How has SRD's writing style affected your own?

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

How has SRD's writing style affected your own?

Post by variol son »

I noticed the other day how seldom I use commas when I write (usually emails or work-related notes). Instead I use what I think of as the "SRD-dash" - which you just saw then. :D

So, has anyone else noticed that the actual structure of their writing is affected by SRD?
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Yes, especially if I've just finished reading one of his books. I use the dash a lot, too. I also use his sentence structure, and get comments that "while it may be grammatically correct, it is difficult to read." Yeah, if you're a fifth-grader, maybe. :roll: Alas, I've not read or written anything in quite some time, so I have no direct examples. I tend to absorb everyone's writing style, though... <--lurch really got me using these. :oops:
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

SRD has improved my vocabulary, and that comes across in my English writing. I don't think SRD is at all hard to read, although I had to use the dictionary a lot when I started out. But then, I have the excuse of reading in my second language.

My style is probably most influenced by Tolkien, but I have read a lot, so it evens out.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

After reading SRD I tend use alot of ';'.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I think I picked my semicolons from Tolkien. He probably uses them more than SRD.

By the way, I have heard that Microsoft Word's grammar check marks every semicolon as an error?
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Yeah, I've run into it doing that, which is when I stopped using them. Haven't use Word since I satrted using dashes, so that will be an interesting experience, especially when school goes back in a few weeks.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

You shouldn't believe Microsoft over yourself. I've heard that the grammar checker is not really that good and doesn't understand the subtler points of English, and the people who rely on the spell checker without having a clue about homonyms are a bane of fanfiction.net.

True story about the failing of Word: Once upon a time the Word spell checker claimed that "tottapuhuen" (means roughly "as a matter of fact" in Finnish) was not a real word. It suggested "pottapuhuen" ("potty-talking" which is not only nonsensical but also ungrammatical in a way that doesn't translate; there is a nominative in the place of a partitive) and "rottapuhuen" ("rat-talking") instead. It was quite a while ago, but I don't use Windows anymore.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I now avoid the use of the double dash (--). I thought it was overused in Runes (to the point it annoyed me, especially when it featured at the end and start of paragraphs). Every time I go to use it my mind whispers "find something else to use!"

And I've adopted the SRD-esque mode of "emoticons" (ie: emotions/expressions in <>) when I send emails or write posts in discussion forums. I find that easier to do than using emoticons. And, where in the past some people misundersood what I was saying (my sense of humour doesn't convey very well when written), now that I use <grin> etc people seem to misunderstand me less (and thank goodness for that!)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Nerdanel wrote:By the way, I have heard that Microsoft Word's grammar check marks every semicolon as an error?
Most of the time, yes. But it's the 'fragmented' or 'passive' grammatical errors that drives me crazy.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Loremaster wrote:
Nerdanel wrote:By the way, I have heard that Microsoft Word's grammar check marks every semicolon as an error?
Most of the time, yes. But it's the 'fragmented' or 'passive' grammatical errors that drives me crazy.
Yes, I get "fragments" a lot. I just ignore the grammar checker, unless it's pointing out something obviously wrong, like missing a capital letter or using a comma where I wanted a full stop.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I use the "SRD-dash" frequently - and I won't apologize for it. :biggrin:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Can't say I've noticed my writing influenced. Will just point out that you can set your grammar check in Word to not tell you that something is a fragment, or in passive voice or whatever. It's fully customisable to whatever level you want it to check.

The grammar-check sure is dumb though...I always look at what it suggests, but I ignore it far more often than not. :D

--A
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I noticed I write a lot about half handend leppers lately...but that's probebly just a coincidence.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

drew wrote:I noticed I write a lot about half handend leppers lately...but that's probebly just a coincidence.
:LOLS:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Prom_STar
Bloodguard

Post by Prom_STar »

SRD has affected my writing both in a technical and general sense.
Technically I've learned to use semicolons by observing his usage and I've learned to be acceptably parenthetic in my writing.
More generally, SRD--specifically his comments in the GI--have made me really think about my writing. He's affected the way I go about "learning to write." Rather than pick up a "How to Write Well" book, I'll pick up a novel I like and trust the assimilation to bear fruit. And most of all, I have adopted SRD's "trust your excitment and be wary of those who tell you how to 'improve' your writing" policy.
Was auch immer komm, dieses weiß ich für sicher:
Ich bin zurückgekauft.

Wenn Diamanten reichlich war, würden sie keinen Wert haben. Echter Wert kommt nich aus schönheit--er kommt aus seltenheit.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Honestly, I couldn't tell you what effect SRD's writing has had on mine. I have no doubt that there is one, but I've been reading him for so long that I'd probably have to put any effects under the category of "unconscious influences".

Word's grammar checker: I turned the damned thing off. Those little wavy green lines make me crazy....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Prom_STar
Bloodguard

Post by Prom_STar »

aliantha wrote:Word's grammar checker: I turned the damned thing off. Those little wavy green lines make me crazy....
Whenever I have to reinstall word, turning off grammar checker is the first thing I do.

1.) it sucks

2.) if you want to learn grammar, read novels and The Elements of Style and you'll be fine--best of all, those don't have little green lines
Was auch immer komm, dieses weiß ich für sicher:
Ich bin zurückgekauft.

Wenn Diamanten reichlich war, würden sie keinen Wert haben. Echter Wert kommt nich aus schönheit--er kommt aus seltenheit.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Prom_STar wrote:Whenever I have to reinstall word, turning off grammar checker is the first thing I do.

1.) it sucks

2.) if you want to learn grammar, read novels and The Elements of Style and you'll be fine--best of all, those don't have little green lines
You took the words right out of my mouth! :D

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Prom_STar wrote:More generally, SRD--specifically his comments in the GI--have made me really think about my writing. He's affected the way I go about "learning to write." Rather than pick up a "How to Write Well" book, I'll pick up a novel I like and trust the assimilation to bear fruit. And most of all, I have adopted SRD's "trust your excitment and be wary of those who tell you how to 'improve' your writing" policy.
Me too. Occasionally from the GI (I don't usually read it) but also from other sources. SRD's answer to my question in a Q&A session is the thing that prompted me to have a go at writing in the first place.

Whether I'm any good is a different matter, but I feel more complete since I took up writing, and I do the best I can. I'm content with that. :)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

CovenantJr wrote:Whether I'm any good is a different matter, but I feel more complete since I took up writing, and I do the best I can. I'm content with that. :)
You are good.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”