THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Ch 11

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Dragonlily
Lord

THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Ch 11

Post by Dragonlily »

THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Chapter 11

The previous chapter stopped in the middle of a conversation between Brew and Ginny, which narrowed the suspects down to the School Board office. Brew begins this chapter summing up, in his mind, the reasons against kidnapping: 1) no ransom demand, and 2) the all-knowing Manolo doesn’t know any drug pusher involved in prostituting young girls. Brew’s intuitive conclusion is that the culprit is someone acting on hate. But he has given up on his own methods and is going along with Ginny’s logical approach, so he doesn’t mention hate to Ginny.

This will seem like a digression: I am reminded here of Dorothy Sayers’ GAUDY NIGHT. The heroine of GAUDY NIGHT, Harriet, is a mystery writer whose characters act mathematically according to the needs of the plot. The hero, Lord Peter, tells her that one of her characters is acting so illogically he can’t believe in it. He says Harriet needs to come up with some twisted emotional reason for her Wilfred to act as he does. Lord Peter would be able to believe Wilfred's neurotic suspicions if he had an understanding of the character’s inner psychology.

There was a reason for my digression: SRD does not make the mistake Harriet was making. Yes, Brew should have mentioned his idea to Ginny, about the motive for the kidnapping being hate. But SRD has just spent chapters establishing, psychologically, why Brew doesn’t trust his own ideas. Real people act this way.
Brew wrote:The sense that we were finally getting somewhere made me feel a little better about Alathea, but it didn’t do much for my opinion of myself.
SRD isn’t letting us forget the basics of Brew’s condition. After a night spent
dreaming about amber
Brew
ignored the dry wish for alcohol in my mouth
and goes back to meet Ginny at her office. Ginny has confirmed that Paul Stretto did call the police commissioner, and the commissioner really did build a fire under Detective Acton. So it is unlikely that either Stretto or Acton are the kidnapper, in spite of the months they spent oblivious to or neglecting the crimes.

Ginny has hired another P.I., Lawrence Smithsonian (a name indicating his firm establishment in the moneyed community), to track the finances of all their suspects. A very practical thing to do, except that Ginny is going to be paying for Smithsonian’s services out of her own pocket. Who would have thought it would cause such an emotional interlude? Overcome with gratitude,
Brew wrote:I got up, went over to her. Cupped her head with both my hands and kissed her on the mouth.

She didn’t kiss me back. She just sat there and took it. When I stopped, she looked at me like the barrel of a gun and said, “The next time you do that, you better mean it.”
Oh! Brew’s secret love for Ginny isn’t so secret after all. It turns out they have an understanding. :)
Brew wrote:What she had in mind was something even more serious than the way I felt about her. We’d been through it before. She wanted me to quit drinking. Completely. Forever.

That was something I couldn’t do. I wasn’t worth it.
Oh, Brew, you dummy! Actually, I wouldn’t expect a drunk to articulate those words: “I wasn’t worth it.” IMO, it would be too true an expression of his state of mind for a drunk to be able to face it.

So they go back to practicalities. Ginny has made an arrangement for them to see a member of the School Board, Dr. Camilla Sandoval. They find Dr. Sandoval in the old section of town, where she cares for the extreme poor. Dr. Sandoval gives them her opinions of the Board members and office people. I don’t know about other readers, but I instinctively found her believable. So did Brew. Dr. Sandoval’s description of Budget Vice-President Martha Scurvey includes the fact that she wasn’t on the School Board when the kidnappings started, so she is eliminated as a suspect. The rest are still on the list. Ginny wants to put pressure on them and get the criminal to move and maybe make a mistake.

By now Brew is in a depression. This kind of investigation is uncongenial to him. He grumps at Ginny about being useless, and Ginny manages not to lose her temper at him. A true achievement, given what the day has been like so far. I think both Brew and the investigation would be going better if Brew were answering to his intuition, but he isn’t on speaking terms with himself at the moment.
Last edited by Dragonlily on Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

This was a short but meaty chapter. A lot of exchanging information and your analysis of it was thorough Joy!
Joy wrote:
...SRD has spent chapters establishing, psychologically, why Brew doesn't trust his own ideas. Real people act this way.
and
But now Brew is in a depression.This kind of investigation is uncongenial to him...I think both Brew and the investigation would be going better if Brew were answering to his intuition, but he isn't on speaking terms with himself anymore.
I could't agree more with you Joy. Though we gain a lot of information it doesn't reach Brew. He can't think. He's really down and out, and a typical kind of SRD technique it is. Brew's behaviour smells of TC's "Don't touch me I'm a leper." He pushes reality away from him. Doesn't want to interact or something...

Now I will put forward the time-aspect again...Brew's reactions is the more so believable because time is running fast and Alathea is out there somewhere. All the while both Brew and Ginny is working in reality under duress. It is understandable that he's becoming depressed because nothing seems to happen regarding the investigation. Time is below the surface an important factor in this book and to Brew...and again a reflection towards the second chrons...The sunbane is killing people all the time while TC is searching for a new SoL, it's a knife against the throat kind of thing...

Joy wrote:
Dr Sandoval...I instinctively found her believable. So did Brew.
And so did I. :)
Her manner was tough, but it was a particular kind of tough - the kind that can look pain straight in the face and make it hurt less without being hurt herself (or without showing it anyway).
The kind of people we all love, underdogs with pride, and the heart in the right place, people like Brew...:)

And I hope too, that he starts to rely more on his intuition soon. Maybe when the night comes!

kasten
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

kastenessen wrote:Now I will put forward the time-aspect again...Brew's reactions is the more so believable because time is running fast and Alathea is out there somewhere. All the while both Brew and Ginny is working in reality under duress.
You're right, and I keep forgetting to mention this. The need for speed to rescue the girls is a running undercurrent to all events, but I don't get the adrenal urgency from it that I just got from reading the descent to the One Tree, for example. There is a big difference in his writing. Here he is focusing on facts, and keeps returning to them. Not so much on emotions, as in the scene I just mentioned or in the accumulating deaths of the Sunbane.

I'm glad you picked out that quote about Dr. Sandoval, it captures one's emotional reactions to her so well.
kastenessen wrote:And I hope too, that he starts to rely more on his intuition soon. Maybe when the night comes!
Very nice, Kasten! That's exactly when it would happen. :)
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Joy wrote:The need for speed to rescue the girls is a running undercurrent to all events, but I don't get the adrenal urgency from it that I just got from reading the descent to the One Tree, for example. There is a big difference in his writing. Here he is focusing on facts, and keeps returning to them. Not so much on emotions, as in the scene I just mentioned or in the accumulating deaths of the Sunbane.
This is exactly the difference between ...KILLED... and for example the chrons. You're right, there's much more adrenal urgency within the chrons and his other works than here. In ...KILLED... he's focusing on facts as you said and that's is why it seems like time is running strangely. I find this a very interesting result of SRD's writing. The prose of ...KILLED... is so much more dryer than anything else SRD has written...well I guess you can say it's hard-boiled:)

kasten
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

kastenessen wrote:The prose of ...KILLED... is so much more dryer than anything else SRD has written...well I guess you can say it's hard-boiled:)
Blunt. Like Brew expects to punch through to understanding with his fist.
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Joy wrote:
kastenessen wrote:The prose of ...KILLED... is so much more dryer than anything else SRD has written...well I guess you can say it's hard-boiled:)
Blunt. Like Brew expects to punch through to understanding with his fist.
I don't know if "dry" was the correct word here. I think I meant (mean) "sparse" or vigorous(looked it up in a dictionary), and isn't that the way hard-boiled goes...

kasten
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I think sparse and vigorous both work. As for comparing it to hard-boiled, I don't read much of that genre. The closest to it that I usually enjoy is Ross MacDonald, who has a special feel for tragedy.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”