A little rant

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

A little rant

Post by Sevothtarte »

Santana. I can't stand it. "He's so great!" Crap!

Ok, he's a world-class guitar player, agreed. Not that I know anything about guitar playing and could really tell, but I'll take it for granted. But I can't stand people proclaiming 'his songs' are that great.

I loved Smooth. Some others from the Supernatural album were very good, too. The game of love is great. But he didn't write them, he just plays one instrument, goddamnit! Rob Thomas (Smooth), Michelle Branch (The game of love), Wycleaf Jean (Maria Maria) and so on - they deserve the praise, these are their songs. Hail Santana for being a kickas guitar player, but stop giving him credit for other people's work!

Thanks for reading. :)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I agree with you, Sev. I enjoyed listening to Santana in my mom's 8-track player, and the stuff he's put out is alright, but dammit Jim, he's only human.

Santana gets public cred for the following reasons:
1. he's good
2. he's been around for a long time
3. he's hispanic, y "flava" latina es mucho grande tiempo. mierde. maybe in ten years we'll see Yo-Yo Ma accepting his grammy with Coldplay.

I'm constantly reminded of the bit in Being John Malkovich where suddenly everybody's into puppetry.[/i]
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

Rob Thomas...mmmmmmmm....there's a guy....who can sing....
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Yes, Santana is human, but Eric Clapton, though . . .
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008

Return to “Vespers”