The One Tree, Chapter 18-Surrender by srtrout

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

danlo
Lord

The One Tree, Chapter 18-Surrender by srtrout

Post by danlo »

Surrender
The chapter starts in darkness, and thus other senses are required to provide the narrative:
She awoke in a dark dank, tugged step after step toward consciousness by the dull rhythmic repetition of a grunt of strain, a clash of metal.

Senses are not only intensified by darkness but also by the portrayal of Lindens heightened health sense.
She can feel the prison around her: finished rock surrounded her, then faded into an immense impending weight.
She can smell the faint sick smell of blood... the blood of hustin and soldiers.
She can sense her companions: Honninscraves aura was a knurling of anger and resolve, Vains darkness was harder than any granite, more rigid than any annealed metal, she senses Pitchwife as injured but not mortally so.

She contemplates their failure and then suddenly realizes that she cannot sense Covenant at all. Now she believes all is totally lost.
She had failed at everything.. Her deliberate efforts to make Kaseryn unsure of himself to aggravate the implicit trust between the ghaddi and his Kemper had come to ruin.

The companions contemplate their fate;. There is a discussion of their plight with The First and Honninscrave. Although Covenant is gone, presumably all is not yet lost in that Kemper has not yet disposed of them.

Another surprise visit, now from the drunken Rant Absolain. The charade of his leadership is over; he is obviously just a puppet of Kaseryn. His opening of the door illuminates the cell, and they can see Covenant has been there all along, invisible to all of their senses save their vision.

Linden is dismayed to see Kaseryns gold band around Covenants neck; he is now just Kaseryns puppet as well. His eyes are open but sightless; Kaseryn torments her by having Covenant mindlessly kiss her. This is the embodiment of Lindens worst fear: to be totally possessed and controlled by evil. She believed this to be her fathers fate, and believed as well it to be her own fate when she killed her mother.
Spoiler
And of course, she will eventually succumb to this fear entirely when possessed by the Raver in Kiril Threndor.

There is a moment of respite when Honninscrave incredibly breaks his chains and slays Kaseryn. This is but a temporary victory, perhaps similar to the battle of The Pelenoor Fields (LOTR) or the defeat of the first assault of the Machines in The Matrix Revolution. A crucial victory won by courage and sacrifice, but only allowing for the arrival of the next onslaught, as Kaseryn promptly resurrects himself and promises a hideous death for Honninscrave.

Kaseryn commands Linden to possess Covenant and to thus compel him to hand over the white gold. Linden finally appears to comply. As with her other decisions, her companions doubt her intentions, especially the Haruchai and Findail (making his usual surprise entrance).

The gold band around Covenants neck is removed by Kaseryn, and she enters Covenants mind. Unlike previous attempts, this time she abandons herself completely; leaving behind her medical training, her fears, and her past. Thus she and Covenant meet as children, not yet encumbered by the venoms of their futures, and she has just enough time to give him the idea that she sees as the key to their release.

There is no time for action; as soon as Covenant is conscious Kaseryn will possess him and thus control the white gold.

There is only time for a single word; a word whose consequences can free them, free the people of Bhrathairealm, and keep their purpose alive.

Nom.

(I dare you to say it out loud! )

Commentary: This is an incredible chapter, both in its wordsmithing and in the story it tells. We can easily perceive the scene without the use of visual description as SRD uses other senses so vividly. We share their sense of despair; shackled by chains and by magic; their hero totally subdued; their enemy impervious even to a fatal blow.

Many themes of previous narrative come together here; Lindens fear of possession; the weird predictions and plans of the Elohim as they protected Covenant from penetration; the failure of tyrants to ultimately control their people and their environment; the ability of arcane creatures to respond to a summons from a great distance.

I would suspect that most of us were surprised at our first reading of the end of this chapter; Nom was a great idea and certainly beat just having TC use the white gold or having the cavalry miraculously appear!

srtrout
fall far and well Pilots!
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

I found Honninscrave's constant clashing of his chains, when perceived through Linden's senses, hard to take--it seemed an extravagant self-injurious futility (anyway until the moment when one ripped free from the stone and became a deadly weapon against Kasreyn, for all the difference the croyel would let it make :-x ). Brinn's reaction to Honninscrave's behavior is a fresh demonstration of how similar the Giants and Haruchai truly are at core, despite the fact that the former are demonstrative about it and the latter usually are not:
Brinn was bound against another wall, opposite the First. His abstract rigidity suggested to Linden that he had made the same attempt Honninscrave was making--and had judged it to be folly. Yet his native extravagance responded to what the Master was doing.
Apparently the promises Linden has been making to herself throughout the ordeal in Bhrathairealm have been promises to stop avoiding using her percipience on Covenant. She's quit looking for other answers to his need--although that need is different now than it was back on Starfare's Gem--and has given up trying to protect her fears, moral or otherwise.
In a rush like an outpouring of ecstasy or loss, rage or grief, she surrendered herself to his emptiness.
Now she took no account of the passion with which she entered him. And she offered no resistance as she was swept into the long gulf. She saw that her former failures had been caused by her attempts to bend him to her own will, her own use [yes, this is what constitutes the evil of possession, not simply the percipient access to another's being!]; but now she wanted nothing for herself, withheld nothing. Abandoning herself entirely, she fell like a dying star into the blankness behind which the Elohim had hidden his soul.
srtrout wrote:Thus she and Covenant meet as children, not yet encumbered by the venoms of their futures, and she has just enough time to give him the idea that she sees as the key to their release.
Linden's implanting the NAME as she takes the silence from Covenant is a sort of closing parenthesis to Infelice's unlocking of the knowledge Caer-Caveral had hidden, in the same act in which the silence was imposed.

The two brief paragraphs in which Linden and Covenant meet as children, in depths of mind innocent of boundaries and untouched by their dire histories, are among the most rendingly moving passages in the mythos--and (or is that "therefore"?) I had scarcely remembered them at all.
...She felt the layers of her independent self being stripped away. Severity and training and medical school were gone, leaving her fifteen and loss-ridden, unable at that time to conceive of any answer to her mother's death. Grief and guilt and her mother were gone, so that she seemed to contain nothing except the cold unexpungeable horror and accusation of her father's suicide. Then even suicide was gone, and she stood under a clean sun in fields and flowers, full of a child's capacity for happiness, joy, love. She could have fallen that way forever.
The sunlight spread its wings about her, and the wind ruffled her hair like a hand of affection. She shouted in pleasure. And her shout was answered. A boy came to her across the fields. He was older than she--he seemed much older, though he was still only a boy, and the Covenant he would become was nothing more than an implication in the lines of his face, the fire of his eyes. He approached her with a shy half-smile. His hands were open and whole and accessible. Caught in a whirl of instinctive exaltation, she ran toward him with her arms wide, yearning for the embrace which would transform her.
Spoiler
That last phrase is a foreshadowing of the embrace between Vain and Findail which will transform the entire Land.
But when she touched him, the gap was bridged, and his emptiness flooded into her....Behind what she saw and heard, she wailed like a foretaste of her coming life. She was a child in a field of flowers, and the older boy she had adored had left her. The love had gone out of the sunlight [this could also be a description of the Sunbane], leaving the day bereft as if all joy were dead.
With everything we've been through and remembered along with these characters, a time before leprosy or the despite of the parents had become as unimaginable to us readers as it felt to the adult characters. Suddenly to see it--and then to lose it--!
Spoiler
And this is only the beginning of the pain, for while she's in the silence Linden will have to live forward from this point and recapitulate her parents' deaths--to her own voiceless anguish but to the near-mortal cost of those around her in present life.
I've said too much, I guess. Given the voltage of this chapter I couldn't hold back.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Having TC say the name of a Sandgorgon is the most shocking moment in the entire Chronicles.
Spoiler
Why was LA so certain that TC could survive and master it?
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

Well, dlbpharmd,
Spoiler
she has had a health-sense view of the entire growth of his power under the various exposures to venom. When he was in that caul on Starfare's Gem, he could if provoked have sunk the ship in pieces. I think she took a diagnostically informed guess that his power sufficed, and a leap of moral faith that his strength of will sufficed.

Just my :2c:.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

First of all srtrout did a fine job condensing his own dissection of one of the most vivid chapters of the whole series. Did it a lot more briefly than I or Fist could've done... but we've all our own style. Good one on srtrout.

Durris, your insights are wonderful and bear more scrutiny...if I may.
I found Honninscrave's constant clashing of his chains, when perceived through Linden's senses, hard to take--it seemed an extravagant self-injurious futility (anyway until the moment when one ripped free from the stone and became a deadly weapon against Kasreyn, for all the difference the croyel would let it make ). Brinn's reaction to Honninscrave's behavior is a fresh demonstration of how similar the Giants and Haruchai truly are at core, despite the fact that the former are demonstrative about it and the latter usually are not:
True, but try now to imagine Brinn's reaction when Honninscrave did break the chain. He succeeded where Brinn failed or gave up
"...judged it to be folly"
. From what we know (and love) about the Haruchai they do not expect failure. Am wondering if there were some deep thoughts/feelings in the Haruchai afterwards on this. Perhaps one of the deciding factors however small ...
Spoiler
of the Haruchai's ending of service to TC after the Merewives

I related to Honninscrave's efforts, painful to him as they may be. Think about the freedom that Giants have always known, think about the love that he has for his ship and crew. Think also of the pain that he must be feeling and yearning to express because of the helplessness he has for his brother. It must be indeed great because beyond this scene
Spoiler
he continues to try and find ways to express it
Durris wrote
She saw that her former failures had been caused by her attempts to bend him to her own will, her own use [yes, this is what constitutes the evil of possession, not simply the percipient access to another's being!]; but now she wanted nothing for herself, withheld nothing.
My first thought was this is what the old man back on Haven Farm meant when he said: "Ah, my daughter, do not fear, you will not fail however he may assail you. There is love also in the world. Be true."
Whether or not Linden realizes it at the moment she just found out the true meaning of the word Love.
but now she wanted nothing for herself, withheld nothing
I love srtrout's insight when made the comparisons
srtrout wrote:
Thus she and Covenant meet as children, not yet encumbered by the venoms of their futures, and she has just enough time to give him the idea that she sees as the key to their release.
to the Venoms in Covenant and Linden. Guilt.

Right on Durris with this insight :
The love had gone out of the sunlight [this could also be a description of the Sunbane], leaving the day bereft as if all joy were dead.
very good insight, great comparison.
Seems that SRD is wanting Linden to learn more about herself and how she can/will help in the days ahead because not only is her percipience is going to help but her experiences and the lessons learned will contribute.
With everything we've been through and remembered along with these characters, a time before leprosy or the despite of the parents had become as unimaginable to us readers as it felt to the adult characters. Suddenly to see it--and then to lose it--!
Spoiler
And this is only the beginning of the pain, for while she's in the silence Linden will have to live forward from this point and recapitulate her parents' deaths--to her own voiceless anguish but to the near-mortal cost of those around her in present life.
Yes but it's what I've always felt that's what life is all about. Growth and pains and learning from them... along with the joys and happiness that can be found along the way.

I've got more but that'll wait.
Good job srtrout and Durris.

NOM!
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Another day, another dungeon for Linden Avery. Not having much luck as a tourist, is she? Whether it's Revelstone or the Sandhold, there's a cell somewhere with her name on it.

Yet through it all, she stubbornly goes on, like Covenant. They have each other, and that's what matters. So I can imagine the depth of panic Linden feels at not being able to locate Covenant in the cell:
Her senses clawed the dark in all directions, searching manically. But she discovered no glimmer of pulse or tremor of breath which might have been the Unbeliever.
What a picture, her senses "clawing" the dark like some desperate animal.

Rant Absolain: another puppet dictator goes away unloved and un-mourned. If only poetic justice could be meted out to the real despots in our world, instead of them hiding behind things like “diplomatic immunity.”

The Kemper: how creepy is it when Kasreyn rises from the dead? Very. When a GIANT cracks an iron chain at you, smashing every bone in your bloody neck, you’re supposed to die and stay dead. Sheesh. Darned, party-pooping croyel. Maybe if Honninscrave had struck at the right angle, he could have taken Kasreyn’s head clean off. :twisted:
Seafoam wrote:try now to imagine Brinn's reaction when Honninscrave did break the chain. He succeeded where Brinn failed or gave up
"...judged it to be folly."

From what we know (and love) about the Haruchai they do not expect failure. Am wondering if there were some deep thoughts/feelings in the Haruchai afterwards on this.
I thought Brinn simply meant that it was folly for a Haruchai, not necessarily for a Giant. Maybe I've misunderstood. Or maybe Brinn did judge accurately that not even a Giant could break the chains; he just didn't take into account how monumentally ticked off Honninscrave was. Like the passage said, he ripped the chain from its bracket "with impossible strength." Now who could have predicted that?
dlbpharmd wrote:Having TC say the name of a Sandgorgon is the most shocking moment in the entire Chronicles.
Yes, sir! It's wonderful the way SRD builds up to that moment. It must have been satisfying for him to know he had constructed such a cliffhanger of an ending. He knew it would be the kind of surprise to put his readers in a state of awe. (Shock and awe? Never mind, Mr. Rumsfeld.) :)

I can think of one other time previously in the Chronicles when something uttered carried so much import: in The Illearth War, when one of the Bloodguard (Morin?) discloses the name of the power of Kevin’s Seventh Ward—“The Power of Command.” Okay, it’s not a word, it’s a password. Anyway, it led like clockwork to the death of Morin and High Lord Elena. Of course, we didn’t know that beforehand. But we know exactly the consequences of saying “Nom.” Words are dangerous around here…
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

dlbpharmd wrote:Having TC say the name of a Sandgorgon is the most shocking moment in the entire Chronicles.

Yes, ABSOLUTELY the best surprise ending of any chapter in the Chronicles! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Pretty much everyone loves it... so fitting.

And though it sure surprised me, I felt like I should facepalm and go, "why didn't I see that?!"
...like when the "whodunnit" is revealed in a mystery and you're like, "oh, of COURSE! All the clues were pointing to this!"
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Well said, Linna! :D

Return to “2nd Chronicles”