nobody would ask. The, um, voter didn't specify.

And looking through the votes, it looks like Kins was a runner up, well, tied for first place, actually, in that category for "Bush, crooks, and other political criminals." I'd actually marked it in the best thread category. :( Sorry.

<edit>Ok, haven't got much sleep the last couple of days. That, obviously, isn't a Thomas Covenant related post. So Kins should have been given the runner up in a Collective forum.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

how could the Clown not win for funniest member?

oh yeah, Clowns aren't funny.

my bad.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

That was a surprise - I wasn't expecting to see my name up there, heh. It's inane enough, I suppose.

Congrats everyone who won.
Syl wrote:First, we create a new (probably temporary) forum in the Waymeet. There, everyone can brainstorm categories. Then, each category gets nominations. Then, a poll is added to the category thread, with all members that received a 2nd on their nomination. Everyone votes in the polls, and so forth.
Now you make me wish I hadn't suggested closing the MindMeld forum. Would've been the perfect place to carry this out (not that creating or removing forums is at all difficult to do, so it doesn't matter at all).

Return to “The Watchy Awards Forum”