Wine!

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Agreed. I hate snooty people who insist on a certain type of wine with a certain type of food. I don't care as long as I like the taste.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Absolutely. Hmm, I fancy a good red right now...
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

CovenantJr wrote:Absolutely. Hmm, I fancy a good red right now...

My favorite wines of late are the Rieslings. Germanic wines which are usually refreshing and fruity, and finish very clean. Give them a try!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Riesling is a familiar word, but I've never tried one. I shall keep my eyes peeled when I'm next perusing the wine shelves.
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Stonemaybe wrote:You can't go wrong, IMHO, with Australian and South African.
*bows* :LOLS:

Yeah, I pretty much drink SA wine only. :D Enjoyed the Australian stuff while I was living in the UK though.

You're paying a fortune though. (Always thought you guys had expensive wines etc.) For the equivalent of 20 quid I can buy 8 bottles of decent quality wine. Of course, we don't have to import it.

--A
You can't beat a good SA wine - lovely, although I've been spoiled having visited a few of the vinyards personally ( the joys of having wine loving in-laws who live near Stellenbosch)

They are coming down in price here, especially if you buy in bulk, but we did take home 12 bottles of Van Loveren River Red last time we were there.

On the subject of SA beer, Castle is OK, but if I had the choice it would be Windhoek (Namibian)
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Riesling is sweet. I've had some good ones, but I've got to be in the mood for it.

I'm making bsgetti for dinner tonight and have a kick-ass bottle of Stonehaven Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon to go with it.

In fact, I may just have a glass now......
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Uh. Sounds great. Definitely a good combination. :D

I don't like sweet wines at all. *shudder*

--A
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I like sweet wines. A friend who works at a wine store introduced me to Riesling and I instantly fell in love with it.

I don't like dry wine at all.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Hmm, sweet eh? Generally not that keen on sweet wines, but I'll give it a go anyway, if I get chance.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

For any UK-ers reading, Sainsburys have Wither Hills Savignon Blanc (New Zealand) at the minute. It's £7.99 which is a bit steep but deeeelicious!

(And I've only got half a bottle left, good job a new Sainsburys just opened up round the corner from me :biggrin: )
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

A Gunslinger wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:Absolutely. Hmm, I fancy a good red right now...

My favorite wines of late are the Rieslings. Germanic wines which are usually refreshing and fruity, and finish very clean. Give them a try!
I don't drink much wine, but I've tasted some really good German wines. And they were cheap! Less than $10. Sometimes as low as $6. I forgot the German names, but the ones that means "Mother's Milk," and "Black Cat," I think, were pretty decent.

But I'm a beer drinker. Don't know if I've metioned that. :)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Malik23 wrote:I forgot the German names, but the ones that means "Mother's Milk,"
Liebfraumilch maybe? Not to my taste at all though I must say. On the whole, I'm more than happy to stick to the great variety of South African reds.

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

with a good price.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Cail wrote:I've become a huge fan of a lot of the Austrailian wines. The price is right, and they're really tasty.
Adam from Northern Exposure was less taken with "dingo effluent." :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Ahhhh, that's because the grapes weren't mature then. Supposedly grapevines aren't worth squat for a couple of seasons.
jastrau
Stonedownor

Post by jastrau »

I agree with Cail on the snotty types that claim one sort of wine MUST be had with a specific dish. I know several fish dishes for instance that go perfectly with a cool not too pungent red. But that being said, I certainly think that it is important to match a dish with a wine.

For the record: you can get very dry riesling wines, but most are indeed in the sweeter end of the scale.
Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lorelei »

jastrau wrote:For the record: you can get very dry riesling wines, but most are indeed in the sweeter end of the scale.
While I was over in Germany this summer I found some lovely dry Rieslings. They have a sugar rating system on the wine lists over there, haven't been shopping over here but I imagine the label would have the same units on them. I'm going to the biga$$ liquor store this weekend and I'll check back in on Monday.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

jastrau wrote:I agree with Cail on the snotty types that claim one sort of wine MUST be had with a specific dish. I know several fish dishes for instance that go perfectly with a cool not too pungent red. But that being said, I certainly think that it is important to match a dish with a wine.

For the record: you can get very dry riesling wines, but most are indeed in the sweeter end of the scale.
Growing the different kinds of grapes for different wines is, I've heard, a difficult thing. But I imagine it's a snap of the fingers for the god of Agriculture. :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

LIDL are currently selling a very nice Chilean Savignon Blanc (Viajero) for tuppence (well, nearly ;) )

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Stonemaybe wrote:LIDL are currently selling a very nice Chilean Savignon Blanc (Viajero) for tuppence (well, nearly ;) )

^ 8 months later, still drinking LIDL's Viajero! It's a great value wine for £3.49.

BUT had a wonderful bottle last weekend. At £8.99 it's not cheap, but for that price it's way way better than most others you can get!

It's a French Sancerre, Domaine "La Gemiere" 2005, by Daniel Millet et Fils. Got it in House of Frazier, and I'll be buying their whole stock tomorrow and keeping it for a Christmas treat!

Return to “The Galley”