KEVIN'S WATCH ANTHOLOGY II - THIS TIME ITS PERSONAL

For the discussion about old anthologies, or the planning of new ones.

Moderators: hierachy, aTOMiC

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I think this is saying that morally you guys can go to heaven, but legally you're going by way of the State Pen.
In the Gradual Interview was wrote:Tom Cummins (TOM C):Mr. Donaldson,

This is my first contact with you so I would like to thank you for the contributions you have made to my literary enjoyment. I anxiously await the release of Runes.

My question concerns fan fiction. I confess my ignorance with regard to how a published author might view the use of his or her characters and environments in this way. I contribute to a fan fiction site and I have been known to post short scenes on Kevin’s Watch purely for fun. I would like to know your thoughts on the subject. Is this a case of harmless fan flattery or do you feel uncomfortable with the practice?

Thank you very much for your time.

I'm sure every writer is different. Tolkien was notorious crochety about any "use" that other people might want to make of his work. But personally I always feel flattered when what I've written inspires creativity in someone else. When I was much younger, I wrote one entire novella based on Marvel's "Thor" comics, and another on Conrad's "Heart of Darkness."

Of course, there are moral and even legal issues to consider. The legal issues typically involve money. If you, or the fanzine, or the fan site, gets paid for any use you might make of my world or characters, you have a problem. That's a copyright violation--unless you happen to have permission from the holder of the copyright. (For practical purposes, the holder of the copyright is not me: it's my publisher(s).) The moral issues involve giving credit and accepting responsibility. As long as you make it clear that what you've written is based on *my* work, but that *you* (not I) wrote it, you're covered.

(04/14/2004)
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Hm...-jay
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

It's not fan fiction, Wayfriend. No fan fiction was accepted.

None of it is based on Donaldson's work at all. None of it is set in the Land, none of it uses any of his storylines, none of it uses any of his characters.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Interesting that Wayfriend chose my very own question to SRD. :-) Yes. No fanfiction is allowed in any of the Anthologies we will produce. Since we are producing the finished product via a pay service that could potentially garner a profit from the sale, I believe we would be in hot soup if we permitted fan fiction.
Since there isnt any, I think we're just fine.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I would probably have called it www.kevinswatch.com anthology just to make sure we're covered (after all, Jay owns that).
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Yeah, I think the fact that we have no fan fiction, and that it's all original work, that we should be all right.

The only possible problem could be the title, but hopefully that won't be a real concern. Worse comes to worse, we just change the title. And we're not making any profit off of it, at least.

Well, if SRD sues me, then I'll just change Kevin's Watch to a Wheel of Time Fan Site. That'll teach him! Heh.-jay
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

kevinswatch wrote:Yeah, I think the fact that we have no fan fiction, and that it's all original work, that we should be all right.

The only possible problem could be the title, but hopefully that won't be a real concern. Worse comes to worse, we just change the title. And we're not making any profit off of it, at least.

Well, if SRD sues me, then I'll just change Kevin's Watch to a Wheel of Time Fan Site. That'll teach him! Heh.-jay
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha:

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Any profits could go to keeping the site running i suppose. I rememeber seeing a thread about donations to the Watch a while ago.

Surely, seen as ae is a member here, SRD wont mind. Although i suppose it would be publishers/lawyers that would kick up a fuss.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

There appears to be some genuine concern regarding the title of our book. A revision can be made with relative ease. Changing the manuscript would involve revising the title page only, then recreating the pdf and uploading, replacing the file. The images for the book cover would be nearly as easy. For example I could strip off the word "Kevin's" and replace it with "The" creating The Watch Anthology. Surely Donaldson wouldn't have a copyright on the word "Watch" just like I figure he doesn't have a copyright on the phrase "Kevin's Watch" but I understand why some of you may feel uneasy.
Jay. Say the word and I'll make this happen. If not then lets put this matter to rest. :-)

ProRider514
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by ProRider514 »

I think I'm gonna try to write something for the second anthology. I had a story set up and everything for the first one, but I missed the deadline.
everybody poops
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Wayfriend wrote:I think this is saying that morally you guys can go to heaven, but legally you're going by way of the State Pen.
Well going by what you quoted I think you are mistaken.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

kevinswatch wrote:Well, if SRD sues me, then I'll just change Kevin's Watch to a Wheel of Time Fan Site. That'll teach him! Heh.-jay
Not that I know, but I would probably guess that you would receive some communication from SRD's publishers with a "cease and desist" BEFORE they decided to take you to court. But I wouldn't stress. Take, for example, Fantasy Bedtime Hour. They now have store and sell "Ritual of Desecration" tshirts which not only have that on it but also have on it the words "Featurning High Lord Kevin". So, in my mind they're "profiteering" more "clearly" on SRD's work than what you guys are (afterall you have a forward which clearly explains what the anthology is, it's not fan fiction etc). I wouldn't "stress" about it until such time as it becomes something to stress about.

That said, I think CovenantJr idea is a great one (ie: calling it "www.kevinswatch.com anthology"). This kills two birds with one stone: you've got no chance of getting in trouble AND it's free advertising for the Kevin's Watch discussion board.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Good post, Sea.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

Another one already? :lol: You guys don't waste any time huh? ;)

Oh well, I might submit something if the criteria aren't too harsh... ;)

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

you can always call the anthology
Sgt. Null's Musings.
to save problems.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I apologize to one and all. I never had caught on that there was no fan fiction in the anthology. Now I "get it".
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

What would be the criteria for submissions? Care to repeat them here, so we don't have to sift through dozens of pages from the thread dedicated to the last anthology? :P
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Try the "Proposed submission guidelines" topic. :P
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Hey, we're SRD's official message board. There can't possibly be any objection to our name, or his publishers would have mentioned it long since.

As the publishers will see it, the Anthology title is an advertisement for SRD and the message board.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Dragonlily wrote:Hey, we're SRD's official message board. There can't possibly be any objection to our name, or his publishers would have mentioned it long since.

As the publishers will see it, the Anthology title is an advertisement for SRD and the message board.
Excellent point. I believe there are no worries.

Return to “Kevin's Watch Anthology Forum”