The Gradual Interview

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

WOW. Donaldson answered my second question. The impression I'm getting from his responses, to mine and others' questions, is just how damn smart the guy is. I know it's apparent in his work, but his insights are remarkable.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Luke (Variol son): Thank you for your answer to my previous question. I must admit that the first chronicles was the first fantasy work I ever read that didn't leave me wanting to know more. When I finished reading it, it felt finished. Then I read Gildenfire and that destroyed my comfortable completeness. For some reason I now feel as strongly about the fidelity of the Bloodguard, the bravery of the Lords, and the survival of the Giants, as you appear to, and hence I have a nagging desire in the back of mind to know more about the mission to Seareach.

But enough rambling. I have always wondered about Elena's strange "other sight", and the way it was powerful when it came into focus with her normal sight. I always felt that this had to do with her participation in the Horserite of Kelenbhrabanal. Any comments on this?

I don't like to tell other people how to interpret my books. You read them: you have the right to think about them any way that suits you. But I will tell you that there's a bit more information about Elena and the horserite in "Runes". Perhaps that will shed some light on your question.

(05/06/2004)
Luke, you rock! Way to get a huge hint from SRD!
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

:S

Thanks dlbpharmd. While disappointed that the answer wasn't what I had hoped, I was very surprised that SRD revealed that information. It looks like I will finally be able to see if the Ranyhyn where using Elena after all.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Hmmm. I'm of the opinion that it was Foul's manipulations. Everything concerning Elena fell into place for the Despiser.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
kaseryn
Bloodguard in Disguise

Post by kaseryn »

lmao at both ur previous posts Fist lol
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Agreed. It has always seemed to me that Elena's entire existence from start to finish (if there can be said to be such a thing in Land) was contrived by the Despiser. But if there's going to be more info about Elena in Runes, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm very surprised...if you see what I mean :?
kaseryn
Bloodguard in Disguise

Post by kaseryn »

And since i'm here anyway.. godamn its cool how SRD's chippin in with all this isnt it? I think he may actually be warming to the whole process.. great feedback happenin. I think if anything has impressed me more than his lucidity and intelligence [which was expected eh] it's been his great humility about his work. Cool guy. But then he had to be didnt he, to have written so sympathetically.. to have written at all the things he did..
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Given the hints and slight excerpts we've had so far, I think it's safe to say I'll be surprised if I'm *not* surprised by Runes :)
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Heh. Thanks kas. Somebody appreciates me! :D I had to go back and see what my previous 2 posts were.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
kaseryn
Bloodguard in Disguise

Post by kaseryn »

Oh i know. It's HELL [fire] being a legend in your own lifetime.. !! :LOLS:
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell :oops: I don't know about Legend...
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
kaseryn
Bloodguard in Disguise

Post by kaseryn »

[sniffs] Well, speak for urself i'm sure.. j/k :lol: :)
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

heh :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

He's answered a couple more questions...awesome ones at that! I love it!! We are learning so much!! :D :D

Loved the one about the ravers! :D
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Lament
Woodhelvennin

Post by Lament »

Kay (Duchy): Of all of the vivid characters you have created which is your favorite?

I tend to have different favorites in different contexts. And I've always loved High Lord Mhoram and Saltheart Foamfollower.

The man, they Myth, the Legend. yes folks SRD!!

WHAT??
YEAYA!!!
OK!!!!
Covenant recognized that this was a fact. But he had not expected such an argument from the Giant.
"Foamfollower'" he muttered, climbing out of his bed, "you've been thinking again."
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

From the 5/13/04 questions:
So (to pick a more simple and concrete example) Sandgorgons exist in the second "Chronicles" because I mentioned them in the first; but when I mentioned them in the first, I didn't foresee their eventual importance.
Anyone know where Sandgorgons were mentioned in the First chronicles? I don't recall them.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Amok tells TC in The Illearth War that the Sandgorgons dream about White Gold, when TC asks him about it.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Lament wrote:
Kay (Duchy): Of all of the vivid characters you have created which is your favorite?

I tend to have different favorites in different contexts. And I've always loved High Lord Mhoram and Saltheart Foamfollower.

Cool. Mhorham was always my favorite.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
StoneandSea
Servant of the Land

Post by StoneandSea »

hey guys- where do i find SRD's website with this interview...
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

StoneandSea wrote:hey guys- where do i find SRD's website with this interview...
www.stephenrdonaldson.com/

Look under "From the Author"

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”