Post an excerpt for Anthology 2, give us a little taste

For the discussion about old anthologies, or the planning of new ones.

Moderators: hierachy, aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

Post an excerpt for Anthology 2, give us a little taste

Post by aTOMiC »

I am hard at work on my submission. It should be ready in perhaps 2 weeks. Hopefully we'll have a list of volunteers by then.

Excerpt from my submission The Haaku…

"As you can see the infection rages though the body at an incredible rate.” Collins spoke with a much professional detachment as he could muster but his voice nearly cracked several times, betraying his feelings. “Skin, muscle tissue, organs and finally the skeletal structure are all aggressively attacked until the patient dies. I was astonished at how little was left for me to examine.”
When the playback ended Captain Armstrong slowly rose from his seat. He knew the consequences of what he had heard would be devastating if the rest of the ship was exposed and he was anxious to take some kind of action.

I am somehow more enthused by the prospect of a second book. Maybe I just want to prove that we can do it in a fraction of the time it took the first one. Lets find out. :-)
Last edited by aTOMiC on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Looking good, Tom.

I am going to start work on my submission tonight!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm still waiting to see if anyone liked "The Tiz Bottle". Sorry.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

you can coerce me only if you give me info tom. GUIDELINES.

is there a thread i'm overlooking where all this info is?

*this is possible as i am highly lazy*
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

There are no submission guidelines yet, Luci, but I daresay there will be within the very near future. :)
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

'k. thanks james.
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I think I might like to send in an application.

yeah I know.."drew you can't spell, or type, I doubt that you can write a story"

But, thanks to the help of someone on the Watch, I decided to start putting down on paper all the stories that have been dancing around my head for about the last decade or so--just for the hell of it, I'm working on a novel---very slowly-I still drive in upwards of sixty hours a week so that leaves not much time so sit and write...but I also have this short story that I started writting too, and I thought it might be cool for it to be (possibly) in the next anthology.

Just giving you a bit of a heads up..that's all :lol:
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Wayfriend wrote:I'm still waiting to see if anyone liked "The Tiz Bottle". Sorry.
*ahem*
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Wayfriend wrote:
Wayfriend wrote:I'm still waiting to see if anyone liked "The Tiz Bottle". Sorry.
*ahem*
Wayfriend. I found "The Tiz Bottle" buried in the Hall of Gifts and have copied and pasted all the chapters into one doc so that I can read it. Like many of us for one reason or another we don't frequent the Hall of Gifts. Maybe its uncomfortable to read long stories in that format or what. I don't really know. I've posted stories there in the past myself without much feedback so I share your frustration.

I'll give Tiz a go and give you my opinion.

Well, Wayfriend you have a very interesting story going though its incomplete. You appear to be well acquainted with your subject matter, geography, nomenclature etc. Pretty impressive. It’s a gripping adventure. The part I’ve been reading is running at over 11,000 words. If the remainder follows the same pattern you may need to edit the narrative a bit to meet the length restrictions but its my opinion that Tiz Bottle ought to be submitted.
Even if you decide not to submit, please post the remainder of your story.
I'd like to find out what happens.
:-)

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

aTOMiC wrote:Well, Wayfriend you have a very interesting story going though its incomplete.
:letsparty: :nanaparty:
:nanaparty: :letsparty:
15 months later, and I finally got a comment!!!!!!

And I begged less than 10 times!!!!!!

Thanks, Tom.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

An excerpt from the sequel to "Dr. Donez", titled, "Dr. Donez 2: The Dr. Donez Sequel"
The
That's all I'm willing to release to the public at this point.

:P

Actually, I haven't actually planned for a sequel to "Dr. Donez". I donno if I would have the creative juice to write another short story. My creativy has to come to me, it's hard for me to force it. Plus, my thesis has been sucking up a lot of my creative juices for the past year.

Anyway, I'd like to do something for the second anthology, but I don't have any ideas what yet, so don't hold me to anything, heh.

If nothing else, maybe I can design some art, or the cover or something.

Or if I get some free time after I finish my thesis come August, I'll see if I can think up another short story.-jay
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Heh, I have a few things in my head that I may try, but so far, I think I'd like to finish the detective story I worked on a few months ago....

The phone rang at the most unwelcome of times; Jane and I were quite...well, busy, doing adult stuff. Jane whispered in my ear "Darling, it's the bat phone; you have to answer it. Commissioner Gordon needs you!"

Bat-phone...heh. Jane even went as far as to get a red phone for my business line; what a card she is. I rolled off her and grabbed the phone, and growled in my best detective voice "What the HELL is it this time, Gordon?"

"We have a case for you; a real messy one. You know, the usual."

I knew, all too well. "I'll be right in" I said.

"Oh, and one other thing, Joe; quit using that spooky-assed voice. Who do you think you are, anyway; Batman?"

I hung up, wondering, not for the first time, why Gordon insisted on calling me Joe, when my name was Doug. Ahh, hell, it didn't matter. The city needed me, so I muttered "Time for me to work, sweetheart", grabbed my coat off the rack, put it over my Batman costume, and stomped out the doo.....wait. Batman costume? Crap, this won't do, not at all. I completely forgot I was wearing it, which was disturbing, but not as disturbing as the fact that Jane wanted me to wear it, which was not nearly as disturbing as the fact that I wanted her to wear a Robin custume.......
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dAN. This is an example of a story that needs to be told. :-)

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

aTOMiC wrote:dAN. This is an example of a story that needs to be told. :-)

YOU SHOULD HEAR HIM READ IT!!!! :haha: freakin GREAT!!!
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

*clears throat, warms up spooky-assed voice*
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

kevinswatch wrote:An excerpt from the sequel to "Dr. Donez", titled, "Dr. Donez 2: The Dr. Donez Sequel"
The
That's all I'm willing to release to the public at this point.
:haha:
kevinswatch wrote:My creativy has to come to me, it's hard for me to force it.
Good 8) That's as it should be 8)
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

My creativity comes at me; it's hard for me to avoid it. Wait, I meant to say insanity.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

So yeah, here's a bit of a short story..it's not right from the beggining; the basic premise is, what if no one dicovered north and south america until the 1930's.
From the personal diary of Mr Alex Mackenzie July 17 1985

Two days out to sea, and I’m not sure if I made the right decision or not. This is supposed to be a mission of peace, and of learning. We were all in the same anthropology class, Mister Fernan, when the idea was proposed. ‘Has anyone ever tried to learn anything about these people?’
I mean we’re supposed to leave them alone, that was the law set down the League of Nations fifty years ago when the continent was originally discovered. Maybe that’s why a bunch of college kids were chosen to head up the observations. I suppose we can’t do much damage, we’re all card carrying members of the Word Pacifist Organization. We’ve got no ambitions of conquering these people; we just want to see how they live.
But how much observation is going to take place when Mawisi and Vin are going to be butting heads the whole time, to see who can get into Louise’s pants? And Sabina, she was so glum and depressed before the expedition, and so anxious to get there now, I’m scared she’s actually going to try to run away from us, and move in with these natives as soon as we land.
Why did I volunteer?
Why not.
I mean who wouldn’t want to be the first person to befriend the New World Natives. I mean, I agree with a League’s decision to pretty much ignore the New World, to leave at least one part of this earth unspoiled and unmarred by our conquering and destructive instincts. All my life, all my parents’ lives, there’s been war after war after war. This country wants the land from that country, or doesn’t like their religion, or doesn’t like their accent, or is just bored and needs a new war to fight. If the league hadn’t stepped in weeks after it was discovered the there were two continents, each nearly the same size as Africa on the other side of the world, all of those wars would have just carried over the ocean—oh could you imagine it? There’d be a ‘New’ France, a ‘New’ United Kingdom, a ‘New’ Russia, a ‘New’ Spain—and they’d all continue to fight the ‘Old’ Fights. What would have become of those native people? They would have been annihilated that’s what.
---But—-- We do deserve to know what they are like. I mean there are no Factories that we can see, from the few contacts we’ve already made over the last fifty years, they seem so tribal. Are five college kids really going to learn anything in only five years? Are the three sex-mongers going to clean up their act? Is Miss I-hate-the-old-world going to remember we’re not to interfere? Oh well-maybe it’s my own anxiety, hell, maybe it’s just the sea sickness!!-Why the crap did I let Vin talk me into getting shit-faced the night before we left, and the first night aboard, and last night?
Yeah I know “Wise up Alex!! This is the Most exiting thing that ever happened to you.” Jesus and Buddha, this is the most exiting thing to ever happen to my family, my University, possibly even my whole nation. I’m not going to let the old Mackenzie Doubts stand in the way.

At that, Alex ended his entry. Everyone else was just as confused as he was; they just chose to show it in different ways. As required by Mr Fernan, they are all to keep at least a weekly personal journal, on top of the main log that they have to keep as a team.

The Captain of the Daedalus was simply known as Rimski. Not captain Rimski, not Rimski something or other; just Rimski. It was rumored (and true) that he was related-directly-to the Stalin family; who have tried in vain three times this century to overthrow the Russian Czar. The kings of all the other nations of the world shuddered at the idea of a country not having a monarch, so each time; a revolution was quashed almost before it could begin. It was just about lunch time, when his rough voice echoed over the ship’s rusty old PA system, “Hold on boys and girls! You’re about to find out why it is no one crosses the Atlantic!”
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hey, that sounds like it's got some good potential. I love alternate history stories. :D

--A
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Avatar wrote:Hey, that sounds like it's got some good potential. I love alternate history stories. :D

--A
Yeah, I'm writing one where you never joined Kevinswatch. ;) :lol:
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “Kevin's Watch Anthology Forum”