I'm Looking for your Literary Recommendations

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Yes, without Tolkien, fantasy as we know it today would be very different. However, it would still exist. Fantasy, after all, had existed long before the Hobbitwas published.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

I happen to think Tolkien is still the undefeated master of fantasy

I totally agree. I think LOTR, like the Chrons, is something you have to read more than once to really appreciate. The first time I read it, I loved the story, but I found very little emotional investiture in the characters. And unfortunately, that impression sticks with me still. Very little of the story is told through the actual eyes of the characters. It's "Frodo was very tired from walking such a long way" and "Aragorn really loved Arwen daughter of Elrond". Tolkien is a very stereotypical Brit in his understatement of emotion. But, like a stereotypical Brit, that doesn't mean the emotion is not there. Every time I read it again, I find myself more and more sympathetic to the characters. More able to read between the lines and see their feelings, and how their actions are motivated by them.
For example: Frodo decides to leave the fellowship, not on a whim, or because he wanted to be a hero, or even because it makes for a better story, but because he cared deeply about his friends. Boromir was his friend. He saved Frodo's life more than once, and Frodo saw what the Ring did to him. He couldn't bear the thought that the same thing might happen to the rest of his friends. So he left. Even though the thought of walking into Mordor alone terrified him, and he knew his friends would be hurt by his abandonment. Even though doing so tore him apart.
Frodo is the bravest character I've ever read about, followed closely by
Sam.

I am obviously very passionate about the Lord of the Rings. :lol:
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Nerdanel.

I agree with you that the Silmarillion is a much more rewarding piece of work than LOTR. Takes time and lot of effort but worth it...

Where was Nom?

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the input Kastenesen. I've read the "His Dark Materials" trilogy and enjoyed it immensely. I'll have to add a few of your other recommendations to my reading list. If you could recommend just one book or series what would it be?

Damelon,

I just received "Gardens of the Moon"!!!!. I got so fed up waiting for Amazon that I ordered it through Alibris in March and was waiting to see who would send it first. I received it yesterday from Alibris so I cancelled the order through Amazon. I can't wait to dig in, I've heard so many excellent reviews!

Since last I checked in, I've read Pratchett's "Reaper Man" (very funny!) but then I went back and reread Lord Fouls Bane with the aid of Karen Wynn Fonstadt's "Atlas of the Land" (another of my recent purchases) and started Illearth War. I put them down when I received Attanasio's "Last Legends of Earth" which I haven't finished yet. After "Last Legends" I've got the new Erickson queued up but after that my dance card is open so keep those recommendations coming! 8)
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

8O BTW that was me!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Anonymous wrote:Damelon,

I just received "Gardens of the Moon"!!!!. I got so fed up waiting for Amazon that I ordered it through Alibris in March and was waiting to see who would send it first. I received it yesterday from Alibris so I cancelled the order through Amazon. I can't wait to dig in, I've heard so many excellent reviews!
Your post made me look the order up. Those sobs at Amazon cancelled my order for Gardens of the Moon :x
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Now that's a real kick in the nuts! First they make you wait three months and then it gets cancelled!?!? I'd go through Alibris...Seemed to work well for me. :?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Well Guest,

if I have to pick only one from the list I'd say Songmaster by OSC...then Alvin Maker...then Jack Vance...then David Feintuch...
Birinair
Servant of the Land

Post by Birinair »

I am a bit late with this topic, seeing as it started at xmas, I would however submit that suggesting titles is a bit too narrow for most here as they read more than the average bear. How about I suggest some authors

For humour :lol: try: Terry Pratchett and Tom Holt.
For SF 8) : Ian M Banks and John Meaney
For Fantasy: :gandalf: Arthurian legends look at Stephen Lawhead.
Ere oo's that toff, eave arf a brick at him
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Brinn

How was Gardens of the Moon?
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I'm about 350 pages in as we speak. Very different, very imaginative. There are alot of players so I'm still getting used to all the characters and the setting. It's grabbed my attention but I haven't been totally swept up as of yet. From what I've heard, the book really picks up in the second half and the sequels only get better from there.

Just a note: Today Amazon cancelled my order for Deadhouse Gates after about 6 months of waiting. Coincidently, Alibris just confirmed today that they have shipped a copy of same. The moral of the story...Use Alibris for these books...They've produced for me unlike Amazon.

Talk to soon Giantfriend.
GSG

Post by GSG »

Has anyone recommended "The Coldfire Trilogy" by C.S. Friedman? An incredible blend of Fantasy with just a touch of sci-fi. There's a darkness to it that reminds me of SRD. It isn't as harsh, but there's definitely some flavor to it.

Spoiler-free setup:

The human race is in the beginnings of a period of expansion beyond the solar system. Computer-piloted "Seedships" that contain large populations in suspended animation are launched into space. Programmed to find a hospitible world, one ship spends 10,000 years getting to the very edge of the galaxy before finding Erna. The ship lands and the population is woken up (an irreversable process) only to find that all of their technology is in the grip of some natural force they name The Fae. This force causes anything electrical or electromagneticly powered to fail, even many basic chemical reactions are blunted. But it turns out that The Fae can be harnessed and controlled and used like magic.

As our story begins, it is some 2000 years later and something of a civilisation has built up, primitive in some ways (no guns, electricity, and not much science) and advanced in others (people who can control the Fae can influence how crops grow, and... other things).

It is a really fantastic trilogy. Most of the reviews I've read make it sound like rote "Dungeons & Dragons"-type of yarn when it really isn't. There is plenty of angst in the two lead characters who are constantly put into positions where they have to question themselves and their own motives.

I wouldn't say it is as good as Covenant, but it is definitely enjoyable. The three books are "Black Sun Rising", "When True Night Falls", and "Crown of Shadows".
GSG

Post by GSG »

Another really really great and funny book is "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It is one of those books I've read about 15 times and still find myself cackling maniacally as I read it.

----------------------------

Incidentally, I have come to really loathe Amazon after multiple multiple mis-shipments, late shipments, and no shipments. The schmoes robbed me of $200 for a gift I was sending to my godmother in the hospital that never arrived (it took me two months to get a refund).

They've gotten so big with computers, apparel, DVDs, cookware, etc. that customer service has become a thing of the past. Just try finding their phone number on the website.

I haven't tried Albris, but I'd like to send a shout out to Powell's (powells.com) who are both cheaper and more reliable then Amazon.
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

GSG wrote:Has anyone recommended "The Coldfire Trilogy" by C.S. Friedman? An incredible blend of Fantasy with just a touch of sci-fi. There's a darkness to it that reminds me of SRD. It isn't as harsh, but there's definitely some flavor to it.
I have read the Coldfire Triology, and it was quite good and definitely worth a look. I do not rank it as quite the masterpiece, but it has potential.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”