Find the Croyel

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

callback
Woodhelvennin

Find the Croyel

Post by callback »

As confusing as the warnings that the Elohim gave to the people of the land are, we have at least a few bare facts about everything the Elohim warned about. We know the skurj are at Mount Thunder, we have some vague idea of what the Durance is, etc., etc.

But what about the Croyel we are warned about?

I can't remember any hint in Runes as to where the Croyel might be or what he might be up to.

Any guesses?

*sits back patiently and waits for someone to suggest that the Mahdoubt is a grown up Croyel.*
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The reference to the croyel at this point is probably a foreshadowing of things to come. We certainly did not see anything in Runes that resembled the croyle we were familiar with.
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I agree. We haven't even seen a single baby in Runes. The only way croyel could have been present is if they used illusions to hide themselves, or resided under the robes of someone like the Mahdoubt, Puppet Masters style.

"Stave, is that a croyel under your tunic or are you just happy to see me?" :twisted: :oops:
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

I figured that as Jeremiah and his 'family' were present in the land during the second chronicles in spirit but, it seems, not in substance, they might very well have manifested themselves as Croyel.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Whoa!...urm...WOW! 8O
fall far and well Pilots!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

native wrote:I figured that as Jeremiah and his 'family' were present in the land during the second chronicles in spirit but, it seems, not in substance, they might very well have manifested themselves as Croyel.
But, according to Findail, the croyel had been around for a long time prior to 2nd Chronicles, so I don't see how Jeremiah and family could have been croyel.
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

dlbpharmd wrote:But, according to Findail, the croyel had been around for a long time prior to 2nd Chronicles, so I don't see how Jeremiah and family could have been croyel.
Don't remember it being a long time. But certainly that mob had been flirting with Foul for some months/years before the start of the 2nd chronicles. So it's possible perhaps?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

native wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:But, according to Findail, the croyel had been around for a long time prior to 2nd Chronicles, so I don't see how Jeremiah and family could have been croyel.
Don't remember it being a long time. But certainly that mob had been flirting with Foul for some months/years before the start of the 2nd chronicles. So it's possible perhaps?
I'll find the reference tonight. I could be mistaken about the history of the croyel.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I think SRD touched on this once.
In the Gradual Interview was wrote:Do the croyel correspond to anything in the 'real' world'?

Every time you hear a bell ring, a *croyel* in the Land gets its wings.
(09/09/2009)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Purely a guess, but the first thing that comes to mind is the Skurj, sorta like the acid or ice beings...

--A
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Here's what Findail says about the croyel, immediately after Kaseryn's death:
That which he bore was no son of his flesh. It was of the croyel - beings of hunger and sustenance which demnify the dark places of the Earth. Those who bargain for life or might with the croyel are damned beyond redemption.
It still seems to me that the implication is that the croyel have been around for a long, long time.
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

After giving the matter some thought, my top guess is that Linden will seek out and make a deal with a croyel in order to avoid dying when Roger's bullet catches up with her in the Land.

Think about it. I think we all agree that there are some very wrenching times ahead for our heroes, and the Last Chronicles seem heavily concerned with ends and means.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Then again, there might also be a chance, however slim, that Covenant himself bargained with one... "Those who bargain for life or might": Covenant might have bargained his return from the grave, which could or could not have happened, and could or could not be complete (see the "fractured Covenant" hypothesis).
callback
Woodhelvennin

Post by callback »

Now that I think of it, didn't that elohim mention sandgorgons as well?

Sandgorgons and Croyel.... sounds like a pretty tough combo.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Yes, both sandgorgons and croyle are mentioned.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Wayfriend wrote:I think SRD touched on this once.
In the Gradual Interview was wrote:Do the croyel correspond to anything in the 'real' world'?

Every time you hear a bell ring, a *croyel* in the Land gets its wings.
(09/09/2009)
................................../\
..................................|
..................................|

Geeze and I thought he was behind on the GI!!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Mr. Fishfinger
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mr. Fishfinger »

And here was me thinking "find the croyel" was akin to a "spot the ball" competition.
Beware the Jubjub bird and shun the frumious Bandersnatch
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

... which demnify the dark places of the Earth.
I cannot find a meaning for the word demnify anywhere.

indemnify is protect against damage or recompense for damage. From in + damnum damage. So to demnify is to damage?

Why would croyel damage the dark places of the earth?
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Wayfriend wrote: indemnify is protect against damage or recompense for damage. From in + damnum damage. So to demnify is to damage?

Why would croyel damage the dark places of the earth?
I guess it must somehow be drawn from the word 'domain.' So they made the dark places of the earth their domain. Comes I guess from the latin term 'dominus' - to master.
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

Xar wrote:Then again, there might also be a chance, however slim, that Covenant himself bargained with one... "Those who bargain for life or might": Covenant might have bargained his return from the grave, which could or could not have happened, and could or could not be complete (see the "fractured Covenant" hypothesis).

Okay, I really like that idea. Oooh, oooh oooh. What a mess that would be. :twisted:
the rue of the melody could not be mistaken

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”