May the Force...

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

May the Force...

Post by aliantha »

FYI: While my kids and I were seeing "Spiderman" yesterday, I also shelled out for tickets for the midnight showing of "Episode II". So, soon I will be able to explain to y'all what the heck "Attack of the Clones" means, and how, with a straight face, George Lucas has been able to use the phrase as the name of a movie....

BTW, "Spiderman" was pretty cool. As my 13-year-old daughter said, "Good special effects. Bad ending." The ending just simply screams, "SEQUEL!!!!" (As if I hadn't walked into the theater knowing that the guy who plays Spidey has already signed on to do the next movie.... And as if I don't read the Sunday funnies, in which Peter and MJ are clearly married....)
Bannor
Giantfriend

Star Wars and Spidey

Post by Bannor »

I really enjoyed the film of Spiderman. I felt it was pretty true to the comic book (though I don't remember the uncle). Marvel was so adept at giving its heroes all kinds of emotional/societal problems. There will definitely be a sequel.
I found the title of "Attack of the Clones" to be hilarious. It would really be cool if Sinatra were capable of singing "Send in the Clones." I'm not a big Star Wars fan though I really enjoy seeing the Jedis fight (in the prequels). I found the stories bordered on soap opera material (Yes, girl, this man is your brother! And that mean old guy is your father!). Seems to be a popular topic: In Dune the hated guy is the father of Jessica, the mother of the saviour of the known Universe! (I really like Dune, just wish we could get away from that story line used in so many stories: Please don't throw anything at me)
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
danlo
Lord

Sta' Wars

Post by danlo »

"I am your father Luke" Spidey rocked! Uncle Ben dies in the early origins of the comics--thus giving Spidey a reason 2 create himself--but it was Aunt May being put in a wheel chair that later gave him a bad attitude. My secret dream is that Spidey and my fav Marvel hero, Daredevil, will team up in the sequel, as they have in a number of comix. I, actually, liked Phantom Menace and any Sta' Wars movie that has my fav character, Boba Fett, in it I'll go c.
Last edited by danlo on Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!

Thank God it's not another "Phantom Menace"!!

Post by Guest »

After the overhype and disappointment surrounding Phantom Menace, it was with no little amount of trepidation that I approached the Sunday afternoon press screening of Attack of the Clones. Would it be another Phantom Menace (not a bad film in itself, just not what I or many others would have expected from a Star Wars film), or would it re-establish the Star Wars name as the force to be reckoned with in the movie world?

I am very glad to report that Attack... is very much a return to form. Had Phantom Menace been half as good as Attack…, it would have been an excellent film. The special effects are as eye-popping as one has come to expect from Industrial Light & Magic, but unlike with Phantom Menace the Lucasfilm team seems to have remembered that in among the new toys there should be at least a smidgen of plot and characterisation.

Much more is made of the relationships between Anakin Skywalker (Canadian “heart-throb” Heyden Christensen) and Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor); the growing attraction between Anakin and Senator Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman); the growing bonds of friendship between Anakin and Chancellor Palpatine (the ever-excellent Iain McDiarmud). And, of course, Christopher Lee brings his own style to the line-up as the renegade Jedi Count Dooku.

The film is full of little touches that allude to what is to come in A New Hope, Empire... and Return of the Jedi. From the six-legged walkers that evolve into the Imperial AT-AT walkers, to Republic lasers that echo the planet-destroyer of the Death Star, the uniforms of the Clone Troops that are only a tiny step from the Imperial Stormtrooper’s uniforms, and both the Jedi Starfighter and Republic Trop Landers, whose designs mirror that of the Imperial Star Destroyers. Then there is the dialogue (Obi Wan saying to Anakin “I swear you’ll be the death of me yet!”), and the action (Count Dooku’s blue Jedi lightning).

The battle scenes are spectacular, involving literally tens of thousands of battle droids and clone warriors, and the hardware on show has a rougher edge than anything we’ve seen in Star Wars yet (although it does bear similarities to Battletech and Warhammer hardware). And it’s good to see the Jedi fighting en-masse (check out those lightsabres!) There is, however, only one space combat scene, involving Jango Fett (a suitably mean and broody Temeura Morrison from Once Were Warriors) and Obi Wan. Set amidst the rings of the planet Geonosis, it is an overwhelming rollercoaster of a scene, far more dizzying and disorientating than the asteroid belt chase in Empire...

Despite the many failings of George Lucas when it comes to writing dialogue, the 1950’s “B”-movie title and the rather over-syrupy and, to be honest, heavily overdone love story between Anakin and Amidala, Attack... more than makes up for the disappointment of Phantom Menace. Closer in tone to Empire than either of the other two movies of the original trilogy, it sets the scene marvellously for Anakin Skywalker’s eventual descent to the Dark Side and the destruction of the Jedi Order and the Old Republic. Overall, it is a worthy addition to the Star Wars universe.

8/10.

But the biggest cheer in Episode 3 will still come when someone turns Jar Jar Binks into sushi… :D :twisted: :wink:
Michael Giantfriend
Ramen

Erm...

Post by Michael Giantfriend »

That was me, by the way...

:?: :? :?: :? :?:
Bannor
Giantfriend

Great Encounter

Post by Bannor »

Danlo, that would indeed be a great match. If I had a vote though, I'd like to see him battle Dr. Octopus. Dr. Oct always infuriated me (back in the days when my feelings could be manipulated)! Either would be great! Why not both???????
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
danlo
Lord

My sources @ Realm of the Fantastic tell me...

Post by danlo »

...that a Daredevil movie is in the works w/Ben Affleck (just HOW many movies IS he making this year?) as DD and his alter ego the blind Atty. Matt Murdoch and that he will b battling The Kingpin played by the big black actor in The Green Mile--name escapes me right now. What I meant Bannor was that Spidey and DD team up vs. a slew of emenies and criminals( yes, I do remember that when DD and Spidey 1st met in the comix they beat the living hell out of each other till they finally realized they both were on the same side!)--The Punisher and Hacksaw were some of DD coolest foes, 2--Mysterio and The Gremlin (actually Harry, son of Green Goblin--according 2 the comix, btw...) were some of Spidey's best--yes Doc Oc is very nasty--never cared 4 The Owl-he was a bit of a wuss-I guess there's a black-clad antithesis of Spidey in the new comix called Venom that all the folks @ The Realm are hoping Spidey will battle in the sequel. Toby McGuire has already commited 2 a sequel--what a suprize! hahaha. Thanks Mike 4 the great Clone review--now I'm REALLY xcited! Long time no c!--What's w/all the funny #s in ur post?
Michael Giantfriend
Ramen

My sources @ Realm of the Fantastic tell me...

Post by Michael Giantfriend »

danlo wrote: Thanks Mike 4 the great Clone review--now I'm REALLY xcited! Long time no c!--What's w/all the funny #s in ur post?
That was me trying to put double quotation marks in - didn't quite work out right, did they... :roll:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

belated review...

Post by aliantha »

Thanks, Michael, for the review! I didn't quite get here yesterday, as I'd planned....

The reviewer from the Washington Post actually said he was bored with this movie. Bored?? Bored??? How the guy could be bored by a movie with numerous chase scenes and battle scenes -- including one involving Master Yoda, who kicks butt and takes names -- escapes me. Clearly, the fellow is an arse. :evil:

Anyway. Yes, this movie is better than Episode I. I enjoyed the scenes that developed the relationships between Anakin and Obi-Wan (I found myself wondering whether Qui-Gon would have had any better luck in reining in Anakin's impetuousness -- and "I swear you'll be the death of me" is probably my favorite line in the movie), and (I'm a girl, okay??) between Anakin and Padme (who, thank the Force, was allowed to ditch most of the wacky headdresses, now that she's a senator). Lucas is no genius at writing dialogue, and the guy who plays Anakin seems to have somewhat of a lack of emotional range (he seems to have two settings: smoldering and full blaze). But overall, it was great. At least they stifled Jar Jar.

My kids liked it so well that as soon as they got home from school yesterday, they went back to the theater and saw it again!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

hey MG-friend .. good to see you 'round .. it does seem a long time ..

havent seen Attack .. but I really want to!! .. yeah its a cheesy film title .. but I dont care .. I have been really looking forward to the next one!

I am glad it is true to form ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Well I saw Episode 2 today and loved it!! It was fantastic .. brilliant ... engaging .. and way cool .. the guy who wrote about it as being boring needs his head examined ..

It was fab .. and so cool they did indeed maintain the feel of the series .. and as a prequel it really shouldnt exceed the original 3 .. (even though it really does .. but not in feel .. just in quality)

The only criticism I have .. well not criticism really but thing that I felt was least satisfying .. was the Maori/Islander actors .. The bounty hunter 'something -Fet' guy dude and his personal junior clone (gag) maybe they could have given out a few acting lessons prior to the shoot .. ouch!! harsh I know .. but when the little kid laughs at his 'dad' during the dodge and blast Obi Wan .. scene .. it was ... ergghh ..

The choice of the adult and child actor were excellent .. I just wish they acted better .. they weren't the pits or anything though .. I am sure there are far worse choices out there .. somewhere .. :roll:

Favourite scenes : definitely the one where Yoda (sp?) kicks butt .. loved that scene!!

.. all the cool action scenes

.. loved the Italian lake retreat but that wasnt really a scene in the sense of scene in this context :wink:

.. loved Padme's space cruisers .. the one that got blown up and the one that she and Anakin travelled to Tataween (sp?) in .. very sleek

.. also loved that line when Obi Wan told Anikan he would be the death of him .. :wink:

.. it was all good :D

.. cant wait to get the video/dvd.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
danlo
Lord

Dang Sky!

Post by danlo »

Boba Fett's my fav Star Wars character! He's the real reason I wanted 2 c this movie--oh well will have 2 adjust--probably liked him in Empire and Return of the Jedi cause-like Vain--never really said anything!
Last edited by danlo on Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm .. now there's a thought ...

.. I probably would have preferred it if he (Vet) and his mini-him .. hadn't actually spoken at all .. :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

The Fett family

Post by aliantha »

The elder Fett in Episode II is Jango Fett (I think I got his first name right), father of Boba Fett, who is the little clone-son. The events in this movie go a long way toward explaining why Boba Fett seems to have a mad on for every Jedi he runs into in Episodes IV, V and VI....
CovenantJr
Lord

Episode II

Post by CovenantJr »

I saw Episode II yesterday... I liked it. I think overall it was better than the Phantom Menace, although I like that as well... I did get a little bored in the first half of the film. It was too disjointed for my liking. But it picked up about half way through - around when Anakin went back to Tattooine (that's how you spell it :) ) and Obi-Wan went to Geonosis. From then on, it was involving, more exciting, and just more enjoyable, IMO.

Although I do have to point out that the bloke who played Anakin (Heyden thingy) is THE most wooden actor I have ever seen.

Never mind, the point is it's Star Wars, and I enjoyed it :D
My girlfriend, on the other hand, loathed it, and spent a lot of time staring at the wall... :lol: Can't have everything, I suppose :)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

'loathed it'???!!!! ... *throws hands into the air ..

pffft .. "girlys .." .. :roll:

:wink:

LOL

Yes now you mentioned it the guy who played Anakin was a little wooden .. at first I didnt buy him as Anakin but then he kinda grew on me .. though I will say .. he really looks like the conflicted Anakin he is supposed to be .. that whole questionable character thing he's got going ..

I watched Episode I last night again .. :lol: .. and really enjoyed the whole SW experience again ..
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
CovenantJr
Lord

Coincidence

Post by CovenantJr »

How bizarre, I watched The Phantom Menace again today.... I have to say, I like it more each time I see it - but Jar Jar bloody Binks doesn't become any more palatable...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Jar Jar

Post by aliantha »

No, he doesn't, does he? At least Jar Jar's in only a couple of scenes in this film, with a minimal amount of dialogue.... We went to see Episode II with the neighbors this past weekend (they hadn't seen it yet); she *really* loathes Jar Jar, and after Episode II was over, she said, "And in the next one, they kill off Jar Jar, right?" :lol:
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Anybody read the <I>Heir to the Empire</I> books? Thrawn is just about the coolest guy in the Star Wars universe!

As for the movies, the only thing I care about is the Jedi. Love story, blah blah. Fate of the Republic, blah blah. LOL Oh well. I just want to hear wise words about the force, and see lightsaber fights!! Yeeeeee Haaaaaaa!! Darth Maul was the best of the best of the best! Although it helps to have read the book. Reading Qui Gon's thoughts about Maul's extreme focus and abilities, against 2 Jedi at a time, was great. And reading about Qui's state of mind. One of the great fights in books, imho.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

The Thrawn trilogy was awesome! Pity, I havent had a chance to read anything else by Zahn...

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”