Speculation on the ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Thanks guys! U just inspired me 2 read the beginning of Gilden-Fire--the story of the 2 warring, pre-Haruchai clans; the Ho-aru and the Nimishi. Their unification and subsequent seige of Revelstone:
As they spoke the hot words-Ha-man rual tayba-sah carab ho-eeal-the ground seemed to grow hot and cognizant under their feet, as if Earthpower were drawing near the surface to hear them. And when they brought their Vow around full circle, sealing it so that there was no escape, the rocks on which they stood thundered, and fire ran through them, sealing their bones to the promise they had made.
So what does this have 2 do w/the Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol? Not much xcept Ak-Haru and Ho-aru both seem 2 b linguistically close and ancient terms. Is the Ak-Haru kinda like a Haruchai prodigy who comes along every 6 centuries or so? If so is it only the Earthpower on the Isle of the One Tree that keeps them alive? The Vow
must deny any Bloodguard the opportunity 2 become the Kenaustin Ardenol. So if there r replacements do they arise every millenium or so from Haruchai stock as "super-unfettered" ones who kick every1's ass and then go off in search of the Isle?

(now I finally see y people want Donaldson 2 write a prequel--it would be SO cool 2 find out how Berek meets the Haruchai in his travels--but how and y have they 4gotten the xistence of the Lords in the meantime--they never returned? :D Thanks 4 the G-F push! :D I'm always much happier whenever I read it...)
fall far and well Pilots!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yes, life is much better with Gilden-Fire bubbling right up there at the top of your mind!:)

So, okay, uuuuhhh, Kenaustin Ardenol lives somewhere "upon the edge of the Earth," not in the Westron Mountains. The Haruchai don't know where - can't know where. But on the way to the One Tree, Berek runs into him. The Earthpower tells Berek that he needs to set Ken at the Tree to guard it after he gets the branch for the Staff, so that nobody else will take another branch. And either the Earthpower tells Ken the same thing, or he figures the Isle is as much "the edge of the Earth" as where he was at the moment, so he goes. And since then, he's either been found occasionally by a lone Haruchai in the company of people of other races, or he's been sitting there completely alone for 8k years.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

now I gotta go read GF ..

I even have it now .. thanks to Landwaster :wink:

this looks interesting enought to participate in .. so I guess I better get reading ..

you guys always make us work sooo hard!!!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

How about this thought? Ak haru Kenaustin Ardenol is, in part, composed of all the ones who challenged him. What if one was Bannor? He would certainly know about the legend. He might also, through Kevin, have some idea where the One Tree was located.

He, when we last saw him in TPTP, seemed to have given up his former life, but fighting is a form of grief release for the Haruchai. Bannor certainly would have had a lot to grieve about.
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Can anyone tell me if Ak haru Kenaustin Ardenol is mentioned by the Haruchai at any time before they actually come to TOT?
I Am curious about something.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

No, there was no mention before then.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

I didn't think so. Thanks, Fist.
I just find it odd that SRD is so careful to mention (In 1st cron.) Elohim, Nicor, Brathair, & The one tree but no Ken. I'm just curious when SRD conceived of him.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Eh? I gotta go reread that. I didn't remember Amok mentioning the One Tree.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

I don't think it was Amok--
But somebody...drat, now I'm gonna have to find it!
LFB is all about the staff o' law... someone talks about its creation.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Oh! Yeah, I get you. Yeah, I guess it was part of Atiaran's story.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

bump
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Dromond wrote:Can anyone tell me if Ak haru Kenaustin Ardenol is mentioned by the Haruchai at any time before they actually come to TOT?
I Am curious about something.
I think that this was a gap or a mistake in the storyline that Donaldson kinda fixed.

Hello everyone, new guy here. I have been enjoying this place for a few weeks now and am glad I have found it. Up to this point I have been driving my wife outta her mind with Thomas Covenant stories, and she could care less. I have been reading this saga for the first time and am totally captivated. I have just finished The One Tree and something has struck me as strange - the whole coincidental appearance of Ak haru Kenaustin Ardenol and the One Tree. I just had to register just to ask if anyone has felt the way I do about this.

It just seems to me that Donaldson needed some kinda obstacle to gain access to the Isle so he made this fellow who just so happened to be also the meaning of all Haruchai's goals. So of course, the only one capable of defeating this guy and keeping the story line together would be a fellow Haruchai. It just seems a little sloppy and forced ? I think there is not enough backbone for such a coincidence. I could be that I am just so used the LOTR super intense historic background and credibility that I expected it from other novels. No biggy I loved this conflict and the imagery of Brinn flying kicks though the air and rapid fire chops just had me there.

I'm not sure if I'll be flogged for saying this but does anyone else feel this way and/or what are you thoughts Thanks everyone, a way cool freakin place this is, now I can be a nerd in my virtual closet.
ThistleDown
Servant of the Land

Post by ThistleDown »

Perhaps it has been mentioned before, but Aku was not a bloodguard, he was Haruchai.

The Bloodguard did not exist (if you will as an organization) until Kevin's time. So Berek would not have known a Bloodguard, only a Haruchai.

It also seems to me that I remember reading that the Haruchai were, to paraphrase, a passionate, warlike people that eventially made their way to the Land in the time of Kevin. Other than Aku, we have no reference to Haruchai contact being made.

I wonder where Berek found him?
It is not sufficient
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

SRD said in the Gradual Interview that aHKA was NOT a Haruchai.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

SRD also said that, when he wrote the 1st Chrons, he hadn't thought of going on. But then Del Rey(iirc) said something like, "You know what would be neat? If this happened next..." And SRD thought, "My God, what a horrible idea!! If the story continued, it would be something like this..." And so came the 2nd, which he knew even then would have to continue to the Last.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

And so we have to thank Lester Del Rey for the Second and the Last Chronicles... hadn't he prodded SRD with ideas SRD himself found horrible, maybe we wouldn't be sitting here anxiously waiting to get Runes (or Revenant, for those who've already read Runes) :D

Anyway, there was another thread about aHKA... I'm going to resurrect and bump it in order for any who haven't read it yet to check it out.
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Ok, I now I have read the previous post. I still believe that this was an oops by SRD and because of that this topic could possibly never stop. Or it could very well be that I haven't read the the chronicles enough, this being my first time. Sorry if this response has been written before but give me a break I'm a new guy. Either way, this is my attempt at explaining this and it just might very well be crap.

Kevin brings a Haruchai to the Isle to get the Staff.

Upon getting to the isle he is approached by an Elohim who comes oozing out of a rock and says "so you want the Staff? I know you do, fine, you got it. But this is a big deal so you're gonna have to give me this Haruchai & he'll become a hybrid Elohim (kinda like a Hile Troy situation) who will stay here forever guarding this joint until he decides who he deems worthy and pure to allow a challenge." Very few approach the isle and if they do, they are slain. The few that do might have been Haruchai on their own mission unrelated to the Tree and are successful and are renewed as the new hybrid - haruchai - Elohim.

Being a hybrid Elohim, he might be one that is more independant than the other Elohim and we have seen that they can be, like that Kasten....fellow. One that might not do things in exact accordance with other Elohim.

Kevin goes back happy with his new stick and spreads the word about this Haruchai. All the Haruchai think he's awesome and strive one day to meet him yet Kevin tells nothing about his whereabouts to protect the tree.

TC comes along wants a new staff, goes to the isle with a motley bunch, Elohim, Haruchai, Giants, a freakin urvile and carrying white gold. Hybrid Elohim through his power says wow look at these powerful good people and this could be a worthy challenge and my time to renew plus I am so bored and old. So this independant Elohim says bring it on and eventually gives way to Brinn because he knows the quests purposes and is willing to take the chance. Cail is happy to see that his comrade has fulfilled their legends of meeting this Ardrenol / secret Elohim.

The way is open and the everlasting white-gold paradox continues because no one knows the outcome.
PitchDude
Stonedownor

Kevin who?

Post by PitchDude »

Hey DawnGreeter.

I am enjoying your thoughts, but don't you mean 'Berek'?? Kevvie never made it to the One Tree, as far as we know... :)

Jim
Only a person who has truly experienced the consequences of his/her own destructive actions is qualified to evaluate--is, indeed, capable of evaluating--his/her future actions in order to make meaningful choices between destruction and preservation. - SRD
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

True-twas Berek not Kevvie! Wow! I always knew that if such a cool sail was personified it would be bald and sexy!
fall far and well Pilots!
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Thanks Pitchdude. Oops, yeah umm Berek I meant, sorry. The character names have yet to concretize in my head.

Yes balds chics can be sexy. I have this program that is an astounding character creation software. Women I can create to my exact specifications - perfect for fantasy stuff.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”