Favorite guitar solos

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Queeaqueg Darkmoon
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Queeaqueg Darkmoon »

Im Sorry. No comes close to Jimi Hendrix. I know lots of people did guitar and were really good, but Hendrix mastered the guitar. Even today people try to play like him and they don't come close to even sounding like his playing.
We are the invisible hand which holds the world. We strike with the power of a sword but with the agile and stealth of a snake.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Yes, nobody revolutionized rock guitar playing more or made more memorable sounds, etc., but there are simply players with more technical skill than Hendrix (that doesn't make them better; I'm just saying).
Queeaqueg Darkmoon
<i>Elohim</i>

No one can come close to the skill Hendrix had. If they did they would be famous. No can match or come close to Hendrix's style. Once you hear Hendrix playing, it still blows you away because it is so amazing.
We are the invisible hand which holds the world. We strike with the power of a sword but with the agile and stealth of a snake.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Queeaqueg wrote:No one can come close to the skill Hendrix had. If they did they would be famous. No can match or come close to Hendrix's style. Once you hear Hendrix playing, it still blows you away because it is so amazing.
The reason a technically superior guitarist isn't as famous as Hendrix is because, as you said, no one could match his style. And yeah, his music blows me away; don't get me wrong on that! ;)
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Hendrix rules there is no denying. But Gilmour has an extremely subtle touch that is a lot harder to really pick up. He made it seem extremely easy to play guitar, but you take a closer listen and you can hear all of the amazing things he is doing. Just listen to Animals really close and tell me that Gilmour isn’t absolutely amazing.

Gilmour belongs with Hendrix and Clapton, only he isn't really flashy like they are. And while both Clapton and Gilmour live, never call someone else the best living guitarist.

Besides, while Hendrix was a masterful guitar player, he was a really bad vocalist. Everything that is Not guitar in the Jimmy Hendrix experience borders on blowing.
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

The Dreaming wrote: And while both Clapton and Gilmour live, never call someone else the best living guitarist.
Mark Knopfler - best living guitarist! :x :| :rant: :twisted:
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Queeaqueg Darkmoon
<i>Elohim</i>

Hendrix is the greatest guitarist EVER!!

His Vocals were also great.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Stevie Ray Vaughn plays some great guitar in The Sky is Crying...
Love as thou wilt.

ProRider514
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by ProRider514 »

i love the guitar solos in stone blue by foghat

~*Kyrstie*~
everybody poops
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Gilmour is an absolute God.

The outro solo on "Pigs: Three Different Kinds" is so few notes, but it's played so powerfully that it still blows me away. Add to that "Sorrow", "Not Now John", the solo for Brian Ferry's "Is Your Love Strong Enough", and every freakin' note on the "About Face" album (especially the "Murder" solo.

Jimmy Page has got some great stuff, but my favorite solo of his, follow me here, was on the B side of the 12" dance remix of The Firm's "Radioactive" single. The song is called "Live in Peace", originally from one of Paul Rodger's solo albums, later on "Mean Business" by The Firm. That one's a killer, and it's been as good every time I've seen it live.

"A Piece of Time" by Andy Summers

"In My Car" by Joe Walsh

"Astronomy" by BOC/Buck Dharma

"In My Dreams" by Dokken/George Lynch

"Me Wise Magic" by Van Halen/Eddie Van Halen-note for note, this song is the most technically perfect guitar playing I've ever heard....And I've been playing for 25 years.

"Like a Prisoner" by Eric Clapton
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

dmm,jmttbttt
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cail wrote:Jimmy Page has got some great stuff, but my favorite solo of his, follow me here, was on the B side of the 12" dance remix of The Firm's "Radioactive" single. The song is called "Live in Peace", originally from one of Paul Rodger's solo albums, later on "Mean Business" by The Firm. That one's a killer, and it's been as good every time I've seen it live.
8) nice little piece of obscura there! now i have to go find it!! 8O

Doyle Bramhall III and Snowy White on Comfortably Numb from Roger Waters: In the Flesh

Felder and Walsh on the Hell Freezes Over version of Hotel California

Trey Gunn and Robert Fripp on everything on Power to Believe
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I agree with Power to Believe-awesome CD (thanks!)

Walter Becker on Bodishatva (...I'm gonna sell my house in town... :D )

Stills and Young talking to each other on their gits on Southern Man off 4-Way Street (Live) 8O 8O 8O amazing stuff even makes the youn'uns sit up and take notice...
fall far and well Pilots!
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

oh yeah!!! Bodishatva!!! :biggrin: 8)
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

I love the brilliantly simple solo,in the Neil Young vein.Example:On Fleetwod Macs The Chain the passage where Lindsay Buckingham just repetitively picks the same note for like 20 or 30 seconds,he could have played anything,but what he did play fit to perfection.There are more Allman Brothers solos than I care to list right now that rank amoung my faves,I really like the two guitar harmony thing.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

...yeah keep us together, runnin in the shadows, yeah... 8)
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

The solos on Deep Purples 'Space Truckin' and 'Highway Star' helped spark my interest in the guitar around the age of 15.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

David Gilmour : the ending on Fat Old Sun. too bad it fades out.

Bob Mould: album version of Celebrated Summer is my favorite solo, all time. it sounds like the end of the world.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Randy Jackson (Zebra) has got a nifty little solo on their cover of "Slow Down".

Lindsey Buckingham is one of those players that you really have to listen to. The guy's got some great stuff, but it's not in your face.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Mike Buck's sloppy solo on Pale Blue Eyes (dead letter office) is beautiful in its simplicity.

Bob Mould's solo on Explode & make Up is beautiful in a dpressing/angry sort of way.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Vespers”