Lord Foul's Name

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

reminds me of that scifi short story (Arthur C. Clarke I believe: The Nine Billion Names of God) in which Tibetan monks buy a supercomputer to permutate the letters which might constitute the possible names of God, and when the computer finds them all after a few days, the world ends

who knows what terrible name Lord Foul really has? some unpronouncable, unutterable, mighty name?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

He who...

Post by aliantha »

who knows what terrible name Lord Foul really has? some unpronouncable, unutterable, mighty name?
I know -- it's Voldemort!

:roll: :wink:
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

he was named the Despiser .. and a whole heap of other names (which escape me now)given to the 'immortal one' imprisoned on this 'earth' who desires the destruction of the AoT to liberate himself
From your description, Lord Foul must really be Bob The Builder.

:)
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Apologies to any non-UK people.
Bannor
Giantfriend

Another One

Post by Bannor »

I am really enjoying the discussion here. I almost forgot one of the other classic names, Drool Rockworm. I wonder what picture comes to mind when someone who hasn't read TCTC hears it. A decidely SRD verb comes to MY mind: slavering!
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm... verb 'slaver' .. to 'slaver' .. conjures a delightful image doesn't it .. of the act of 'slavering'.

Even though a non-UK person myself .. I often find myself in quiet moments singing that immortal classic .. 'Bob the Builder' .. (I think that is the title .. but if not you know the one I mean .. the theme song :wink: )

No fear my fellow noble Watchman .. Bob the Builder .. is known here! .. and as far as him being LF .. could be .. LF is probably as scary as BtB!! 8O

But if as Aliantha suggests .. LF's real name may be Voldemort .. I can see why he prefers not to go by that name .. I'd go for .. Lord Foul myself than be called Voldemort!

though it would make a lovelly Hungarian name :wink:

What do you think Amy?? Is your name really .. Voldemort??
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
danlo
Lord

U know Bob the Builder?

Post by danlo »

I always sing the GREAT Australian song "Bob the Kelpie" about the sheephearding dog "He's my mate, he's here to help me, he is Bob the Kelpie!" Jamacia looks like a Kelpie so I sing that song 2 her all the time!
fall far and well Pilots!
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

believe it or not, Lord Foul's name in the Hungarian translation of LFB is

Kárhozat Úr

:-)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
arwenavery
Woodhelvennin

hmm...

Post by arwenavery »

except for the despiser , despite , lord foul.....is there anything that im missing concerning his name ?????? was he like sauron in LOTR the necromancer??? Or was he named Lord foul cause of his bad morning breath ( heheheh !!)

i like amni....`s version of his name ...sounds somewhat scarier...imagine a theif comming up and saying ..im mister nasty ...what would you do ????probably LAUGH!!!

your probably right though...sky...foul was an invented name by the lords ...which has develpoed through time to suit the meaning ..im a strong believer in the land being another dimension of earth....before the industrial revolution....

damn i sound like a nerdy geek now...what`l i do now by cover is blown!!!

*cough , cough*
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Actually I figure that Drool Rockworm would have been a cool name for Foul and the potential use for the name was a bit wasted with the early demise of Drool. That's one character that should have been around for longer :)
Bannor
Giantfriend

Resurrection of Drool Rockworm

Post by Bannor »

Wasn't Drool in the process of being resurrected by the cavewights in WGW? Seems they were raising something evil out instead of Drool. Gotta believe that's going to be in the 3rd Chronicles. (sorry for chasing a rabbit on this one)
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."
pitchwife
<i>Elohim</i>

BtB?

Post by pitchwife »

Please enlighten my West Coast ignorance :oops: , (or maybe lack of sense of humor) but what does Bob the Builder have to do with Lord Foul?
My 5 year old son loves BtB, he collected all the characters (Scoop, Muck, Lofty,...) and loves watching the videos. Are we talking about the same Bob the Builder?!! Speaking of fouls, I vote for Diesel 10. There too Thomas saves the day!
Pitch
We are who we are - and what we are not, we will never become
Bannor
Giantfriend

Bob the Builder

Post by Bannor »

I wanted to ask who Bob the Builder was myself, but I was hesitant to show my ignorance.
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."
Hearthcoal
Lord

Post by Hearthcoal »

I always thought Voldemort sounded like an African cheese.

(I thinks it's because Veld and Vold look and sound similar, and Roquefort ends in an "o-r-t" like Voldemort. "Waiter, I'll have the salad of mixed field greens with walnuts, vinegrette and Voldemort crumbles, thank you.")
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Foamfollower1013 »

It looks like once you win this Doubting Thomas over he is absolute, as is a Covenant.
I never thought of it that way before...but I really like that. :D

~Foamy~
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm ... I think Covenant jr ... was um ... just being facetious .. methinks it were not really intended it as a serious parallel ;)

.. oooh argghh .. me hearty .. :wink:

Interesting Bannor that you mentioned the resurrection of Drool .. its interesting that the resurrected being they were summoning would have been evil isnt it? As he was already representative of evil .. so maybe they would just bring him back as his evil old self .. or an even more evil yet slightly comical self ..

believe it or not, Lord Foul's name in the Hungarian translation of LFB is Kárhozat Úr
I like that .. now that sounds evil .. scary even .. Much more scary than LF or Mr Nasty .. or any of the above suggested titles ..

Foul always fell short of being a truly evil presence ... but as mentioned also .. the same is true of Drool .. Now the Ravers were pretty scary evil kinda dudes .. they had me convinced that they were the antagonists in the book .. but Foul .. well apart from the summoning scene where he possessed the townsfolk .. he never really seemed to get up to speed with the whole evilness vibe ..

maybe all that will change in the 3rd chrons. ?? who knows ...

mmm .. maybe Voldemort being a good 'cheesy' kinda name .. would have suited Foul better ..

<sounds mouldy volde - mort = morty = mouldy ..

:wink: word games
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

That's very funny

Post by Guest »

Prince of Amber wrote: Seriously - what bugs me is why they couldn't see he was a wrong 'un. I mean Linden could see a raver from a hundred yards, why couldn't the old lords tell it was Foul, whatever his name was? Surely his aura would have been 10 times worse than a raver. How did Linden react when she sees Lord Foul in WGW? I forget.
Linden could sense a Raver (and Foul himself) pretty easily, but I don't think anyone else could. The people of Soaring Woodhelven couldn't detect that Jehannum was a Raver (well, at least not by using their health-sense, although they were suspicious enough of him to give him the test of truth), and I seem to remember the Lords having to actually ask someone if they were a Raver (was it Rue, at the beginning of The Illearth War, when she told them that a Giant was leading Foul's army?)

I actually really like the name Foul, although I think the Despiser is the perfect title for him. But I've always wondered - why the Grey Slayer? What was so Grey about him. Grey to me suggests ambiguity, somwhere between black and white, and Foul's about the only think in the series that's NOT black and white (although the issue of how to oppose himdefinitely is). Curious.

As for the name "Drool Rockworm", I could never really take it seriously. Donaldson might as well have named him Dribble Hairybutt or Snotty Fiddlesticks. Between the silly name and his semi-coherent cackling, I never found him threatening.

Anyway, this is my first post here, so hey y'all!
Caer-Caveral
Servant of the Land

Post by Caer-Caveral »

Hmmmm... the above post was me. I thought I was logged in, but apparently I was as logged out as the One Tree. Har har.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Donaldson might as well have named him Dribble Hairybutt or Snotty Fiddlesticks
ROFL and LMAO!!

Welcome Caer .. be welcome among us .. Welcome and true ...

.. it seems you will fit in perfectly here .. among us um .. "highly refined intellectuals" who possess a penchant for Donaldson ..

.. personally speaking I feel more at home on the Gap trivia quiz page for dummies .. where I am right at home :wink: .. it can get pretty scary here .. nah just kidding ya .. this is as scary as it gets ..

methinks .. a Dribbley Hairybutt is way more scary :wink:

pfft .... ROFL LMAO!! again ..
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
NOM
Servant of the Land

names

Post by NOM »

evil travels swiftly with many names ( p.s. i am so obsessed with this series that i made my partner buy me a white gold ring! no white fire yet though!!!) :lol: :lol:

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”