The Corruption of Time

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

markjeffrey
Woodhelvennin

The Corruption of Time

Post by markjeffrey »

So ... speculations on what the 'corruption of time' in 'Runes' is going to be like?

Will it be like 'Back to the Future' where TC and LA are sneaking around events that have already transpired in the past two trilogies -- the defeat of the Clave, arrival in Brathairealm, or Battle of Garroting Deep, etc.? even time-travelling back to the Old Lords, being there at the Ritual of Desecration, etc.?

Or maybe these events will be 'interrupted' -- TC and LA and RC from the 'future' will alter these events? Reconfigure the entire hostory of the Land along a new timeline?

Whaddya all think?
When you're done with 'Runes' :) ... check out www.pocketandpendant.com ... like a small, minty refreshment after the Main Course has been served!
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

well, if that happened..then...hed have to rewrite the whole damn series

heh

i hope its nothin like that...he can do so much better than "time travel"...but...if he did, im sure he could do it pretty good....

maybe well see Kevin or Berek make an appearence in the present time of the Land...whatever that may be
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

When those Ranyhyn hit 88mph, who knows what'll happen...
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.

Post by Guest »

Nav wrote:When those Ranyhyn hit 88mph, who knows what'll happen...
:LOLS:

Perhaps Foul will attempt to age the Land out of existence by corrupting Time itself?
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Or maybe he'll try to revert time to get back to the age when there was still a flaw in the Rainbow...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

My first thought was that maybe Berek and Covenant are one and the same after all...
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

That's been already tackled in another thread ;)
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

So go ahead and tackle it again in a new setting, Nav. New surroundings, new ideas.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

While it's easy to get caught up in second-guessing the outcome, that risks trivializing the intervening journey. Someone figuring out how the Last Chrons will play out before SRD does would be amazing, but how many of us would be willing to go to the next level: take our own fanciful ideas and translate them into stories of our own? Of that percentage, how many would be willing to do what it takes to craft three or four great epic novels worthy of the name Stephen R. Donaldson?

Don't mean to be a grinch, I'm just offering my perspective on the endless Last Chrons speculations.
krycek
Ramen

Post by krycek »

I'm a noob to these forums, and i really need to re-read the books again to refresh my memory of things, so im probably gonna say some really stupid things but you can give me a break...th whole berek and covenant bein the same person thing has a clear flaw that i can see, i could be wrong here but bannor was alive back in the times of kevin, and surely he would have met berek? and if he and covenant were the same person surely bannor would have noticed and pointed this out? unless of course covenant told him not to in the past or something like that, but i think its startin to get a bit far fetched then isnt it?
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Hello, krycek. And Welcome!

I think you're wrong, in that Kevin was a long time after Berek. (How long I don't know)

The Haruchai came to the Land for the first time during Kevin's Lordship. Bannor would not know Berek.

I think I've got that right.

Did I say welcome? :)
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

krycek wrote:I'm a noob to these forums, and i really need to re-read the books again to refresh my memory of things, so im probably gonna say some really stupid things but you can give me a break...th whole berek and covenant bein the same person thing has a clear flaw that i can see, i could be wrong here but bannor was alive back in the times of kevin, and surely he would have met berek? and if he and covenant were the same person surely bannor would have noticed and pointed this out? unless of course covenant told him not to in the past or something like that, but i think its startin to get a bit far fetched then isnt it?
I'd have to agree with Dromond. Berek was long dead by the time Kevin was the High Lord. After Berek was Damelon, Loric, then finally Kevin. The Haruchai didn't show up until Kevin's time.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yes - Kevin was a direct descendant of Berek, through Loric, Damelon, etc. And we know that Kevin was High Lord for a very very long time, even with his life cut short as it was, so I'd think Berek was long dead.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Joy wrote:So go ahead and tackle it again in a new setting, Nav. New surroundings, new ideas.
Well, the way I see it is that TC would call himself Berek and follow the course of the legend to avoid changing the future of the Land. It could be that Foul's intention is to trick TC into changing the future, maybe preventing the formation of the council of Lords and therefore Covenant's original summoning.

As for Berek's fingers being cut off by a raver, if he has been resurrected by Earthpower in the same way as Hollian, then he should come back whole, fingers and all. Thus providing an opportunity to lose two fingers again.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

It's probaby going to be none of these predictions... Because Donaldson is not an easy man to predict...
krycek
Ramen

Post by krycek »

oops, i warned you i was likely to make a mistake, oh well... i don't think covenant would pretend to be berek, i think if he was given the chance to go back in time he would try and change it all, avoid the desecration etc. and no, we probably won't be able 2 predict what SRD's going to do, but it'll be fun to try
sesusan
Servant of the Land

Post by sesusan »

I figured TC would be tempted by LF to go back in time so that he could enjoy the Land as he loved it, Hurtloam and all. The idea that he would come back as and pretend he was Berek so as to avoid messing up time, although far fetched seems somewhat likely. Perhaps he can see the eventual destruction of the Land and tries to make small changes to prevent it. He has made great risks to bring a better life. Wouldn't that be a big risk too. You're right though it could become a very back to the future like thing.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

That would be an interesting twist if TC was actually Berek (through some time twist that comes about in the 3rd chron.). Then he'd be responsible for Elena, who led to the Law of Death being broken. And he'd also be responsible for Kevin (his heir if he were Berek), who performed the Ritual of Desecration.

Two massive, world changing events both brought on by TC. I hope that the story doesn't play out this way because time paradox stories leave me cold most of the time, but it's an interesting concept to think about :)
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Akasri wrote:That would be an interesting twist if TC was actually Berek (through some time twist that comes about in the 3rd chron.). Then he'd be responsible for Elena, who led to the Law of Death being broken. And he'd also be responsible for Kevin (his heir if he were Berek), who performed the Ritual of Desecration.

Two massive, world changing events both brought on by TC. I hope that the story doesn't play out this way because time paradox stories leave me cold most of the time, but it's an interesting concept to think about :)
About ten years ago I played with that very concept, but a buddy of mine thought I had "seen too many Star Trek" episodes and I quickly dismissed it. But now I am not so sure....
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”