Cell

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

SPKx
Stonedownor

Cell

Post by SPKx »

Stephen King's new novel comes out on Tuesday.

It's too bad I'm still in the middle of the Dark Tower series, since this one looks good.

Thoughts?
Sean Patrick Kelly
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'll be picking it up Tuesday, I'll let you know how it is Thursday.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i must call the library tomorrow.
drool.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

dang...i have to read Gilgamesh this week. poo...i'm going to buy it anyway. :twisted:

(i buy 'em even if i have low expectations, it would be against tradition to do otherwise...been buying 'em as soon as they came out since Carrie.)
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

i wait for the paperbacks.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Let me know what it's like Cail. (Though he was retiring huh?)

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I thought that was a bunch of crap from the get-go. An author that prolific can't just stop cold. I imagine he'll slow down a bit though.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cail wrote:I thought that was a bunch of crap from the get-go. An author that prolific can't just stop cold. I imagine he'll slow down a bit though.

and remember in Bag of Bones...the author who had 4 novels stashed away so nobody knew for 5 years that the guy couldn't write anymore???lord only KNOWS how many of those King's got stashed!!! :lol:
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'd forgotten about that. But yeah, as autobiographical as King can be, that wouldn't surprise me a bit.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I just read a spoilerish review (well, more like, "description", to be fair) of it at AintItCool (which sometimes branches into books).

My ten-second synopsis of that review, if you want it, is:
Spoiler
It's sort of like the idea for The Ring except with cell phones. And it looks like it was written to go straight to the theatre.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Wayfriend wrote:I just read a spoilerish review (well, more like, "description", to be fair) of it at AintItCool (which sometimes branches into books).

My ten-second synopsis of that review, if you want it, is:
Spoiler
It's sort of like the idea for The Ring except with cell phones. And it looks like it was written to go straight to the theatre.
ok...maybe i'll wait for the paperback! :lol: thanks Wayfriend!! ;)
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

King does have some unpublished stuff that we know of. early stuff that never got printed. he has also said that he at least outlined Salem's Lot II, so who knows what is there? and he could collect various short stories that haven't been collected from all points of his career. so there is stuff, but it was unpublished for a reason.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I'll get Cell this coming weekend. I was disappointed in The Colorado Kid, but my batting average with King is around 95 percent. If he writes it, I'll buy it.

I don't think King is slowing down. Another novel, Lisey's Story, will be published in September. 8)
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three

Post by Avatar »

I felt the same about his early stuff, but I haven't enjoyed much but the Tower since...Desperation or so.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Read Cell in a day. I liked it. There are some similarities to The Stand, but it's certainly not the rip-off that some reviewers are stating. I also think it ends well, which is another complaing of several reviwers.

It actually reminded me a lot of The Mist (which is a good thing). There's not a lot of explaination about what happened, just a good yarn about what happens afterwards.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

the Mist is my favorite of King's shorter stories. and somthing that really needs to be made into a well done movie.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I don't think it's possible. King's horror stuff just doesn't translate well to the big screen, even the short stories.

Use Trucks as an example. A good, solid short story. The King-written theatrical film Maximum Overdrive is one of the worst films ever made, and the straight to video version wasn't much better (although it was more faithful to the story).

Other than The Dead Zone (the movie), his horror stuff just flat sucks as movies.

The Mist, if done properly, would make a great film, and a great TV series.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

i tend to like the tv adaptations. as the screenwriters can't focus on gore and hae to work around it. STorm of the Century had a great image that stayed with me. when everyone is watching the docks fall into the sea, some folks are taken by Legion, just kind of sucked away. less gore and more horror is possible.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Overall, the miniseries' have been better. But the ending of It was butchered.

Post by Avatar »

Agreed. And The Mist was really awesome...just set up for a sequel too... ;)

--A

Return to “Stephen King Forum”