Lord Foul's Bane limited edition - Grim Oak Press

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

frik
Servant of the Land

Lord Foul's Bane limited edition - Grim Oak Press

Post by frik »

This is fantastic news!!! Just got myself a lettered!

https://grimoakpress.com/blogs/news/pre ... -donaldson
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Still no pictures of the product, Shawn.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Just a suggestion to Grim Oak Press - try giving a "sneak peak" like Amazon does of some of the pages. Before I shell out $100-$400 I want to have some idea of the quality of product I'm getting. But that could just be me.
KevinM
Servant of the Land

Post by KevinM »

I was super fortunate enough to just nab myself a Lettered copy of Lord Foul's Bane, from a cancelled order...

And to add to my glee, it was even letter C, so nice and early in the run...

Right place, right time, but I was very happy to snaffle it!

Can't wait...
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Congrats, Kevin!

I also managed to purchase a Lettered when the book was first announced. No idea what letter though.

I've been waiting for decades for a small press to do a signed limited edition of this series. So looking forward to seeing it in a few months.

HBJ
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

KevinM wrote:I was super fortunate enough to just nab myself a Lettered copy of Lord Foul's Bane, from a cancelled order...

And to add to my glee, it was even letter C, so nice and early in the run...

Right place, right time, but I was very happy to snaffle it!

Can't wait...
Hi KevinM

Had a very exciting Summer here on Kevinswatch, unlocking High Lord Kevin's First Ward.
If you're interested in such things and believe they hold some intrinsic value then stick around, to help unlock the Second.

It only took us 42 years ... :roll:
ShawnSpeakman
Servant of the Land

Post by ShawnSpeakman »

Just stopping in real quick to highlight the first interior artwork showcased from the Grim Oak Press limited/lettered editions of LORD FOUL'S BANE double-signed by Stephen R. Donaldson & artist Allen Morris.

Berek & Covenant Here: https://www.facebook.com/GrimOakPress/p ... 4806433247

Pre-Order Here: https://grimoakpress.com/products/lord- ... ed-edition
ShawnSpeakman
Servant of the Land

Post by ShawnSpeakman »

Also, I just posted two cover concepts on the Grim Oak Press Community Facebook Group. Looking for opinions and examples of how YOU would like the cover design to look. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/grimoakcommunity/

:)
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Hi Shawn, and Welcome to Kevinswatch.

I've always thought The Land the most important character
in the Chronicles. As a long time visitor here I'm biased
towards Mt.Thunder, Peak of the Fire Lions, for Lord Foul's Bane -

Andelain for The Illearth War, and frozen Revelstone
The Power that Preserves.

But then, woody scenes for Grim Oak Press seems equally prevelant.

Ciao
KevinM
Servant of the Land

Post by KevinM »

Hello Shawn...

Nice to see you post on here, and it's heartening that LFB is progressing nicely, albeit a little slower than hoped for :)

But, I would much rather take the delay (currently looking like September), than have this work of art rushed!

I too have the same thoughts as Lazy Luke, above, and feel that there are so many emotive scenes and so much imagery conjured up in The Chronicles, especially the wonderfully descriptive locations in The Land, that SRD brings magically to life, that it would be a shame to not utilise these as the basis for the covers...

So, I feel that a theme could be used for the three covers (for the First Chronicles, at least), by portraying a key location and pivotal moment from each book for each cover...

This would instantly draw the reader into each book, even before opening the first page, as the heart of each book is dramatically depicted, in all of its glory, and in all of its magnificence...like an invitation to The Land itself!

I hope this gives you some food for thought, and it isn't too late to finalise the covers...

Kind regards...
ShawnSpeakman
Servant of the Land

Post by ShawnSpeakman »

Yes, the Land is featured on the cover. It's a wrap around cover, with Foamfollower and Revelstone in the far distance.

I'm more interested in hearing about the font, typography, design layout, etc. of the front cover. :)
KevinM
Servant of the Land

Post by KevinM »

Sorry Shawn, I misunderstood what you were looking for...

In terms of the font and layout etc...initially, I thought the yellow fonted cover was a little too "in your face", with the large blazened title...but it is actually growing on me, although I might reduce the book title font size slightly. It just feels a tad too large, but only slightly...especially if, for book 3, you have to have "The Power That Preserves" in the same size font, for consistency...that title might look a little cramped with the current font size.

I also wonder how the title would look in just white font, rather than the yellow...he is the White Gold Wielder, after all, so white font seems much more fitting...though maybe you could experiment and see if you can keep the shading/mottling that you have in the yellow font, but in whites (if it's actually possible to have white shading/mottling)...

I also am not keen on the yellow area at the bottom...I would like to see what that looked like removed, with the "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant...etc" just in white font (same font as it is) below SRD's name...

One thing I would say though about the actual depiction of Covenant is...the two images have a slightly different depiction of him...the yellow fonted image makes him look a little stockier than the white font image...I prefer his portrayal in the white fonted depiction...he looks more wirey and more how I pictured him in my head...

Hopefully you can post some more variations of fonts and layouts once you have tinkered with the design...

Thanks
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

The Chronicles were originally 70's paperback novels and looking
at fonts from that era - Hemera II, Salazar, and Conserta with their twirls and spirals,
for example - might give a mild nostalgic feel.

I read somewhere a comment saying, 'Donaldson, is Covenant, is Donaldson',
as both author and central character are story writers: Pena Caldaria (Lord Foul's Bane),
with vtks autorized 2 (the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever) may show a flare of authenticity.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Don't make it "nostalgic". Make it vital.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Lovely to meet you Kevin and Shawn .. great to see you back at the Watch and posting.

I think making TCTC nostalgic denies its relevance to todays readers. Yes its a 70s publication but the story itself surely is now an immortal classic. It should reflect the 70s like LOTRs should reflect the 40s not at all imv.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

ShawnSpeakman wrote:Yes, the Land is featured on the cover. It's a wrap around cover, with Foamfollower and Revelstone in the far distance.

I'm more interested in hearing about the font, typography, design layout, etc. of the front cover. :)
That sounds amazing will go check it out :biggrin: cheers
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

The numbered and lettered editions of Lord Foul's Bane, from Grim Oak Press:

HBJ
KevinM
Servant of the Land

Post by KevinM »

They look absolutely awesome HBJ! :thumbsup:

Did you splash out and order both the Lettered and the Limited versions? That's some hardcore Covenant love if you did! :)

Thanks for the pictures...a fitting release for the most epic of stories!
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yes, I couldn't resist getting both. Partly because they are quite different designs, and they both sounded great, and partly because I was so excited by the thought - finally - of a signed limited edition of the series that I went a bit overboard.

Here are some more pics of the lettered:

Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Here are some more pics of the numbered. There are still some copies available.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”