Sheri S. Tepper

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

Sheri S. Tepper

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

Donaldson wrote a blurb for the cover of either Northshore or Southshore...I forget which....that's a good series BTW...and what was the other series of hers? With the dervishes and the crones....and the crystals...and a guy named Philip? Maybe? I liked it....but I can't remember what it's called or if that was even her...I think it was...It was one of those Fantasy that goes sci-fi in the end....sorta like the pern series, y'know...
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

edit
Last edited by matrixman on Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

FMI, she wrote three trilogies for young adults (I actually like them better than any of her novels for grownups :) ) with the dervishes and crystals...its set on a world where humans are relative new comers, and the sentient world felt sorry for them, because they were weak, so gave them "magical" powers, like reading minds, flying, the ability to transform themselves into dragons, etc. The humans, of course, misuse these powers to gain power over each other, and the entire society turns itself into a never ending game of D&D. The first trilogy is about a shape changing human named Mavin, the second trilogy is about her son Peter, also a shape changer, and the third is about Peter's girlfrend, a wizard named Jinian, who can also speak to animals...
Love as thou wilt.

fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

AH-HA! So it was Peter, not Philip....I read those about Jinian, I want to read the others...do you by any chance remember the name of the books or just of the overall series or anything? I really like Tepper...
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I can't remember the names of the individual books, but the first trilogy was called something to the affect of The Saga or Story of Mavin Manyshaped...the Peter books were known as The True Game Trilogy, I think, and the Jinian ones were called something like The End of the Game Trilogy...
Love as thou wilt.

kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Her first trilogy was called True Game and consisted of King's Blood Four(-83), Necromancer Nine(-83) and Wizard's Eleven(-84). Followed by The Song...(-85), The Flight...(-85) and the Search of Mavin Manyshaped(-85), which became The Chronicles of Mavin Manyshaped. Jinian Footseer, Dervish Daughter and Jinian Star-Eye became The End of The Game(-87).

But the ones I like the most are her SF-Fantasy-Eco-thrillers Grass(89), Raising the Stones(90) and Sideshow(92), a mix between fantasy and SF from an ecological patriarchal/matriarchal point of view...really good...

kasten
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Thanks, guys. I had heard she was uneven, and wanted some pointers which ones to read.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Ermingard
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Ermingard »

If you like thought provoking sf/fantasy try "Gate to womens country" It can be described as feminist.. ;) it's really good! I also liked "Singer to the sea"
"It is impossible for human nature to believe that money is not there. It seems so much more likely that the money is there and only needs bawling for."
--Dorothy Sayers, Busman's Honeymoon
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

thanks
TC to Bannor, LFB
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

The fresco by Sheri S. Tepper

Post by taraswizard »

Recently, for a comm. college class I enrolled in. The Fresco was on the assigned reading list. It is pretty good, but only thing by Sherri Tepper I read. Some readers are really put off by her politics, not a problem to me, but 'Im justsayin'. And IMO, the aliens described in this book are a little to human for my tastes. But the book is an excellent read and very good story.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Not familiar wtih her work, but I might give it a try now, cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
caliope
Servant of the Land

Post by caliope »

The theme that she employs throughout her books that I really enjoy is that of metamorphosis. I wouold like to live inside her head for a week!

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”