What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

Just starting Matter by Iain M. Banks.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i'm back on The Expanse series. listening on audible. on the second book, Caliban's War.

omg I so love Jefferson Mays' reading of Chrisjen Avasarala!!!! :lol:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

I'm currently re-reading Firstborn by Stephen Baxter and Arthur C Clarke.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

lucimay wrote:i'm back on The Expanse series. listening on audible. on the second book, Caliban's War.

Just got caught up on Expanse, my first read through. Really dug the current book, I like shake-ups. I think Miller was my favorite character. Not sure about the show but it's good enough haha

Finally reading Mordants Need! SOOO good. Love the Mirror magic.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Congratulations for starting the read of Mordant's Need, balon! I love those books!!! Please feel free to stop by the Mordant's Need forum and post your thoughts once you're done with them! (I don't recommend your visiting the forum before you're done, however, because of spoiler danger.)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, we sorta assume everybody has read them by now. ;)

--A
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

balon! wrote:
lucimay wrote:i'm back on The Expanse series. listening on audible. on the second book, Caliban's War.

Just got caught up on Expanse, my first read through. Really dug the current book, I like shake-ups. I think Miller was my favorite character. Not sure about the show but it's good enough haha

Finally reading Mordants Need! SOOO good. Love the Mirror magic.

i'm on Babylon's Ashes now. I skipped book 4 (the one where they go to that planet and all get blind and shit) I just wanted to get on to the whole Amos rescuing Peaches and all that. heh. you know I haven't read Persepolis Rising yet...I started it but then got distracted by Jack Reacher (cause I found out Scott Brick read the newest Reacher book, heh) and then Harry Bosch so I started the expanse again to try and get through Persepolis Rising cause the next one after that is already out!

I didn't care for Mordants Need.
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~

Post by Avatar »

Pfft, MN is great. :D (And Thud was the last Pratchett book I read.)

Anyway, looks like I might be starting a full Malazan re-read...Just started Dancer's Lament yesterday. (Not a lot of people seem to like these Esselmont prequels, but I do. :D)

Not reading the Kharkanas books this time though...although the truest prequels, they're just so dark and gloomy and dense. I'll probably read them again when book 3 comes out, but for now they're too harsh.

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I've been very happy with the Path books!

Oy. Didn't realize the third was out. I had the 19th in my head, for some reason.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Cord Hurn wrote:Congratulations for starting the read of Mordant's Need, balon! I love those books!!! Please feel free to stop by the Mordant's Need forum and post your thoughts once you're done with them! (I don't recommend your visiting the forum before you're done, however, because of spoiler danger.)
Thanks!! It's about time I read them hahaha
I put my toes in and read a thread and then immediately left HAHA it's too good I dont want to give away the ending. Just scored a first ed hardback of A Man Rides Through that I started today! I'll definitely come in once I finish. Loving it so far.
lucimay wrote:
i'm on Babylon's Ashes now. I skipped book 4 (the one where they go to that planet and all get blind and shit) I just wanted to get on to the whole Amos rescuing Peaches and all that. heh. you know I haven't read Persepolis Rising yet...I started it but then got distracted by Jack Reacher (cause I found out Scott Brick read the newest Reacher book, heh) and then Harry Bosch so I started the expanse again to try and get through Persepolis Rising cause the next one after that is already out!

I didn't care for Mordants Need.
Amos is my fav character! Didn't like what they did to him for the tv series AT ALL.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.

Post by Avatar »

Fist and Faith wrote:I've been very happy with the Path books!

Oy. Didn't realize the third was out. I had the 19th in my head, for some reason.
Wait, the 3rd one is out?!?

Damn, what great timing. Ordering it right now. (And yeah, I've really enjoyed them.)

--A
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

So I finished Gardens of the Moon and am reading it a second time because I got so confused by who was allied with whom and what were they fighting over anyway??... Lol. That's what I get for reading in bed after binge watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. There are things I know I missed and it makes a lot more sense the second time.

Next up: My daughter sent me Where the Forest Meets the Stars. Reviews look intriguing.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

That does sound intriguing.. AND Im glad its not just me that found GOTM confusing. At least YOU finished it .. I dumped it.

Now I must remember the book Av recommended as prequel which makes all clear.

Reading Feists Magician. Really well written but Im not a fan of the weird plot lines. I mean I guess these days you just HAVE to push out all the stops to come up with something remotely original. Not the worst book Ive ever read 😉 so theres that.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

Magician was published in 1982. :D (I like them, but I prefer the concurrent "Empire" series with Janny Wurts.)

The prequel I recommended was Night of Knives by Esslemont.

Anyway, I'm reading Esslemont's Deadhouse Landing now. Only problem is, I'm likely to finish it long before book 3 (now ordered) turns up. :(

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

deer of the dawn wrote:So I finished Gardens of the Moon and am reading it a second time because I got so confused by who was allied with whom and what were they fighting over anyway??... Lol. That's what I get for reading in bed after binge watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. There are things I know I missed and it makes a lot more sense the second time.
deer, by all means, ask us questions!! There is SOOO much going on! Can't say any of us will remember it all, but maybe between all of us.

Very happy you decided to read it again, rather than give up! :lol: Many people don't like Gardens, and don't go on, or don't even finish it. I enjoyed it more than most people do, but readily and happily admit it gets a lot better starting with the very next book!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

balon! wrote: Amos is my fav character! Didn't like what they did to him for the tv series AT ALL.
i'm on the most current book right now (tiamat's wrath) and it's obviously the buildup for the last book in the series...lots of major stuff...but you'll get no spoilers from except...i already cried twice. had i been reading an actual book i woulda thrown it across the room! hahaha
:lol:
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~

Post by Avatar »

As I feared, I was unable to eke out Deadhouse Landing, so have had to move on to Night of Knives. I will jump back to the last Paths book as soon as it arrives. (Seems they're set about 100 years before Night of Knives, which itself is set about 25 years before GotM.)

--A

Post by Avatar »

Unexpectedly, it seems Kellanved's Reach may be delivered today...hope it gets here before we close. :D Will pause NoK quickly if it arrives. :D )

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

What do they call the situation where somebody reads so fast they have to worry about finishing the reread of the first two books of a fantasy trilogy before the third book arrives, and so might have to read something else before getting the book and finishing the trilogy?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS: I dunno Fist, what do they call it? :lol:

Starting to worry though...if it's not here in two hours, I will only be able to read it on Monday... :D

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”