Names in the Chronicles...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I like SRD's explanation of how the names of people in the Land were influenced by Covenant and Linden. In the case of LF - he laughs at lepers, doesn't he? So of course to Covenant he would be "Foul."
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I thinks one of the reason he uses some unpronouncable names, is so that they are not taken from other books. With there being so many fantasy books out there, I'm sure he has not read them all, but a word like suru-pa-marel...good chance that it hasn't been used before-or after. I've only seen two names myself that have been used since-there is a Brinn in Wishsong of Shannara, and a Berek (spelled Barak) in the Belgaraid.
I love the way he can manipulate words to make new ones...things like
Revelstone/Gravelingas/woodhelvinin/...or even Delsec.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Greetings, drew. I'm not surprised that SRD's work may have had some influence on the authors of those two stories you mentioned. (Yes, I know who they are--doesn't mean I have to include their names with SRD in the same sentence.)
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Don't worry, I wasn't comparing SRD to Eddings...it would be like compairing the Bible to a religious pamphlet handed out on the street...or compairing the New York Philharmonic to me kids' school band.
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

I suppose it probably would have been more palatable to the masses if his name had been Kevyne.
That makes me laugh because it's exactly right.
Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost.
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

"Gibbon" brings to mind images of monkeys
I kept thinking of that fat old 18th century historian writing about the Fall of Rome.
On the whole though I didn’t find Dondalson’s names all that jarring. Being multi-lingual I’m not bothered by some of the odder phonology, and the insertion of a couple of real-world names like Kevin and Lena can be allowed as a coincidence (which can happen in languages). Also, anyone notice that there’s actually a rule (in the First Chronicles at least) by which women’s names can be formed from their mother’s: it’s prefix the first (strong) vowel from the mother’s own name to that name, so that Elena is Lena-daughter, Osondrea is Sondrea-daughter, and Atiaran is Tiaran-daughter (the “i” vowel is a weak glide, not a full vowel) Of course this only works for a single generation,. Otherwise, if Elena had had a daughter we’d end up with E’elena, and so forth. This is about Donaldson’s only real attempt at linguistic veracity in his work. Otherwise he just seems to cannibalize real world languages at random: Sanskrit and Hebrew for the Raver’s names, French for “Coercri” and so forth.
As for The Land, a lot of real world languages have only a single word for Land and Earth, for example Latin “Terra”. I think this is also similar to the way that many primitive peoples simply call themselves “The People” (and call other folks by some very uncomplimentary names: The Ugly Ones, the Monsters, etc.)
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

Speaking of names, anyone else find it odd (maybe even annoying) that everyone speaks the same language? Except the Demondim-spawn that is, whose vocal apparatus may be so different that they can’t utter human sounds and vis-versa. (Covenant, Linden and Hile Troy I can accept as picking up “Landish” as a facet of their translation.) And The Giants do have the Gift of Tongues, yet they never seem to need it. Even the Bhrathair speak “Landish” which would be impossible given that they have had no contact with the Land, ever, that we know of. It would have been a nice touch (if a bit cumbersome) to have the Giants have to act as interpreters with them in TOT.
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

In Runes, I keep reading the character
Spoiler
Jeremiah's
name as Jeriah, a character from Men in Hats.

Which is a bit jarring...

The spoiler tag is there for those who consider names spoilers...even though I wouldn't consider it a spoiler by any means.
Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost.
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Ok so how about Drool Rockworm? While sounding cool, I think it's a little over the top. A worm of the rock a cavewight might be, but Drool? I suppose I do recall some dribble when he was being ruined by the Staff.
ThistleDown
Servant of the Land

Post by ThistleDown »

I have always had a bit of a hard time with Kevin myself. But then again I had a hard time with Luke in Star Wars!

Names are so important to the character. Can you imagine Mhoram being named Jim instead. Or Saltheard Foamfollower being named "Terry"?

However, from dealing with some writers I know that sometimes a particular name has something to do with the inspiration and visualization of that character. Imagine writing a story and having to cast the character readers should dislike the most. You might choose the bully from when you where in school, or perhaps anyone that works at the DMV.

I have always felt the SRD did a particularily good job in his naming of characters and places (except for the aforementioned Kevin). Another author that I feel does a great job of naming things, people and places to instantly convey feeling is Terry Brooks.

I liked Drool Rockworm...was one of those things. Drool as in Mad, rock as in of the earth, and worm being of despicable character. All good points though.
It is not sufficient

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”