How Do You Feel Today? v4

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Good luck Nanothnir

On a unrelated note - just having one of those grateful moments now. I was out to lunch with a group of coworkers. We were presented salad and I took a portion. Well......out of the corner of my eye I noticed what at the time I thought was a weird shaped object. Since it looked so unusual I nudged it with my finger. Come to find out it was a small metal hinge like that could have been on a metal tray or some object like that. Anyways we called over one of the employees and complained about the whole situation. Eventually the whole meal was given to us for free.

But I am just grateful that I was not so preoccupied with conversation/etc that I had noticed it. Who knows I could be in hospital, or it could have been lodged in my throat or caused ripping and tearing in mouth or worse case ingested (although that is doubtful because of the size - more likely would have just tore up tongue and teeth and upper mouth). Anyways grateful for small things in life right about now.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Speaking of odd things in food at restaurants, I have a pretty funny story to share. On my 21st birthday, my folks took me to an Olive Garden for a meal, and I ordered a margarita.

While I was drinking it, I kept feeling something crunchy. I thought it was just the salt that they put on the rim of my glass getting into the drink. Eventually I noticed the pieces were larger, jagged, and definitely not salt. I spit it out and realized that it was a piece of clear plastic. I guess it was from some sort of plastic wine glass or something else in the kitchen that somehow got shredded.

I called the manager over, and they checked out the margarita machine. Sure enough, they found little bits of clear plastic inside it and had to stop serving for the rest of the night (supposedly). Anyway, the meal was free at least, and I received a coupon for another alcoholic beverage next time I came back. I never used that damn coupon after my experience there...

tl;dr I drank plastic.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Yikes. Not a fan of surprises when it comes to food.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Iolanthe wrote:Hi Nanothnir. First time we've met, I think. Welcome to the Watch.

Don't give up. I know it doesn't anyway equate, but I took my grade 8 piano exam 3 times. First time aged 16, got a low pass. Second time when 7 months pregnant with my daughter - got 2 marks more than the first time. Third time one year later (1978) got my distinction. Keep at it and it will work out. Wish I had been brainy enough to do what you're doing. I hear that medical school is tough.
Exactly :D

Nano Donaldson tried numerous publishing companies to get his books published .. stay with it .. form a study group .. dont dishearten .. keep at it.

Its probably a shock to the system given its the first time youve not passed. Youll get there. 😁😎
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Whooo hooo good food free .. almost worth the crushed plastic margarita lol 😂

My dear old nan loved cooking for her grandkids.. I was eating this yummy cheesecake she made us and like you felt something hard and crunchy that felt weird .. after swallowing some I spat some out and realised it was ground glass 😬 .. not sure if wed pissed her off or what .. lol 😂

She was getting old and was very embarrassed. LOL 😬
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Chin up Nanothnir, you'll get it next time.

Uh...I don't really have any funny or unpleasant food stories. I'm a very fussy eater so I'm careful about what I eat.

Friday at last (already). Hooray.

Think I might be getting a touch of flu. Meh.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Funny Ive been getting a sore throat .. on the left side. Probably too many late nights, early mornings and changes in weather
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

This season's vaccine seems to have a low efficacy for adults, unfortunately. We are required to be vaccinated for the flu every year, but a few classmates have still gotten pretty sick from it.

Personally, I avoid the flu by avoiding crowds of people when it's not necessary to be around others (like with patients, etc), wash my hands every time I am about to eat a meal, and use paper towels to open doors. I am also careful to avoid anything that could be a potential fomite as much as possible.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

For the first time ever I was offered a flu jab this year but declined, and I haven't had flu (touch wood). Apparently I'm now on the "at risk" list. Maybe that sub arachnoid haemorrhage I had a couple of years ago, or just because I'm 65. Anyway, I'm now feeling very well. Just one blister from two long walks today. Had to get off the bus early this morning as a car had gone into a bus in front of us and the road was blocked, then had to walk home 2 miles from the hairdresser as no busses between there and home.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I've avoided the flu so far, though it's been going around at work.

Have gotten the shot every year since I ended up on the "at risk" list, which is about ten years ago now. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

😁 well Im feeling 100 percent today. 😁

Throat was still sore yesterday but feel nothing today. ☀️ Another HOT one today 35C and its 30 now at 8.20pm. Supposed to be cooler tomorrow 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Nanothnir wrote:Just came here to vent a bit. Took a final and scored just below passing. It was a particularly tough exam (out of two total in the class), and since I didn't do so hot on the first test, I will fail the class. This means I will have to remediate the course over the "summer" (in reality a little over a month before I start rotations). This is at the same time that I have to study for my boards, and failing remediation most likely results in expulsion from medical school. Apparently, this isn't uncommon (for people to fail a class in medical school), although most people pull through and graduate even if they have to remediate.
So, failing remediation would likely result in expulsion - yowzers, that's a big consequence!
Is the timing for when you take your boards in a very fixed, immovable timeline?
That all sounds like STRESS.
nanothnir wrote:This is the first class I failed, and I feel absolutely miserable. Fun times.
Of course! Some of my experiences of failing classes didn't even have so much on the line as you describe, but I was wretched over it.
A friend of mine made fun of me during undergrad because once I took a class because I thought it was an interesting & fun topic even though it wasn't in my major.
And I then failed it.

samrw3, nanoth, and Sky - RE food experiences - Eeeeks! :hairs: 'nuff said.

Av, I just imagined "what if the posts were in reverse?" (b/c they scroll in reverse when you click "reply")
If that were the case, you'd be saying "don't worry; you'll get it next time" in response to Nanothnir saying he was trying to avoid the flu.
(I'm easily-amused.)

Over here, I am having a pretty good day. Lots of talking to people. pretty hyper.
Re-connected with a friend who is probably moving soon and I was worrying, "I won't get to see her!"
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Hi all. :wave:

So after bitching about my brother and my mother's estate here, a long time ago, I should probably report back. At long last, we settled everything in January. I had to take him to court to get him to buy me out of the house (dunno whether I had shared that I'd filed suit against him or not, but I did, and it took more than a year to settle :x ).

I guess the good news is that it's over. And I'm in the process of turning the whole mess into a memoir, so I may *really* have the last laugh...

Other than that, not much new. I still have the same crappy job but I'm closer to retiring -- less than two years now before I'm eligible. :banana: And I get to install a zipper in a sweater today. Exciting times...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

awwww maaaan... that sounds like a whole lotta not-fun, ali.

the lawsuit against yer brother sounds like the most delightful time I can imagine.
And by that I mean:
:hairs:

glad to see ya around, though! :wave:
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Ali! :wave:

Glad it's all finally settled. What an ordeal. No drama like family drama.

Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:
Nanothnir wrote:Just came here to vent a bit. Took a final and scored just below passing. It was a particularly tough exam (out of two total in the class), and since I didn't do so hot on the first test, I will fail the class. This means I will have to remediate the course over the "summer" (in reality a little over a month before I start rotations). This is at the same time that I have to study for my boards, and failing remediation most likely results in expulsion from medical school. Apparently, this isn't uncommon (for people to fail a class in medical school), although most people pull through and graduate even if they have to remediate.
So, failing remediation would likely result in expulsion - yowzers, that's a big consequence!
Is the timing for when you take your boards in a very fixed, immovable timeline?
That all sounds like STRESS.
We have a three month window to take the exam, and the deadline is the end of a month in the summer. (To take it at least the first time). I did manage to push my exam back a couple weeks, though. This will still give me adequate time I believe in order to prepare for it. Right now, it's spring break, and I am board-prepping during mornings and afternoons and taking the evenings off.

Regarding remediation, I was told the school's policies regarding it, and it doesn't seem as scary as I thought it would be. Still, I will have to study my ass off because I can't fail it again.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Good grief, Monday again? Really over this.

Looks like I managed to shake off the flu. Just sorta drifting about...not really in the mood for anything...

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I hear ya, Av. The time change Saturday night kicked my butt. :cry:

Good to see you, too, Linna! :)

I may just suck it up and start bringing my iPad to work so I can post here during the work day again. I had IT unblock the Watch several years ago, but they blocked it again sometime last year and I'm pretty sure the current management won't unblock it again. :( They have *really* cracked down on accessing personal stuff of any type -- I can't check Gmail, can't upload anything to Dropbox, can't upload/download any photos here or on FB or anywhere else. And if I spend too much time on FB, the page stops loading automatically. :evil: I know, I know, I'm supposed to be working at work. But sometimes there's not much to do, and sometimes you just need a break, y'know?
Sorus wrote:Glad it's all finally settled. What an ordeal. No drama like family drama.
No kidding. Thanks. :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hi Ali. Glad to hear all that stuff with your brother is sorted. Retiring in 2 years? Why not take a trip over here? I miss you all. Could have done with Lorin last week when I had a blister - she always had a blister plaster with her when I was around.

I've actually spent quite a bit of time today at the computer transcribing stuff. Got sore eyes again now though. Can't hack it any more - used to be able to spend a whole day or evening in front of the screen.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Speaking of food, Av, do you have a good recipe for Skilpadjies? (I mean, I could google it... and I have, but I figure it'd be best to ask a real South African :D)

Since you asked, I'm well. I'm headed back to Hawaii (first time returning since I moved off island) for a week and a half on Friday and it's hard to stay focused at work, but I have SO. MUCH. to do, I'm likely going to put in two week's worth of work this week to make up for the time off. I'm not sure this is how vacations are supposed to work...

Also - hello to all of you, old faces and new! You all look absolutely fabulous!
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter

Return to “General Discussion Forum”