Star Trek: Can Star Trek return to weekly television?

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

A group was making a new ST movie that was more like what we as old school fans would like. I was really looking forward to this...

Axanar takes place 21 years before the events of 'Where no Man Has Gone Before,' the first Kirk episode of the original Star Trek. Axanar is the story of Garth of Izar, the legendary Starfleet captain who is Captain Kirk’s hero. ... Axanar tells the story of Garth and his crew during the Four Years War, the war with the Klingon Empire that almost tore the Federation apart.

Axanar has professionals working in front and behind the camera, with a fully-professional crew — many of whom have worked on Star Trek itself — to ensure Axanar will be the quality of Star Trek that all fans want to see. In order to make it legal and to not get the attention of CBS, this film is not a money making venture.

It got crowdfunding to over 1 million dollars to create this movie. Annnnndddd that is when it got Paramount's attention. Paramount and CBS, represented by attorneys at Loeb & Loeb, are now demanding an injunction to stop creation of this movie as well as damages for direct, contributory and vicarious copyright infringement.
The producers of Axanar are making a Star Trek picture they describe themselves as a fully professional independent Star Trek film. Their activity clearly violates our Star Trek copyrights, which, of course, we will continue to vigorously protect."
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

paramount should just let them make the show. everyone wins that way.

I want to see a reboot of Space 1999.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

There is a new TREK en route. No idea what it will be about save a ship. Premiers on CBS a year from now.

Honestly, I've been pleasantly surprised enough times I think it possible this will be good. We'll see.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

New Trek Series to be Produced by George Lucas, the circle is complete, JJ Abrams went from Trek to Wars, and now Lucas goes from Wars to Trek

dorksideoftheforce.com/2016/04/01/breaking-new-star-trek-series-to-be-produced-by-george-lucas/
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Paramount has agreed to allow this crowd funded movie Axanar to be produced. Should be good.

In other news there is a brief opening trailer for the new series.

www.startrek.com/article/watch-teaser-t ... rek-series
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Wait, so there is going to be a new series? When's it going to be set?

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Has it that it is set after The undiscovered country but before the Next Generation.

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm. I dunno...I still haven't watched Enterprise.

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

That's actually the era I'm most interested in, but I don't have very high hopes. Reserving judgement, but I haven't enjoyed anything post-DS9.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Post by Avatar »

DS-9 was the best. :D

--A
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Avatar wrote:DS-9 was the best. :D

--A
You mean that salamander-sex 'twixt Janeway and Paris wasn't a high-water mark?

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

SoulBiter wrote:Hthough, as it that it is set after The undiscovered country but before the Next Generation.
Are you certain of that? To the best of my knowledge, there is no confirmation of that rumor, and nothing to back up the rumor. Do you have a link? as far as I know, It's not even known if it will be in the Prime Universe, The JJAbrams Universe, or a separate continuity altogether, the Prime Universe isn't especially likely, considering the waning ratings of Voyager and Enterprise, added to the Box Office results for Insurrection and Nemesis.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

sindatur wrote:
SoulBiter wrote:Hthough, as it that it is set after The undiscovered country but before the Next Generation.
Are you certain of that? To the best of my knowledge, there is no confirmation of that rumor, and nothing to back up the rumor. Do you have a link? as far as I know, It's not even known if it will be in the Prime Universe, The JJAbrams Universe, or a separate continuity altogether, the Prime Universe isn't especially likely, considering the waning ratings of Voyager and Enterprise, added to the Box Office results for Insurrection and Nemesis.
here is the link www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/star-t ... ?a=viewall
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

SoulBiter wrote:
sindatur wrote:
here is the link www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/star-t ... ?a=viewall
So, yea, just a rumor that's it's set right before TNG, no confirmation.

There's also a rumor it will be an Anthology Series, changing every Season, ala American Horror Story (A Rumor that gained some traction when the Trailer said "New Crews", rather than "New Crew", though that could easily be a mistake they didn't notice or think anything about)

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

sindatur wrote:
There's also a rumor it will be an Anthology Series, changing every Season, ala American Horror Story (A Rumor that gained some traction when the Trailer said "New Crews", rather than "New Crew", though that could easily be a mistake they didn't notice or think anything about)
That could be interesting. I don't know. Given my opinion of nearly everything they've done in the past 15 years or so, I'm torn between hoping for some crossover with the era that I'm interested in, and hoping they won't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Post by Avatar »

Ah, the perils of nostalgia. :D

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I'm optimistic that they will get this right. It doesnt appear that they are embracing the JJ Abrams Trek universe but instead choosing the original Trek universe. That being said, Enterprise was not well done and Voyager was not well done IMHO. I loved TOS, and TNG, and aside from the first two seasons of DS9, I loved it as well.

Of course all of this is speculation because they are being very tight lipped about the whole thing.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

SoulBiter wrote: It doesnt appear that they are embracing the JJ Abrams Trek universe but instead choosing the original Trek universe.
Really hope that's true.
SoulBiter wrote:That being said, Enterprise was not well done and Voyager was not well done IMHO.
I wanted to like Voyager. I watched most of it - I think I quit sometime in the final season. It just never grabbed me - never felt much of anything for the characters. I probably didn't give Enterprise a fair try. I watched the pilot, and have probably seen 4-5 random episodes here and there.

Post by Avatar »

I quite liked Voyager. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either.

You watched more Enterprise than me...I saw the pilot and maybe 2 random episodes. I have it though, so plan on getting round to it eventually.

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I generally dislike the Star Trek universe on general principle--it's too preachy and the Federation tries to be squeaky clean at all times. Boring. The only Star Trek show which ever really kept my interest was DS9 and that is because it is so similar to Babylon 5, the standard of science fiction shows against which all other science fiction shows (set in space) are to be measured.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”