The ARC

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Furls, I have to take issue with you on this subject. Keep in mind two things, though. One, I don't want to see spoilers, either. Two, I respect your opinion. But unless Jay, Vain, the moderators of the TC forums, or SRD or his representative come forth and explicity say they do not want spoilers of any kind on Kevin's Watch, then we should just accept it so long as they're properly labeled and blocked. It isn't our place to lay down the law like this.

That isn't to say you can't express your opinion or your wishes, but the tone of your posts has been authoritarian and off-putting, and I'm an old salt here. Y'know? Still love ya, Furls.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

sorry, I just don't want it ruined for me...and people with the ARC should know that we all don't have it and they would be spoiling it for the rest of us...it's just common sense to keep it off the main board. (and common courtesy, as well)

But, I will shut up about it and stay out of the TCTC forum until after I've read Runes. Because, I've been waiting for this story for 25 years, and I don't want it messed up for me. And I really don't want to have be afraid to open any threads.

And yep, you have been around here longer than I have, but I thought I had earned my place. Maybe not. Oh well...
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Arg, I was afraid of that response. My point is that if things are done right, you don't have to avoid the forums, and if they're done wrong, people aren't obviously paying attention (either intentionally or unintentionally, as has already been proven).

And I wasn't even trying to say anything about places or that kind of stuff. What I meant is that I think I'm pretty emotionally/mentally calloused to a lot of the more sensitive stuff that goes on around here, where others, especially newer members, might not be. That's all.

You've earned your place around here, and nobody will gainsay that. I had just hoped that I had earned enough respect from you to voice a disagreement. I hope that everybody else on Kevin's Watch respected me enough to call me out if they thought I was wrong on an issue.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Personally, I think it's a tad extreme to avoid the TCTC forum altogether over spoilers. Especially if they're blacked out, which I assume they will be from now on. The only way you could spoil the book then would be by highlighting it, which is nobody's fault but the highlighter's.

To make a long story short, I don't care one way or the other if Runes spoilers are posted or not, as long as they are blacked out. Obviously, if Jay or Vain or whoever steps up and outlaws them, I wouldn't mind either. My :2c:

And Furls, you'll always find a place here, no matter what. Everyone respects you deeply, make no mistake.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I was afraid that it would come to this too. I'm also afraid that spoilers will continue to pop up. As many members as we have now, and with more registering every day, even a moderator who is online constantly could not prevent the errant post from revealing something that we don't want to read just yet. And having Jay or Vain make some kind of decree against spoilers would not stop them, IMO.

So what to do? The members who have been here for a while (I've been here < 1 year but still think of myself as an old hand) must be vigilant, and report spoilers as soon as they pop up. For example, I was probably the first member to see the spoiler that came up the other day, and I immediately posted below it trying to warn others. In retrospect I should have PM'd Jay or Vain then too, so that they could have edited the post. Additionally, perhaps an extra moderator or two would be helpful to try to prevent these posts from being seen by too many members.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I formally repeat my request for additional moderators for the TC forum. Danlo would make an excellent choice, if he's willing to take on the responsibility.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Yes, Danlo would be an Excellent choice... I wish I could say I would... but look who I'm talking about. ;)

heh, Vain! Make Danlo mod!!! :D

:P heh, he's power-mad. heh.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Perhaps now would be the time to start an alternate Runes forum?
-George Steiner
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I think we need both -- a seperate Runes forum AND additional mods in the TC forum to move the new Runes topics there. :wink:

High Lord Jay and Sky are both great, but they are both also very busy and not here all of the time. :(

We also have to keep in mind that not eveyone will be able to read Runes right away when it is officially published, due to time and/or financial retraints. Not to mention that it might be published at different times in different Lands. And some people will read it much faster than others, even if they all start reading it in October... We not only need to worry about spoilers from the ARC NOW, but have to worry about spoilers from the real book for the first few months after it is published...
Love as thou wilt.

mhorgel
Servant of the Land

Post by mhorgel »

We also have to keep in mind that not eveyone will be able to read Runes right away when it is officially published, due to time and/or financial retraints. Not to mention that it might be published at different times in different Lands.
This is a very good point. I, not knowing all the rules, posted a spoiler which I promptly obscured as soon as I discovered my error. The spoiler problem is going to get much worse after the publication date, as some people will read the book in a day (as I did), and some will require several days or weeks. Planning something now, such as a separate Final Chronicles forum, will avoid a big problem later.

Mark
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

As someone who happens to not live in America, I understand that once the book is released to the public there, that spoilers will come, and I have no problem with that. It's having too many spoilers beforehand that bothers me, and surely these can be kept to an absolute minimum (if not totally avoided) until October.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
savant
Stonedownor

Post by savant »

Lord Foul wrote:Personally, I think it's a tad extreme to avoid the TCTC forum altogether over spoilers. Especially if they're blacked out, which I assume they will be from now on. The only way you could spoil the book then would be by highlighting it, which is nobody's fault but the highlighter's.

To make a long story short, I don't care one way or the other if Runes spoilers are posted or not, as long as they are blacked out. Obviously, if Jay or Vain or whoever steps up and outlaws them, I wouldn't mind either. My :2c:

And Furls, you'll always find a place here, no matter what. Everyone respects you deeply, make no mistake.
Like we're supposed to listen to Lord Foul~! :x

( j/k ;) )
savant
Stonedownor

Post by savant »

variol son wrote:As someone who happens to not live in America, I understand that once the book is released to the public there, that spoilers will come, and I have no problem with that. It's having too many spoilers beforehand that bothers me, and surely these can be kept to an absolute minimum (if not totally avoided) until October.

Sum sui generis
Vs
Is the book likely going to get released later in NZ? If so, sorry to hear that, and I'll keep that in mind once the book gets released here in the U.S.! I'm under the impression that it's likely to be released in the U.S. and the U.K. simultaneously but wonder if I'm wrong... |-T
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The UK gets it a week after the US, savant. I don't know about NZ.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Sometimes it can be weeks/months/years between when a book is published in one country as opposed to another. Robin Hobbs's last book was released about three months (IIRC) in Britain and Austrailia before it was in America, even though she is an American writer.
Same with George R. R. Martin's Storm of Swords...
And Erickson's books (Gardens of the Moon, etc. ) was released years ago in Britain and some other places, and is only now being released in America, though he is a Canadian... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Love as thou wilt.

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Yeah, here's my two cents.

-Yeah, it's a general rule that all spoilers should have both a large SPOILER warning in the title, as well as being blacked out.

-PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE PM me if there are any problems with this. Yes, I know I'm too busy to read every post, but I do come here ever day and check for new PMs. I can't do anything unless you guys tell me, heh.

-Danlo's the new mod here, and I'm sure he'll be able to help with the spoiler issue.

-I guess we should add another forum sooner or later, but I don't know right now. Let me think about it. The book isn't supposed to be out for another month or so.

-I have only seen, like, two spoilers posted here so far, and both didn't seem very big, and both had some sort of spoiler warning...so yeah, stop acting like this is a HUGE problem or something...when it's not. Heh. And like I said before, if it ever IS a problem, let me know, PM me, whatever.

-I'm pretty sure most people who post here who have read Runes of the Earth would be smart enough to realize that spoiler warnings are needed when they post spoilers. Most Thomas Covenant fans are smart people, remember? Heh. So give people a little credit. If someone continues to post spoilers after being warned, then let me know, and I can take more dramatic action.

So........anything else? Heh. Thanks. And please, be open with me if you have any problems.-jay

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”