Pink Floyd!!

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Cord Hurn wrote:Stevie and sarge, I'm enjoying the reviews. Thank you both for all your hard work!
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Cord Hurn wrote:Stevie and sarge, I'm enjoying the reviews. Thank you both for all your hard work!
Thanks CH - it's been great fun to review these albums.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Taken as a whole album, I don't connect to "The Wall" like I do DSOTM or WYWH. So, listening to the TW is a chore for me, except of course for certain songs.

ABITW Pt 2 was my introduction to Pink Floyd, as it was a school anthem for us:

We don't need no education...

I've read where Gilmour stopped doing the song live years ago, because obviously we DO need an education. :lol:

Strangely though, other than that song, as far as I know, I didn't hear another PF song until the late 90s, when I started listening to a classic rock radio station in Memphis, TN, where we lived at the time. And then, it was "Hey You" and "Comfortably Numb" which really caught my attention, and to a lesser extent "Run Like Hell" and "Young Lust." I loved them all, and that prompted me to purchase my first PF CD, "The Wall".

And it was still those songs only that enjoyed, and forms the backdrop of why this album doesn't connect with me.

Since then, and now firmly entrenched as a PF fan, it's been the tribute band Brit Floyd that has performed so many of the other songs from "The Wall" that has brought me around a bit.

"Mother" https://youtu.be/gCOr5GHemG0

(A great thing about when I've seen this version live - at the line when Pink sings "Mother can I trust the government?" and the crowd shouts "NO!")
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

It pretty much had the opposite effect on me :D

Taken as a whole album, I was strongly affected by it - not when I first heard it, because that was when I was probably too young - but during the 80s. I find Dark Side of the Moon has more of an impact overall, but The Wall is a definite 2nd in terms of emotional impact.

Problem is, I listened to it so much that I eventually became thoroughly sick of it. However I do really enjoy going back and listening once in a while.
dlbpharmd wrote:I've read where Gilmour stopped doing the song live years ago, because obviously we DO need an education. :lol:
Much as I love Gilmour's work, he is a very pompous Englishman! We may have a discussion on this at a later date as there certainly seems to be Waters people and Gilmour people. However, in this context, I'm sure Gilmour understood the crux of the song, and was therefore just making another dig at Waters. Of course, taken literally, "We don't need no education" means "We need education" but as I'm sure almost everyone is aware, the song is protesting the type of education that people like Waters had to endure back in the 40s and 50s in England.

When I saw Roger Waters do The Wall live a couple of years ago, he played a video of himself from 1980ish playing Mother while singing along to it. He introduced the song by saying "here is a much younger, f*cked up version of myself".
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

The Wall

In the Flesh - agreed, this is fantastic opener. Full of bombast and pomposity, in the best sense. The sound effects work too from the aeroplane to the crying baby.

Null Rating - 8 out of 10.

The Thin Ice - some of these songs are hard to judge because they don't exist outside the cycle. Like this one. Love separating the verses between Dave and Roger. Dave's guitar solo is amazing.

Another Brick in the Wall (part one) - full of gorgeous moments. The main guitar throughout. The bass on the second part. The second time Roger sings "daddy what you leave behind for me?" in a more urgent manner. The whistle in the background and guitar change it brings.

Null Rating - 9 out of 10.

The Happiest Days of Our Lives - powerful drums and bass. Just punched through. Iconic lyrics. But really these three are one.

Null Rating - 7 out of 10.

Another Brick in the Wall (part two) - producer Bob Ezrin suggested the disco beat and edited the song into an extended version. He also brought in the kid's choir. Here is the link.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another ... all#Part_2
It has a good beat and you can dance to it. 😆 it's anthemic and ubiquitous. And damn catchy. The disco beat works. The kids work. I'll do more about this song in an additional post. Oh, the pudding/meat thing is awesome as well.

Null Rating - 10 out of 10.

Mother - brilliant indeed. Beautiful contrast between the vocals of Roger and Dave. And the psychology of Dave playing Mother 😆. The acoustics bring you along until a great Dave guitar solo. Rick's piano work is especially strong here. That's Jeff Porcaro of Toto on drums. Amazing player who drives this song along.

Goodbye Blue Sky - try singing the first verse, if you're not a professional singer you'll run out of air. Love Dave's acoustic play on this. We were at a Denny's after the first time we saw Roger live. Harry was there. We did not approach him.

Empty Spaces - the film version is superior. This is too transitory.
You here the front side of a backwards message:] reverse it and you get : "Congratulations, You have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to 'Old Pink', Care of the funny farm, Chalfont..." - Spoken By Roger [...interrupted...] "Roger, Caroline's on the phone..." - Unknown Voice.

I'll review the film version with other Spare Bricks from the album.

Young Lust - one of Julie's favorite Floyd songs. The natural successor to the Nile Song. Intended as the ultimate Cock Rock and it lands. Dave is on fire. Vocals, guitar and bass. The phone call at the end is real, the operator did not know it was a set up. She was the second operator recorded.

One of my Turns - underrated song. I also love the lines... "Cold as a razor[ blade, /b] tight as a tourniquet, dry as a funeral drum." Dave has a great guitar solo. His favorite axe gets a mention, Eugene?

Don't Leave Me Now - while I don't like the first 3 minutes 6 seconds of the song, what Floyd is doing is fascinating. Read here in composition.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t ... loyd_song)
I do love the part where Dave starts singing at 3:06.

Another Brick in the Wall (part three) - love the energy. Love the lyrics. "I don't need no drugs to calm me"

Goodbye Cruel World - I believe it's the only Floyd song featuring just Roger and Rick. Roger's bass playing is a slowed down version of See Emily Play and Careful With that Axe Eugene. Perfect way to end Record One.

Record two later today.

This Half Null Rating - 8.4 out 10
Last edited by sgt.null on Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Some mother's :D

1980: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73UMWoXRbjg

2018 Roger Waters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe3qX1snCag

My fav, that Sgt linked recently - Roger Waters 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lCFaSL9aSE
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

So, The Wall album was followed by The Wall movie:

Which I have seen a few times, but not for quite a while. I remember being impressed, but I'm interested if anyone else has any comments.

I've always loved the "Pink Floyd the Wall" writing, there's something about it that is extremely pleasing to my eye.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I have surgery today. I will post part two soon.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Pocket Worthy - Stories to fuel your mind

Why Nick Mason finally went solo: rollingstone.com

“If you want to hear ‘Money’ and ‘Comfortably Numb,’
you’re better off with Roger, David, and the Australian Pink Floyd Show.”
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Stevie - I had thought I posted all if the Wall. Sorry, I'll finish tonight.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

o-ka-ka-khackus
sgt.null wrote:I have surgery today. I will post part two soon.
sgt.null wrote:Stevie - I had thought I posted all if the Wall. Sorry, I'll finish tonight.
Be glad to hear it. :biggrin:
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

sgt.null wrote:Stevie - I had thought I posted all if the Wall. Sorry, I'll finish tonight.
Haha, no worries! I am slowly going through the Final Cut review at the moment. Looking forward to your Wall part 2.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

I actually bought The Wall a few weeks ago - because of this thread - though it's still sitting on the shelf with a dozen or so other CD's still in their wrapper. I'm not too hung up on listening to the stereo, prefering instead to produce my own music.

But, many years back, when I had a decent guitar rig, I downloaded 'Money' and picked out the Gilmour leads, note for note. It was a lot of fun. It uses fairly easy to play pentatonics, A-minor I think, with an accentuated funk ryhthm on the plectrum. And it must be played on a well balanced 21 fret guitar, or hitting that note on the very top bend will be missed.

On the other hand, 'Comfortably Numb' is not so easy. Although it uses most of the same pentatonic patterns - almost note for note actually, though in a differant key - it is however played a helluva lot slicker. It is interesting to feel how Dave Gilmour's guitar technique had developed over the intervening years.

I never completed 'Comfortably Numb'. There's probably a modal scale in there somewhere and I would've needed to work that out with pen and paper. Besides, I didn't have the right guitar rig to capture The Wall dynamics - I'm just not that good a guitarist!

Anyway, I got hold of The Wall more to listen to Nick Mason's drums. I've been trying to use E-durms with my computer music and I've always liked his straight forward subdued approach ...
But computers can be frustrating to say the least. My onboard VST-mixer has been monofied and for the life of me I can't find the mono/stereo settings to switch it back to stereo. So no panning effects for me at the moment. It seems that computing is forever to be a continuing learning curve.

All good fun!
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Record Two

Hey You - I love that Dave takes the first verse in the first person. Roger does the rest in the third person. Dave plays fretless bass, acoustic and electric guitars. His middle solo is amazing, building as it does. In the middle Rick plays the distinctive ping from Echoes. Nice touch. The composition of the song is worth reading about.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_You ... loyd_song)
Both this song and The Show Must Go On are not in the film.

Null Rating : 10 out of 10

Is There Anybody Out There - we get the damn birds from Echoes. Dave was unhappy with his attempts at the finger picking acoustic. So who we hear is session player Joe DiBlasi. This should have been dropped for The Show Must Go On in the movie.

Null Rating : 5 out of 10.

Nobody Home - the last song written for the album. Dave says it's one of his favorites. There is no guitar. Dave plays bass. Bob Ezrin is on piano. The Hendrix perm is about Syd. But I got nicotine stains on my fingers. I got a silver spoon on a chain. Got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains. Is in reference to Rick's cocaine problem. Terribly overlooked song. Love the lines, Got A Strong Urge to Fly, but I've gof Nowhere to Fly to.

Null Rating : 10 out of 10.

Vera - this song and the next mean a lot to Roger. He played them of course in the two Wall shows we saw, but in the two non Wall shows we saw as well. The lyrics are reference to Vera Lynn's WWII song, We'll Meet Again. I can tell you I choked up during these two songs all four times we saw them live. Both David and Roger are on acoustic guitar.

Bring the Boys Back Home - "Bring the boys back home / Don't leave the children on their own". That's Jeff Porcaro [of Toto] on snare drum joined by 35 other snare drummers along with the NY Opera as the choir and the NY Orchestra on strings. When Roger brought the Wall back on the backround screen during this song was a quote from President Dwight D. Eisenhower: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Comfortably Numb - only this and Mother don't segue out from another song or into another song. It was originally an instrumental David considered for his first solo album. I'll be dedicating an entire post to various versions of the song. Again we have a favorite of mine. Point / counterpoint of David and Roger singing different verses. Nick is awesome here as the song benefits from his playing slightly behind the beat. The song kind of lopes along. Matching the haziness of the lyrics. And the lyrics are really strong. "The child is grown. The dream is gone." Dave is all over the song playing lead and harmony vocals (chorus), acoustic guitar, electric guitar, pedal steel guitar, 2nd bass guitar, Prophet-5 synthesiser.

Null Rating : 10 out of 10. [And this isn't even the best version.]

The Show Must Go On - the only song Roger does neither vocals or instruments for. Roger wanted a Beach Boys feel. So he got Bruce Johnston of said group in to help create it. The Beach Boys backed out as a group, but Bruce stayed on as one of the back ground vocalists. Toni Tennille of the Captain and Tennille is also on background vocals. There were more lyricals that got dropped. I do love "am I too old. Is it too late." Read about the lyrics here... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sho ... loyd_song)

Null Rating : 10 out of 10

In the Flesh - bombastic but in the right way. Dave is hammering those power chords. The lyrics take a dark turn. But you can't help but sing along. Bonus info - I sang this by request to my inmates in the kitchen one day. I was hoarse. But that helped.

Run Like Hell - one of Julie's favorite Floyd songs. Another song that started from Gilmour's first solo. The guitars are amazing. Dave gave us a driving riff that is helped propelled by Roger's lyrics. Strong lyrics here. Another you can't help but sing along to. We have Rick's only keyboard solo. And towards the end Roger does the Eugene scream.

Waiting for the Worms - damn Roger makes facism sound catchy. The song has a great rhythmic feel. Again Roger and Dave swap off vocals to great effect. How Roger got Dave to sing his part, with those lyrics. Dave does the guitars and bass. The "Stop!" out the end is perfect.

Stop - not really a song, just a transition. Roger on vocals, Ezrin on piano. But it is effective. And I sing it work all the time.

The Trial - Clare Torry is on background vocals. It's not my favorite song on the album. I find myself wishing Roger had concluded it differently. I find it works better in the film than on the album. It is well put together however.

Null Rating : 7 out of 10.

Outside the Wall - "Some mad buggers Wall" perfect ending, linking it to the beginning.

Null Rating : 8 out of 10.

This Half Null Rating - 9.2 out of 10.

The Wall Total Null Rating - 8.8 out of 10.
Last edited by sgt.null on Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Comfortably Numb - only this and Mother do segue out from another song or into another song. It was originally an instrumental David considered for his first solo album. I'll be dedicating an entire post to various versions of the song. Again we have a favorite of mine. Point / counterpoint of David and Roger singing different verses. Nick is awesome here as the song benefits from his playing slightly behind the beat. The song kind of lopes along. Matching the haziness of the lyrics. And the lyrics are really strong. "The child is grown. The dream is gone." Dave is all over the song playing lead and harmony vocals (chorus), acoustic guitar, electric guitar, pedal steel guitar, 2nd bass guitar, Prophet-5 synthesiser.

Null Rating : 10 out of 10. [And this isn't even the best version.]

Well worth the wait.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Some Wall demos and other

The Show [In the Flesh?] Demo
https://youtu.be/p6suXfi5mlw

The Thin Ice demo
https://youtu.be/27zIyOnFRsw

Another Brick in the Wall demo
https://youtu.be/bfDuBlp6ebc

Teacher. Teacher [Heroes Return on the Final Cut]
https://youtu.be/K754xz7QbHQ

Mother demo
https://youtu.be/eJ1MSiXhJ5Y

Mother film version
https://youtu.be/VPtBz5QP9NM

Empty Spaces [demo]
https://youtu.be/uJINbmU2wkY

Empty Spaces [movie version]
https://youtu.be/ARXKvVeVtXg

Young Lust demo
https://youtu.be/HHVDbmgtbbQ

When the Tigers Broke Free [in film, not album]
https://youtu.be/l9b9UhFe6Eg

One of my Turns demo
https://youtu.be/azk-g0Pno3A

Drugs [ Another_Brick_in_the_Wall III]
https://youtu.be/ck4_BIee0Zg
Last edited by sgt.null on Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Hey You demo
https://youtu.be/kvgzB9g-Nj8

Is There Anybody Out There I
https://youtu.be/HugJ8XJsdnI

Is There Anybody Out There II
https://youtu.be/Y2LvDKyLf0Y

Is There Anybody Out There III
https://youtu.be/iOGTgtKD8sg

Who's Sorry Now / It's Never Too Late [The Show Must Go On]
https://youtu.be/NMDFL66Xd9w

The Show [On the Flesh]
https://youtu.be/Mj4nEOXQnkM

Short and Sweet - Gilmour [inspiration for Run Like Hell)
https://youtu.be/M9fJQ7Bo8hc

Run like Hell demo
https://youtu.be/qacfLpmGTlk

The Trial demo
https://youtu.be/Bz-3LENIvUg
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

That was a great review, thanks. Some of those demos are really interesting, with completely different lyrics.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

StevieG wrote:That was a great review, thanks. Some of those demos are really interesting, with completely different lyrics.
Thanks. I want to hear the demos for the Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking that Floyd turned down.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Vespers”