Favorite Master in the Congery (Book I)

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Who is Your Favorite Master in the Congery?

Havelock
21%
Gilbur
No votes
Eremis
6%
Barsonage
3%
Quillon
35%
Quillon
35%

Total votes: 34

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Favorite Master in the Congery (Book I)

Post by duchess of malfi »

Was wondering who people's favorite Master in the Congery is? Why do you like that Master? Does that person do something you particularly enjoy or take part in any favorite scenes?
I used the Masters we get to see more of in MOHD...I know we have at least one member who hasn't read AMRT yet, so didn't want to give him any spoilers about any additional Masters we see in the second book. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Don't worry about it duchess. I'm not planning on reading the second book... So you don't have hold back. :)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

You need to be patient and wait Darth...the second book is well worth it. I was impatient when I was your age and look what happened! :mrgreen: I voted for Qullion (as far as the 1st book is concerned) he was a voice of reason and connection to what little was left of Joyse-Aside from Geraden he was prob the key reason Terisa stayed sane in this strange new world. I have "spoiler" reasons too...Havelock is right there and is prob my fav in the entire story.
fall far and well Pilots!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

You need to be patient and wait Darth...
i don't know how!
I was impatient when I was your age and look what happened!
heh, exactly! I rest my case 8) :P

I voted for Qullion (as far as the 1st book is concerned) he was a voice of reason and connection to what little was left of Joyse-Aside from Geraden he was prob the key reason Terisa stayed sane in this strange new world. I have "spoiler" reasons too...Havelock is right there and is prob my fav in the entire story.
I agree :D
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

heh, exactly! I rest my case
No case to rest--u don't want to become like me...so be patient :wink:

(Darth PMed me and says he doesn't want to be like me :wink: --apparently he's had all sorts of problems getting AMRT so we've agreed to have me mail it to him. p.s. duchy your autographed TMOHD will be on the way at the same time--now if I could just find some $! :shifty: :S )
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I chose Havelock, because he is just so strange. I love it. Quillon would have to be my second choice though. I hated Eremis because he was stealing Terisa from Geraden, and Barsonage was just pathetic in the first book.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

variol son wrote:I hated Eremis because he was stealing Terisa from Geraden.
I know exactly what you mean Variol Son... But I hated Terisa for the same reason... (As I have said in another discussion... I will say again) I felt like slapping her and shouting "Open your eyes b*tch!".

I mean here is a really nice and decent guy... and she goes for the w*nk*r who is evil. :evil:

I kept saying, "Go with him! Kiss him instead!" and pointing at Geraden all the while.

I think I may just kill Eremis... 8)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I said Quillon, just because he is such a good spy. Everyone thinks he is this harmless rabbit-like guy, but he is SO much more than that. :)
Havelock is REALLY cool, though. And the nutty things he says crack me up. :lol: :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Yeah... And he is still able to function... plan things... I mean Terisa and Geraden would have been stuck with Terisa's father and co if it weren't for him... I think... I've only read up to the part where they run away... Thanks to the great Danlo, I should finish reading the book by tomorrow :D

heh. I hate master Gilbur and Eremis in these books... I actually hate Gilbur more... because... Though I might be mistaken... I got the impression he did things to Nyle that quite frankly made me sick. I won't say them however... In case I as wrong... But I hope he gets his heart ripped out. Nothing would make me happier.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Yes, he does do some pretty sickening things to Nyle. In my mind, a rape is an evil act, whether done to a man or a woman. In this case, he pretty obviously feels no remorse or regret, which makes him a true villain in my eyes.
Love as thou wilt.

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Yeah, I read the rest of the book, and man did I did Nyle got to rip his throat out... unfortunately he does not... and quite SRD is sick for the rape in there in the first place... What's the point? What does it do for the storyline? I think SRD just can't do a set of books without rape in there. He has a fixation on the subject or something... *Runs away to avoid getting killed*

Though some of you will have a go for me about saying this (If danlo doesn't edit it out first :) ;) ) Think about it for a minute... What was the point in putting the rape in there? It's just my opinion that he has a fixation on the subject... *Shrug* Please feel free to have a go or edit. heh.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

To me it's about power and personal evil. The way the son's of the Domne were built I doubt Nyle would have been able to kill Gart the way he did if Gilbur hadn't done what he did. Gilbur is the last person I'd want to research to find out why he did what he did-but he's a seperate individual than Eremis and Vagel. His definition of his own personal evil is much more twisted and we see hints of it earlier. An interesting juxtaposition to this is what the Alends did to Lebbick's wife and how it effected Lebbick's dark side.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

But it wasn't necessary, it was pointless. Why did Stephen put it in there?
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

The fact that you are having such a strong reaction to it shows why it was in there. :wink: It was there to show how evil Gilbur was -- that he would rape (and it sounds like perhaps rape more than once) a helpless young man who is chained to a wall and feel no remorse about it shows that he is clearly evil.
Just as it shows how evil Eremis was that he was planning on raping a young chained woman in front of that young, chained male victim...
Love as thou wilt.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

They got to the point where they clearly didn't respect humanity or whoever got in their way--you really need to go look at the "Pitch's Ideal: What is Evil?" topic in TCTC discussions. If SRD if overkilling the point--that's between you and him Darth. I for one thought it was nessesary--I can't remember the exact passages right off hand but there are certain earlier scenes where Gilbur's behavior indicated that such an act was possible--and the fact that it was Nyle chaps my hide as far as Joyse's damm sacrificies are concerned-Other's have tried to take Joyse's side in this, but I still have a hard time forgiving him....
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Hmm, the crash zapped my post. :roll:

Er, in a nutshell, it was a tie between Havelock and Quillon, but I gave my vote to Quillon because I think I could at least hold a coherent conversation with him. Havelock might do a Marx Brothers routine and poke my eyes before he's done. :)
Ninquelote
Ramen

Post by Ninquelote »

Spoiler
All my post in Mordant's Need Duscission was lost 8O . Anyway, my favourite master is Havelock. His appearance is deceiving, and you, at least I, never really thought he was a madman. Of course you can be smart and be mad at the same time, but I believed he actually was acting all the time to cover up Joyse.
Anyhow, Norge is named Norge in Sweden because in Sweden Norge actually means Norway :? fun to know, ehm. :lol:
My God, it's full of stars!
-Dave Bowman
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I actually really like Barsonage. I think he's sort of the ideal Imager, you know? He understands the Congery's value as well as the value of the Masters' independent research. He's not brilliant, and he's not stupid--he's as solid as the furniture he builds, and I bet his mirrors have the same understated elegance.

He does go to pieces in the first book, but he pulls himself together again when it becomes necessary. That happens sometimes to men of faith--everything they believe shatters, and they have to either give it up entirely or find a new and better path to that belief. Barsonage to me is the perfect example of somebody whose fundamental belief system is so strong that though he can be shaken, he can't be broken.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Ninquelote
Ramen

Post by Ninquelote »

There wasn't said much in the book (I think) about Barsonage. Of that I read, I can just agree with you. But, as I didn't memorize much that was said about him, I can't really deside how much I like him. But yeah, I like him, that I do. And I think he's perfect as Terisa's father :) .

Now I came to think of the father-and-daughter-relationship. Am I the only one who's disturbed by the thought that she just left his father like that? I mean, as Donaldson always bring up in his books, a person isn't pure evil. Shouldn't he deserve one more chance, because the last chance she gave him was more like a fast shocking visit. I didn't think it was that fair.
My God, it's full of stars!
-Dave Bowman
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

You actually believe Terisa's father should be given another opportunity to be with her? He's probably glad to be rid of Terisa. What purpose would it serve for her to go crawling back to him?

Return to “Mordant's Need”