2016 NFL Whipping Post

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

wayfriend wrote:
Another interesting factoid to come out of this: James White has the honor of being the only player in NFL history to score a TD in overtime in the Super Bowl. That's pretty cool.
Actually its the first OT ever in a Superbowl.... its never happened before.

The very fact that there is no 'next' game to worry about, would be a great reason to change that for Superbowls. The Falcons played a superior game for 2 quarters. The Patriots played an outstanding.... even probability defying single quarter to tie the game. But a single coin toss win, leaned the game into their favor.

But we play within the rules we have and within those rules the better team won.

At least the QB didnt sulk, not answer questions after the game then storm off like Cam did last year. :)
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

It's not automatic or even probable that whoever wins the coin toss wins in OT with a first possession TD. (Consider that no one scored the whole first quarter.) The stats I have seen show a slight edge to winning the toss - 52% to 48%. But 70% of OT games are decided by a FG.

But when one team is relatively unstoppable going into OT, it probably doesn't matter who wins the toss. Probably.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

wayfriend wrote:It's not automatic or even probable that whoever wins the coin toss wins in OT with a first possession TD. (Consider that no one scored the whole first quarter.) The stats I have seen show a slight edge to winning the toss - 52% to 48%. But 70% of OT games are decided by a FG.

But when one team is relatively unstoppable going into OT, it probably doesn't matter who wins the toss. Probably.
The last stats I saw [I think a season ago, but maybe 2] the toss LOSER actually had a slight advantage, 51 or 2%.
IIRC,it was only 7 [maybe 8?] times out of 50 or so games that the team that won the toss scored a TD and won the game on the first drive.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Vraith wrote:The last stats I saw [I think a season ago, but maybe 2] the toss LOSER actually had a slight advantage, 51 or 2%.
yeah. Winning the toss isn't the same as receiving first; I think I mixed them up.

Interestingly enough, a bit over a year ago Belichick won the toss and elected to kick to the Jets in overtime. The Pats lost. Arguments ensued. Belichick's logic was this: having the second possession means (a) you likely start with better field position due to a punt or forcing a turnover, and (b) you only need to get into FG range rather than make a TD.

When the number-crunchers tested out Bill's math, they found: The game-winning score happens just about as often on the second possession of overtime as it does on the first possession of overtime. It's basically a toss-up.

So there you go.

And that's probably why the Pats elected to receive this time. :)
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

There is also no kicking a field goal on OT correct?
I think that makes it a lot fairer.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

HLT: My understanding of the rule is that a first-possession-in-OT field goal is allowed, but is not an automatic game winner. The other team would get a possession; if they fail to score, then the FG wins for the team that did score. If the second team to possess scores a TD, they win; if they score a FG, the game is again tied and the next score wins.

As we saw, a first-possession TD is a winner.

After the first possession of OT, any score wins.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

"Alright, none of you Massholes can claim we don't keep our word."
Back-Handed Integrity.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

AHAHAHHAHAHAHA :) They honored the bet. But that bet doesn't mean they cant call someone names. I would be willing to bet that Sam Adams brewers and Sweetwater brewers were calling each other worse as the stakes kept getting raised.

Just some good natured fun!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I don't know how well it will market outside of Boston. The Patriots were favored to win going in and Brady and Belichick are not well liked. Brady is No 5 on the list of the most hated NFL players. Its a list not only of the players who currently are in the game but also of all players who ever played the game.
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

I heard about the movie on Collider MovieTalk.

The general sentiment on the show was that they coud make a better movie by telling the story of how he got drafted so low, had to overcome that, and then went on to win his first Super Bowl.

That immediately got me to thinking about a trilogy!

First moveis an underdog story that culminates in Super Bowl XXXVI.

Second movie is the "dark Chapter" and revolves around losing two Super Bowls to the NY Giants.

Third movie is the triumphant final chapter, going from Deflategate to Super Bowl LI.

Hilary Swank could play Tom Brady. Who's your pick???
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!

Return to “Sports”