How Anakin Became Vader

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

How Anakin Became Vader

Post by Seafoam Understone »

According to old fanzines long time ago in a teen-ager's bedroom far far away, I remember reading the backstory given by either Lucas or someone else about the creation of Vader from the "good-guy" Anakin!

It went something like this.
Anakin was in his mid to late twenties as was Kenobi when they first met. Anakin was a star-pilot/fighter as described by Kenobi in A New Hope
"...he was the best star-fighter in the galaxy...and a cunning warrior...and a good friend"
Anakin's fighting skills impressed Kenobi as well as "how strongly the force was with him". (note NO mention of HIS teacher finding the trait in Anakin). So Kenobi took it upon himself to train Anakin, and thought he could do as good of a job as Yoda did on Kenobi.
ESB: "There you will learn from Yoda...the Jedi that instructed me..."
Apparently he succeeds and the two have some adventures together.
ANH: Luke: You fought in the clone wars? Kenobi: Yes I was once a Jedi Knight the same as your father.
Anakin meets his wife (Amadala? Ok cool) and falls in love and they marry but have little time together as he's out fighting for truth justice and the Jedi-way!

Senator Palpatine also notes what a strong Jedi Anakin is... thus sets up a way to get the guy pissed off (anger leads to the dark side) with his mentor and take his side. Anakin may be serving Palpatine unaware of the man's manipulations and thus sets up an awkward situation between Kenobi and Amadala for Anakin to "walk-into" and "catch them in the act".
Imagine the slow poison Palpatine could been feeding Anakin about how Kenobi might be moving in on his wife (Anakin could've been insanely jealous type) and then arranges for that awkward situation. Anakin is pissed and runs back to the Senator/mentor...he now tells him SEE how those Jedi really are? Come join the Sith Lords! Kill all the Jedi's
...and your journey towards the dark-side will be complete!
Anakin goes around the galaxy and "hunted down and destroyed the Jedi Knights"... the result is that a body part gets whacked off here and another part there and thus his slow transformation to "more machine now than human...twisted and evil". According to the fanzine his "first" contfrontation with Kenobi was on a stone arch bridge over a lava lake or river. They battle and while Palpatine was sending troops (Moff Tarkin) to Anakin's aid Kenobi knocks Anakin off the bridge and into the lake of Lava. Kenobi is then forced to run as the Clone-troopers arrive and try to kill him.
Anakin in searing pain manages to use the force to get him out of the Lava before it kills him and Tarkin arrives and gets him the medical aid that he desperately needs. But the searing gasses of the Lava destroyed Anakin's lungs and thus he's on a resperator (thus the deep breathing device) the agony of the third degree burns and his inner hatered of Kenobi and anger at his wife's "betrayal" drive him over the edge and to the dark side.
The black armor and mask were designed especially for him so that he would strike fear into those who dared to opposed the new emperor. and the rest is Star Wars history starting from: A New Hope.

Apparently after Anakin "caught Kenobi and his wife in the act" he didn't realize that the two were trying to figure out how to tell him that he was a Daddy...

The Fanzine points out that Kenobi later after the birth of the twins came secretly and collected Luke after agreeing with the twin's mother and sent the Mrs. to her family on Alderaan. Luke went to Kenobi's BROTHER on Tattoonie, Owen Lars. Luke grows up calling Lars and Beru Uncle and Aunt. I'll buy that part because I have numerous of kids of close friends calling me uncle even though we're not blood relations. And it is "for the sake of the Galaxy" that Luke doesn't know the truth of his father. Owen's resentment
That wizard is just a crazy old man
could stem from a broken promise by Kenobi that caring for Luke is just for a little while. But circumstances may have forced Kenobi into hiding and thus it was wise that leaving Luke undiscovered with a childless couple would be the best thing.

Also that Leia was just as ignorant on the whole Daddy thing as from R2-D2's message in ANH "years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars" While the twins mother nurtured Leia she obviously kept the truth of her father just as secret as Owen and Beru did.

That is just my take on the whole Anakin to Vader... (sorry if it was a long rant but hey... fodder for discussion). :roll: ;)

If I can recall the fanzine and the issue I would... but currently I live in one state and my entire collection is in another so whenever I DO get my hands on it again I'll definitely re-post and quote my sources... I'm guessing it was early issues of Fangora or other like Mags first published back in the mid-late 70's
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Well that just about wraps it up. Most of what you've described seems perfectly logical considering what we've seen so far. I look forward to seeing 6 to verify it all. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

you mean 3?
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Hierachy wrote:you mean 3?
No, he means 7 of 9. :screwy:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

heh
Sheol
Giantfriend

Post by Sheol »

its a character on Star Trek Voyager, she is a former borg and her id was 7 of 9, her real name was anaka hanson or something like that
My right hand is lightning and my left is thunder.
My eyes are flame.
My heart is ashes.
Look upon me and tremble.
Edinburghemma
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edinburghemma »

I am one of one. Think on my son...
The reality is in this head. Mine. I'm the projector at the planetarium, all the closed little universe visible in the circle of that stage is coming out of my mouth, eyes, and sometimes other orifices also.

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”