Wine!

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Wine!

Post by stonemaybe »

And I'm not talking expensive stuff!

These days I have LOTS of time for Montana Savignon Blanc Reserve (New Zealand). Our local offy is selling 3 for 2 so £19 for three bottles.

Goes down like nectar.

And soothes my agitated nerves, when required, to perfection.

Anyone got any other recommendations?
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

More of a red wine person myself...don't mind Sauvingon Blanc or Chenin Blanc though.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I've become a huge fan of a lot of the Austrailian wines. The price is right, and they're really tasty.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Austalian wines are GOOD. You can't go wrong, IMHO, with Australian and South African.

However, even more so with New Zealand. Ozzy and SA are usually good, NZ usually lovely!

Is it something to do with growing upside-down?

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Could be. I'll have to try and find some NZ stuff.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

You won't regret it ,Cail!

It started appearing here in UK 2-3 years ago and was a bit more expensive than others. But I think it's got so popular prices have come down.

Post by Avatar »

Stonemaybe wrote:You can't go wrong, IMHO, with Australian and South African.
*bows* :LOLS:

Yeah, I pretty much drink SA wine only. :D Enjoyed the Australian stuff while I was living in the UK though.

You're paying a fortune though. (Always thought you guys had expensive wines etc.) For the equivalent of 20 quid I can buy 8 bottles of decent quality wine. Of course, we don't have to import it.

--A
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Going off-topic a little, there's a restaurant chain here called Nando's (speciality spicey chicken) that sells a delicious South African cider. Can't remember the name now, but if my gf has forgiven me for coming home late and pissed last night, we're going there tonight. I've a vague recollection that it's something typically African - Savannah or something like that.

So in my admittedly limitted experience, SA alcohol is splendid!

Any particular reason Avatar? Well-developed palates? Right climate? And more to the point, are you one of these countries that keeps the best for home consumption? If so, I'm on the next plane! (Once my hangover fades that is)

Post by Avatar »

Savannah is indeed the cider, but I don't like it. Too dry for my taste. It's usual here to insert a slice of lemon into the neck of the bottle...don't know if you do that.

Nando's, btw, is a South African franchise. But I'm not a big fan of chicken. Always amused me to see one on a cold grey high-street when I was over there, :lol:

Both good palates and a good climate. In general though, we tend to export the best quality stuff. when it comes to wine though, there's such a variety that there's plenty of good (if not better, did the exporters but know it) wine left for us too.

Our beer however is nothing spectacular, I'll freely admit. But the wine...*Aaah*

--A
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I'll make sure and get a slice of lemon tonight :lol:

That's the second time someone's mentioned lemon in cider to me recently. I was in a pub where everyone drinking cider had it with a slice and when I asked why I was told that it somehow stops cider gut-rot.
Which makes no sense to me at all but...? I also think it looks a bit silly - however lemon in a bottle-neck may well prove acceptable to my alcoholic aesthetics!

Post by Avatar »

Don't know why they do it actually. I'd assumed that it was for the taste. *shrug* They do a Savannah Dry too (as if the regular wasn't dry enough).

The only other cider we have here is Hunters Gold, which is vile, sickly sweet stuff, and Red's, the only cider I drink. That last is very pleasant. Tastes more like apple juice than anything else.

Anyway, try the lemon and see if it makes a difference. :lol:

--A
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I will let you know!

SAFU regarding cider at the moment. One of the advantages in me moving from Ireland to the West Country was the comparatively large selection of cider available in this part of the country.

However, now there's an IRISH (bottled) cider called Magniers that everyone here seems to be drinking! Vile stuff tastes like perfume! They introduced it in Ireland a couple of years ago, and advertised it as served over lots of ice. Every time I go home now and ask for a pint of cider the barstaff ask if I want ice in it!!!! No doubt the same will happen here in the next few months. ( :oops: I have started putting ice in my cider these days - but I add it after I get a FULL pint served to me!!)

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS: Sneaky buggers, aren't they? :lol:

--A
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I tend to drink South African wines, simply because those are what my dad used when introducing me to red wine.

There's a little Italian restaurant in Bangor that has beautiful house wine. Cheap too (for a restaurant).
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I've spent all day installing new kitchen cabinets, and I included a wine rack. Whoo Hoo!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

That kicks ass, Cail.

Was wondering, anybody: what's a good wine to drink along with pizza? This Sunday or Monday I'm going to the Epicurean Lounge, which serves some of the finest gourmet pizza in London.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

? I love my wine LF, but what goes with what is one question that I have NEVER ever been able to answer!

And watch out for gourmet pizza! Some places seem to think pizza is an art-form for the eyes instead of the tastebuds, and you may get a piece of dough with a dollop of goats cheese and two mushrooms parading as modern art!

Whatever you decide to have with your pizza - good luck, and make sure you have a Courvoisier (cognac) to finish with.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I cant drink wine due to my medication. :(
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Loremaster wrote
I cant drink wine due to my medication.
Ah, but do you have any EVIDENCE of that? :lol:

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Stonemaybe wrote:? I love my wine LF, but what goes with what is one question that I have NEVER ever been able to answer!
Nor have I , and I tend to think it's all bollocks anyway. It's just personal preference as far as I'm concerned.

Return to “The Galley”