Cosmic Comic Stories

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Cosmic Comic Stories

Post by Creator »

We have discussed in other threads (I'll admit it, I polluted the Superman thread! ;) ) cosmic, comic stories. Many are limited series. There did seem to be some interest and deep familiarity and opinions on these stories!

So let it out!!

What are your favorites cosmic story lines - DC or Marvel.

or Which ones do you absolutely hate!!

I forgot the exact name of the series, but I kinda liked the one where Thanos destroyed the Multiverse!!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

I forgot the exact name of the series, but I kinda liked the one where Thanos destroyed the Multiverse!!
The Thanos Quest (2 part sequence), The Infinity Gauntlent (6 part series) and later followed by The Infinity War (which was about Magus).

The Silver surfer is one of my favorite characters period. So anything Surfer is hot.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Oh boy, let me dust off my memories for this.
I've been out of comics for several years now so I'm not hip to the new stuff but here goes:

Quasar was very good in the beginning But then the artwork just fell into the toilet. There was once arc where he had to find the Living Laser who escaped through one of the Watcher's alternate reality "mirrors". He interacted with a lot of alternate reality cosmic beings. I really enjoyed that series. It ended with some of the worst art I've ever seen in a comic which was a shame because it was all about galactic beings at that time.

The Micronauts were great too.
The first and second series anyway.
(I don't even want to mention my lust for Marionette in the second series :grinlove: )
I see that they put out a new series recently but I didn't think much of it.

Guardians of the Galaxy was also one of my favorites too.
Great series that was good right up until the end.
It was all cosmic stuff.

The Silver Surfer had some great stories in the beginning of the Ron Lim era then the poor artwork killed it for me.

Is Doctor Strange "cosmic"?
I love Doctor Strange.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Lessee......my favorite Marvels are: Fantastic Four #48-50, featuring Galactus & the Watcher, Captain Marvel 26-34, Featuring Thanos & the Cosmic Cube, Strange Tales 178-181 & Warlock 9-13. featuring Thanos & Magus, Avengers 168-175, featuring Korvak, and the Dark Phoenix ended up pretty cosmic.

The original Mr. Miracle series was my fav DC one.

I hate all crosovers.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

jack Kirby's New Gods
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

dAN has excellent taste! (Although the resolution of the Korvak story is among my most disappointing moments in comic history. The rest of the story was great though!)

Ainulindale is quite right about the Silver Surfer, and Englehart's run on it was BRILLIANT!!!!!

HLT mentions Quasar, and his Maelstrom storyline was awesome! Micronauts (and Mari!!!!!!!!!) were, to my HUGE surprise, incredible.

I'll add:
-the aforementioned two-part Thanos Quest.
-Dreadstar
-The pre-Crisis Superman vs. Mongul stories
-LSH's Great Darkness Saga (My intro to the New Gods)
-BETA RAY BILL (And Ragnarok & Roll)
-Any time the Celestials show up. They're too much fun!! :D

And I'm sure I'll add more as I remember them. Good GL stuff here and there.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

the Giffen LSH with the Clone Legion.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Wow. testing my memory.
The three heros I read religously in 'the day' were: Spider-Man, Daredevil and X-men.

My faves from these three:

Spider-man: Two issue story of Spidey tring to stop the Juggernaught from getting 'the Black Widow'. Truly inspiring Spidy story. "Spidey vs. the Juggernaught?" you might say, "No, frigg'n way! Spidey shouldn't stand a chance!" And you are right. He doesn't. He gets tossed around, and otherwise beaten to a pulp, but he just doesn't give up! And 'defeats' Juggernaught only in a fluke manner. Still, I loved the determination and courage of the character. I found it very inspiring at the time.

Daredevil: Two story lines stick out in my mind. The whole Bullseye/Elektra stories that were introduced and collided around issues 169 - 181. Amazing art work and story. Loved them. Tragic shame the movie did not come within 1000 km of this great story and set up.
The other one is a 3 or 4 issue story line where Davedevil gets beat up by a group of villians from his past, gathered by Typhoid Mary. It continues in to a great story when "hell breaks loose" and Davedevil, in some strange half conscious manner, is battling demons (personal and real) .... I can't do the story justise, but it was great. Romita Jr. showed he has some artistic chops!

X-Men: this is a tough one, cause there are a number of good story lines, but I will single out the whole story-line leading up to Jean Grey turning in to the Pheonix and eventually Dark Pheonix. Moving character storylines not just action.

:)
comments?
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

X-Men Age of Apocylpse

--A
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Avatar wrote:X-Men Age of Apocylpse

--A
Is that the one where Apocalypse is an old man in the suit?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

No, that's "Ages of Apocalypse". Confusing, I know ;) Age of Apocalypse was the alternate world where Apocalypse ruled America with a cadre of mutants as his enforcers, Magneto led the X-Men after Xavier's death (inadvertedly caused by Xavier's son Legion, who had traveled back in time to kill Magneto instead) and lots of characters were different, especially among the non-mutant superhumans.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Nope, that's the one where Xavier gets killed in the past, trying to save Magneto from X's own son, totally disrupting reality.

Dude, if you don't know this one you're missing out. Apocalypse starts his program early, mutants dominate the world, the X-men are run by Magneto, trying to stop human genocide. Cyclops and Beast are evil, plenty going on. And awesome art.

Four prequels, LegionQuest 1-4, where Legion goes back to kill M and kills his father instead, the X-Men Alpha and 9 more, up to X-Men Omega. (Ignoring the cross-overs etc.

Best X-men story-line ever.

--A
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

This thread is like standing in a party where everyone knows each other and you don't and trying to make sense of what is being said.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Loremaster wrote:This thread is like standing in a party where everyone knows each other and you don't and trying to make sense of what is being said.
Huh? Did you say something?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Loremaster wrote:This thread is like standing in a party where everyone knows each other and you don't and trying to make sense of what is being said.
:lol: I agree! I thought I was a fan. You guys are awesome.

What about Earth X, Universe X, Paradise X - did anyone else think these were waaaaayyyyy to muddled!?
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Hey, It's not my fault I grew up on a comic book farm!
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

:lol: you guys read comics after I stopped, so I had no idea about Xavier dying and Magneto's son, etc... (sheesh!)
:oops:

And most of the tastes here are towards the sci-fi leanings. FF was great for that as were the avengers and Defenders --- the groups! Heck, even the X-men went in to space for a while, battling those 'Alien' type creatures, that Wolverine called Skrag?...
Entertaining but not my cup of tea. :wink:

I liked the more 'dow-to-earth' stories. The personality conflicts and character-driven stuff.

OK, I will stop myself now, for if this doesn't sound so 'hoytee-toytee' and making me sound like some comic-snob, I don;t know what does.

:oops:
sorry.

;)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

For down to earth character driven comic stories, NOTHING beats Spiderman!!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Usivius wrote:Daredevil: Two story lines stick out in my mind. The whole Bullseye/Elektra stories that were introduced and collided around issues 169 - 181. Amazing art work and story. Loved them. Tragic shame the movie did not come within 1000 km of this great story and set up.
I agreed on all counts. Elektra's first appearance was #158, and I began collecting comics three issues prior. Nice timing, eh? :D

My other favorite was the Miller (again)/Mazzucchelli Born Again. Freakin' blows me away!!!

I also like DD's fights against Bullet.
Usivius wrote:X-Men: this is a tough one, cause there are a number of good story lines, but I will single out the whole story-line leading up to Jean Grey turning in to the Pheonix and eventually Dark Pheonix. Moving character storylines not just action.
By coincidence, that's the same time as Elektra's introduction. My first X-Men purchase was Wolverine fighting the Hellfire Club's minions in the sewer. That and the next few issues are awesome! Fighting the Hellfire Club, trying to get Dark Phoenix to turn back into Jean, fighting the Imperial Guard. MAN! :D :D :D

Not long after, Alpha Flight and Wendigo, Dr. Doom... WOO HOO!!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Huh? Did you say something?
:lol:

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”