Haka

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Haruchai
Giantfriend

Haka

Post by Haruchai »

Wasn't really sure where to put this, so I thought I would put it here.
Anyway, I was watching the Haka the other night (All Blacks VS England), and I was thinking, I wonder if the Haruchai did anything like that? I can just imagine them doing the Haka before they go into battle, lol.

Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
:lol:
Any thoughts? :)
"I see you keep a bee" - Danny Bhoy

"I'll move on when I'm ready to" - Reservoir Dogs

"Their pheremones fizzled like ice cream and lemonade" - Harvie Krumpet
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Wish I knew what you were talking about.....

:lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Haruchai
Giantfriend

Post by Haruchai »

OK. The Haka is a Maori Battle Cry/War Dance. The Maori are the Indigenous people of New Zealand. The All Blacks (NZ footy team) perform it before any of their games.
Info on Haka: www.haka.co.nz/haka.php
I'll try and find an online video fo it.

michaelcov
Stonedownor

Post by michaelcov »

I dont belive the Haruchai or the Bloodguard who served the Lords would have felt the need to impress or scare there enemies. Although the haka is impressive to you and me, I think the Bloodguard would have found it quite silly.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

There may be some spiritual/emotional/intellectual or even social aspects of haka that relate to the Haruchai however. The Maori are a very social people, the concept of whanau, or family, being far more important that the concept of self, whcih was really introduced by the Tauiwi (European settlers). This my be similar to how, in White Gold Wielder, Covenant notices that Cail is more comfortable when he is back among his own people.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, I can't see them doing anything like that for the sake of others, but maybe for themselves.

And Cail's solitude is the reason he's my favorite Haruchai of all. :)
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Gah! I still have nightmares about the haka, and it has nothing to do with being intimidated by the rugby team. I lived in New Zealand for a couple of years when I was a kid, and once a week we would all do the haka at the beginning of P.E. class. All the other kids had been taught it from the beginning of their schooling and although I obviously wouldn't have known it, the teachers left me to my own devices. After a couple of months of public humiliation I did learn most of it, although I doubt any of my words were correct.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
kaseryn
Bloodguard in Disguise

Post by kaseryn »

The Haka is cool. I love it in the rugby wc when u get all the other islanders with their Hakas too :)
Haruchai
Giantfriend

Post by Haruchai »

Yeah, my friend said that the Zulu warriors were chasing the All Blacks. :lol:

Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

I imagine the Haruchai had a rich ceremonial life--conducted primarily in telepathy and therefore not seen or heard by flatlanders, with the exception of the large-scale ritual combats seen in Gilden-Fire and WGW.

Ritual intimidation of enemies would seem redundant to how they did things, imho; even in LFB, Bannor is described as being casual and matter-of-fact in manner during his lethal exploits under Kiril Threndor.
Variol Son wrote:The Maori are a very social people, the concept of whanau, or family, being far more important that the concept of self, whcih was really introduced by the Tauiwi (European settlers). This my be similar to how, in White Gold Wielder, Covenant notices that Cail is more comfortable when he is back among his own people.
I too have been struck by the communality of Haruchai identity--which had both salutary and dangerous consequences. It caused the ending of the Vow because there was no way to perceive the corruption of Korik, Sill, and Doar as affecting only the three of them rather than defining the character of all Bloodguard. But much later, it also made Brinn's victory over ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol into a victory for all Haruchai of all times.

Cail must have found the telepathic silence absolutely deafening during that period of solitude.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Durris wrote:I imagine the Haruchai had a rich ceremonial life--conducted primarily in telepathy and therefore not seen or heard by flatlanders, with the exception of the large-scale ritual combats seen in Gilden-Fire and WGW.

Ritual intimidation of enemies would seem redundant to how they did things, imho; even in LFB, Bannor is described as being casual and matter-of-fact in manner during his lethal exploits under Kiril Threndor.
Exactly. From Gates of Fire:
The enemy's numbers totalled half again that of the Spartans'. It was not enough and the foe knew it.

Now the clamor began.

Among the enemy's ranks, the bravest (or perhaps the most fear-stricken) began banging the ash of their spear shafts upon the bronze bowls of their shields, creating a tumult of pseudoandreia which reverberated across and around the mountain-enclosed plain. Others reinforced this racket with the warlike thrusting of their spearpoints to heaven and the loosing of cries to the gods and shouts of threat and anger. The roar multiplied threefold, then five, and ten, as the enemy rear ranks and flankers picked the clamor up and contributed their own bluster and bronze-banging. Soon the entire fifty-four hundred were bellowing the war cry. Their commander thrust his spear forward and the mass surged behind him into the advance.

The Spartans had neither moved nor made a sound.

They waited patiently in their scarlet-cloaked ranks, neither grim nor rigid, but speaking quietly to each other words of encouragement and cheer, securing the final preparation for actions they had rehearsed hundreds of times in training and performed dozens and scores more in battle.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”