THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Ch 19

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Dragonlily
Lord

THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Ch 19

Post by Dragonlily »

This is the climactic chapter of the book. I didn’t want to start it, because Brew is so defeated, yet I couldn’t help going right on to it, because it was impossible to leave him in that condition. He has just had booze forced down his throat, and he knows he won’t be able to think straight enough to save the one girl still missing.

Sure enough, we find Brew being beaten up by Muy Estobal. (Why Muy? “Muy” means “very”. But “very Estobal?” “Very Steven?” Wait a minute...) Anyway:
I suppose I should’ve made some effort to defend myself. I wasn’t all that drunk. But everything had fallen apart on me. It was all hopeless, and I couldn’t think of a good reason to exert myself. So I didn’t.
You know how it can be in a crisis, when all your senses cut out but one? SRD captures that perfectly.
I really didn’t feel his fists much. Half the time I couldn’t even see him.

Nevertheless I could hear him fine. He panted like a locomotive, working himself up into a terrible lather. Every time he swung, he grunted like a small explosion, a lesser bomb. After each blow came a penetrating thud, muffled and profound.

Then I heard something else. A voice – a woman’s voice. It sounded dimly familiar.
This time Teresa is Brew’s savior. But as soon as she has released him from Muy Estobal, she administers the final blow to Brew’s hopes. She tells him Captain Cason got her fired, to force her not to press charges against the man who tried to rape her. She won’t be able to get work again unless she gives in to Cason.
That was the last straw. It was all too much for me – nothing mattered any more. I let myself fall back against the cement and closed my eyes.
Teresa and her relatives get Brew to her house for treatment of his wounds, but the only thing that brings Brew out of his mental collapse is the bottle of booze in old Manolo’s pocket. He gulps it down, finally drunk enough to face calamity.

Manolo apologizes for advising Brew to go to el Señor, then advises Brew to go to Ginny.
That was it, of course. Things weren’t bad enough yet. They wouldn’t be bad enough until I went and told Ginny that I’d screwed everything up. Then I’d be free to drink as much as I wanted. It wouldn’t be my problem any more.

Everything has to be paid for. Even freedom. Humiliation is the price you pay for alcohol, one way or another.
Drunk, Brew sneaks into the hospital past visiting hours to see Ginny. He expects humiliation, but not to have Ginny tear his head off. She snarls at him, she orders him out, she calls him Mick! Nobody calls him Mick, especially Ginny!
It would’ve been better if she’d shot me. No simple little hunk of lead would hurt like this.
Then intuition pounds its way into Brew’s head. Brew struggles out of his fog, realizes who is hiding behind Ginny’s curtain, and hurls a chair at him, so the bullet goes harmlessly elsewhere.
Spoiler
Julian Kirke
Brew would have beaten him to death, out of control like Ted was with Last, if Ginny hadn’t stopped him.
“Oh, God, Brew,” she breathed, “I thought he was going to kill you.”
Last edited by Dragonlily on Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Re: THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Ch 19

Post by kastenessen »

Joy wrote:Sure enough, we find Brew being beaten up by Muy Estobal. (Why Muy? “Muy” means “very”. But “very Estobal?” “Very Steven?” Wait a minute...)
Hey, this is a very nice connection...SRD and names, there's always something there to look at...and wonder...

...or as Manolo says:
"Ah, senor Axbrewder, " he sighed, "this night I have heard many sad tales. The daughter of your brother's widow has been found without her mind.. A bomb has taken the hand of your partner. The setter of the bomb is dead, and you have come no nearer to the author of these evils. It is a deep regret to me that el Senor saw fit to withhold the knowledge you seek. I will never again give such advice as I gave you. I am an old man, and old men are foolish.
Pretty much sums it up doesn't it? People in SRD's books with a cause, they just continue their work, they never give in, just keep going whatever happens, as with Brew...but in this chapter he is really as far down a man can get...then a woman is coming by and drags him out of there...a nice touch that...with Theresa I mean...

One of Brew's thoughts:
Everything has to be paid for - even freedom.
And when he speaks to Theresa for the last time in this book: ( I love these words, so filled with compassion, sympathy and profound but simple psychology.)
Theresa Maria Sanguillan y Garcia, I give you thanks. I think no ill of you, but only good. When a burden is too great to be borne, it must be set aside.
And then the end of the chapter...it's so very 1st person POV. We're there, with Brew, trying to figure out what's happening, being drunk, seconds going oh so slowly...and then ending with a throwed chair, it's kind of cool... :)

God job there Joy, three chapters in a row...one more to go...

kasten
Dragonlily
Lord

Re: THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Ch 19

Post by Dragonlily »

kastenessen wrote:And when he speaks to Theresa for the last time in this book: ( I love these words, so filled with compassion, sympathy and profound but simple psychology.)
Brew wrote:Theresa Maria Sanguillan y Garcia, I give you thanks. I think no ill of you, but only good. When a burden is too great to be borne, it must be set aside.
It's so very sad, because it is a final acceptance of defeat for both of them. :(

Good thing there's more to the chapter. Brew came through in the end. :)
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”