Russell Crowe is no TC

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

danlo wrote:
Iryssa wrote:just so long as no one gets the hairbrained idea to desecrate the movie by bringing the Olsen twins in for the part. *grin*
I know! Hillary Duff! :P
Linsday Lohan...
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Ninquelote
Ramen

Post by Ninquelote »

I want Loreena Mckennitt to sing in the score. She has one of the most beautiful voices, and I wanted her replace Annie Lennox in the return of the king. Loreena just has that mysterious and imaginative voice. She would be perfect.
My God, it's full of stars!
-Dave Bowman
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Ninquelote wrote:I want Loreena Mckennitt to sing in the score. She has one of the most beautiful voices, and I wanted her replace Annie Lennox in the return of the king. Loreena just has that mysterious and imaginative voice. She would be perfect.
Perfect coice. She was my first candidate for the _whole_ LOTR score, not just some singing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!! I ALWAYS think about the Land when I hear her music now...*sigh* she has SUCH a beautiful voice. And absolutely, she should have done Lord of the Rings!!
ok, done with my outburst...*grin*
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
Ninquelote
Ramen

Post by Ninquelote »

:D

When I read the first trilogy one or two years ago (can't remember), I always listened to Stolen Child, Standing Stones, The Book of Secrets, The Highwayman, Night Ride Across the Caucasus and beautiful Skellig (which give rise to this mysterious feeling in you, and which I think is most connected to the land). When I listen to the music now, I can't help thinking about Andelain, the miserable extermination of the giants (which I think is the most tear-jerking part in the whole chronicle), Mhoram, the beautiful landscape I've pictured and not to forget the power in every stone and grass straw...

It's so perfect to listen her music while reading the chron. You become so poetic :D

Listen to the songs!
-Dave Bowman
zenslinger
Servant of the Land

Post by zenslinger »

I think the Haruchai could have what you might call a pan-Asiatic look that could even include Native American features. Just not too extreme -- I think you could put Chow Yun Fat, Wes Studi and some European actors together and if you made them up to have similar skin-tones, they'd look right.

As for how you'd have them move -- well, a lot of their impression comes from when they're not fighting. The fighting you could do some variations on kung-fu themes so that it would be martial arty without being explicitly like a kung-fu movie. You'd have to do a lot of reasearch and testing shooting on how exactly you'd shoot them. A lot of their fighting comes in battle scenes where a lot of others are fighting, so it wouldn't have to be like kung-fu movie style shooting in which the camera is revolving around the main practitioner.

A big challenge there.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I personally did not picture the Haruchai in my mind as an Oriental race. That's just too specific for me. SRD's descriptions of the Haruchai left enough room for my own imagination. My view is probably in the minority here, but that's all right.

Of course, it's possible that SRD had an Asian people in mind all along when he created the Haruchai, and I just didn't get it. But until he says so, I've got my own mind.

As for the imaginary movie, I can see the imaginary filmmakers getting into arguments over what politically correct ethnic group should portray the Haruchai. :roll:
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Matrixman wrote:I personally did not picture the Haruchai in my mind as an Oriental race. That's just too specific for me. SRD's descriptions of the Haruchai left enough room for my own imagination. My view is probably in the minority here, but that's all right.

Of course, it's possible that SRD had an Asian people in mind all along when he created the Haruchai, and I just didn't get it. But until he says so, I've got my own mind.

As for the imaginary movie, I can see the imaginary filmmakers getting into arguments over what politically correct ethnic group should portray the Haruchai. :roll:
me neither matrix man .. I too have never pictured the haruchai as oriental ..

to me Tu'uc (from Stargate) would make a brilliant depiction of a haruchai imo ..

be cool to see the kind of haruchai Donaldson envisions ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling ๐Ÿ˜Š :D ๐Ÿ˜Š

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Ninquelote
Ramen

Post by Ninquelote »

Skyweir: can you show us a pic of this tu'uc? :)
-Dave Bowman
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

dANdeLION wrote:It should be done as an animated film, with Sean Connery as the voice of Mhoram, and James Earl Jones as Foul.
Totally agree with this. Remember that Foul is only really seen as a non-corporeal presence with glaring red eyes. (Except there at the end of the Power that Preserves) Every time I read Lord Fouls Bane, at the end when they wrest the staff from Drool the Despiser is laughing at Mhoram. When I read that I hear James Earl Jones voice doing the laughing.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Ninquelote wrote:Skyweir: can you show us a pic of this tu'uc? :)
I will make it my mission!! ;) LOL

let me see if i cant find one on the net and put it in one of the galleries!

If you have ever watched STARGATE ... he's like the alien Jafar guy .. he comes without the ability we share for luxuriates in emotions like "excitement" "fear" "jovial hysteria" etc..

in my mind he is BAnnor .. well if not BAnnor a very close second.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

perfect amy!!!!!!!!!!!!

brilliant!!!!!!!
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

yeah I agree.. only without that THING on his forehead.. hee hee :lol: But then you'd have to teach him some serious Martial Arts. Too bad Bruce Lee isn't around... he had a knack for creating a whole new style.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

His name is Teal'c, played by Christopher Judge.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
markjeffrey
Woodhelvennin

Post by markjeffrey »

Is that the Mercedes logo on his forehead?
When you're done with 'Runes' :) ... check out www.pocketandpendant.com ... like a small, minty refreshment after the Main Course has been served!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Dragonlily wrote:His name is Teal'c, played by Christopher Judge.
thank you dragonlily .. I was sure I didnt spell it right :oops: LOL .. yeah and he is awesome!!

and sure if he was playing bannor he wouldn't have the thing on his head unless haruchai were to have thingies on their heads .. LOL

it will come off ya know ;) he werent born wiv it anatomically attached or anyfing :P
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Skyweir, I agree with your choice of Mr. Christopher Judge. He has the look that is close to the kind of Haruchai I envision in my mind. He would make an excellent Bannor indeed!

I just don't know about his acting abilities, since I don't watch the Stargate television series. (Dodges hate mail in bullet time...)
ur-Thor
Stonedownor

Post by ur-Thor »

Ah ha! I knew that there must have been some mention of Christopher Judge's character Teal'C from the Stargate sg1 series in here somewhere. even though I've always imagined a more Asian ethnicity, the resemblance of that character to that of a Haruchai is pretty strong, even the actors physical presence works, except for the obvious fact that he's quite tall.

Last edited by ur-Thor on Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

The Haruchai always struck me as Maori minus the Tatooing.

Your picture isn't showing up.
B&

Return to โ€œThe First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenantโ€