Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:We already knew from the first Thor movie, though, that magic and science are one and the same, at a sufficiently advanced level. [/color]
OK, I was wondering how the two views, the advanced science from Thor vs. the mysticism I suspect will be shown in Doctor Strange , will interact.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I have yet to see Dr. Strange, so I don't know if this would be answered upon viewing that. Now that Ghost Rider's story arc is wrapped up, what do the initials in the current storyline's title stand for?
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Menolly wrote:... Now that Ghost Rider's story arc is wrapped up, what do the initials in the current storyline's title stand for?
Life Model Decoy

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Thank you! That helped a lot! :thumbsup:
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I didn't realize the show had picked back up already--I have missed a couple of episodes. The last I saw, Robbie's uncle had finished the Darkhold machine. I have some catching up to do, it seems.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Menolly wrote:Thank you! That helped a lot! :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I had to give it up.

The last few episodes that I watched I found a bit tedious and I actually was becoming anxious for the episode to be over, which is not a good sign.

AOS has never been what I wanted it to be but I was willing to give it a chance. Many of the elements are there but they are filtered through a bubble gum projector, as all ABC dramas have to be.

I've read lots of comics featuring SHIELD and its agents and through that experience I developed a perception that sticks with me today and makes me wince when I watch the show. When I was a kid reading comics I imagined SHIELD as an American MI6 and Nick Fury as a tough as nails counterpart to James Bond (not the Roger Moore James Bond but Connery or Craig...mostly Craig). Sure Bond will kick the snot out of you but that's mostly in close quarters after he's run out of ammunition. He delivers final justice more often than not with a Walther PPK, a rifle, a machine gun, a bazooka, an explosive or a lethal and fascinating gadget.

Therefore one of my biggest complaints has to do with punching.
Yes PUNCHING.
There is a massive amount of punching in this series. AOS seems to believe that action requires tiny caliber guns and lots of kicking and punching as if that is the most effective weapon they posses. It kind of reminds me of how the film Team America World Police portrayed how "Acting" was a devastating and impressive talent to have, poking fun at self important Hollywood actors.
The team should have been mowed down by a machine gun dozens of times whilst they all stand in cool karate poses. Yes there have been a few occasions where an advanced technological device was employed to good effect but even then it was used in the middle of a punching melee. I know this is the kind of show that eschews realism for family entertainment but try to imagine the United States Army sending a platoon of soldiers into battle in Afghanistan, there wouldn't be a lot of punching going on. :-)

If I were in charge of HYDRA I'd simply direct my underlings to shoot all of the SHIELD agents while they prance around performing choreographed judo moves.

Remember the energy weapon that Agent Coulson used to blast Loki in the first Avengers movie? Well that should be standard equipment, or something like it, maybe smaller. Shooting hand guns at super powered antagonists is something a street cop would do not a secret government agency that has lots of cool toys to work with. UGH!!! Its frustrating.

Honestly I don't know if am really finished with the show or just taking a break. But the above comments demonstrate that I've reached some kind of limit to my patience. I found the show's handling of the Inhumans to be boring, a strange and dull approach to Ghost Rider and the LMD nonsense makes my head hurt.

But don't let that stop YOU from continuing to watch. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

No, I am still watching and will probably continue to watch it until the bitter end.

I know she is an LMD, but Aida simply has no imagination. She read the entire Darkhold--memorized it, actually, since her brain is a computer--and all she does with it is build The Matrix?

Disney/Marvel has enough money that they can keep the show on ABC even if the ratings and/or viewership tanks so it will last as long as they want it to.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm still enjoying the show; I think it has improved a lot since the early days, this season's pretty good.

Re: fighting/weapons, I just get annoyed whenever it seems like they've forgotten ICERs exist. I don't like them much (they're a cop out to keep things bloodless), but once they've introduced something like that they need to actually use them.

Re: Aida, the Framework was just a means to an end, and a lot of its existence was more down to Radcliffe's ideas than Aida herself. I kinda want Ophelia to survive the season and become Madam Hydra in the real world. It'd be more interesting than just killing her off.

Is tonight the season finale?
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I finally saw an episode. a female agent ended up on a distant planet, meeting an astronaut.
even though it ended on a cliffhanger, and I do not know how it ends up, I enjoyed the episode.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

So has everyone else forgotten this show like I keep almost doing?

I've been just about keeping up, by remembering it exists every few weeks and watching the episodes I've missed. The first half of this season was very good, and the premise for the second half had a lot of promise but isn't quite fulfilling it so far. The show's still good, it just feels like they could have done more interesting things with the concept (and the whole "fear dimension" thing felt like filler).
Spoiler
They're clearly at this point writing themselves into a situation where they need to kill off one of Fitz, Simmons, or Yo Yo, but I'm not sure the show would actually go through with that.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I'm Murrin wrote:
Spoiler
They're clearly at this point writing themselves into a situation where they need to kill off one of Fitz, Simmons, or Yo Yo, but I'm not sure the show would actually go through with that.
I suspect that will be the way the time loop gets broken.
Spoiler
My guess is on either Fitz or Simmons, and then Deke will simply vanish.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Spoiler
Not that would ever wish ill on Yo Yo (never a good idea), but I surely do not see either of the characters Menolly mentions being written out. Their dynamic is part of the original vibe for this show.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

This season has felt like it is going to be the last season. Sure, they may stretch it out one more but that would be a shame.

The Fear Dimension stuff was more like a McGuffin to get them to search for gravitonium.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The showrunners have said they're writing the finale as a series finale, because they don't know if it's going to be renewed.

And it turns out the Fear Dimension was an excuse to have a bunch of cameos for episode 100.

Re: my earlier spoiler:
Spoiler
After further thought it occured to me Fitz is supposed to die in the original timeline. Deke's knowledge of FitzSimmons is 100% "things my grandma told my mom", and it doesn't give the impression that Fitz was around in his daughter's life. So Jemma is either already pregnant or will be soon, and Fitz is going to die. Unless they change things.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I'm Murrin wrote:The showrunners have said they're writing the finale as a series finale, because they don't know if it's going to be renewed.
If the decision were up to me, I would end the series on a high note and/or with a bang. At the very least, change the future then let Coulson become the new Rider.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Welp, the finale happened, and some stuff I expected in there.
Spoiler
Fitz did indeed die, but they've got the "out" of bringing back the earlier, frozen version of him - although that version hasn't dealt with his darker side or married Simmons.
Overall a decent ending, although the second half of the season was weaker than the first.

And it seems the show was finally renewed, although in what feels a bit like a copout to me, it won't be back until after Avengers 4 comes out.
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Mon May 06, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

...and with Endgame having been released, AoS makes it return on Friday. I'll probably have to watch the first few episodes later On Demand, as I haven't seen Endgame yet.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The creators have said they're ignoring Infinity War/Endgame, partly because they didn't know exactly when the season would premiere so didn't want to spoil anything. So it essentially takes place before those movies. It's a shame they can't try harder to fit everything into continuity, I guess this is why Disney's bringing its newer shows in-house.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

[colro=green]That might be a little odd for them to pull off--at the end of last season, whats-his-name--the general who became Graviton--was trying to power himself up even more because the members of that alien council had cautioned him that Thanos was on his way to Earth.

Anyway, the show is a little tired at this point. I will probably continue to watch it but I suspect this really should be the last season.

Logically, there is no way that veteran spies like Black Widow still think that Coulson is dead at this point. Of course, I am not the one writing the scripts....[/color]

Return to “TV Shows”