Thomas Covenant Art

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I have always associated the bloodguard with the Klingon race from Star Trek .. with a kind of vulcan language .. like someone on the other forum protrayed them in a fan-fic ..

I only read this last page .. did anyone bring the fan-art from the old forum over here?? I am sure Hearthcoal has already attended to that .. but I will scan the first page and see .. The art that umm ... that amazing young artist did on the other forum was outstanding .. now what was her name?? Far out .. I wrote to her and all ... damn this memory .. anyway she knows who she is and her work is brilliant!

I will come back when I recall her name .. :oops:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling ๐Ÿ˜Š :D ๐Ÿ˜Š

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

oh .. it is not here ..
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
sn00ze
Servant of the Land

Post by sn00ze »

Well, I must admit the yeti picture might be stretching it. My point was
that I always portrait the haruchai to be more "savage"/beastlike that
bannor actual avatar... The Klingon avenue is one I like too...
I don't know, just looking at where the race came from and what
kind of mentality they have, I just can't associate them to be human like...

What about the cavewights??? How do you guys seem them? They are
probably the race from the Land that got the least attention/details about
there apperance...

L8r.
Sn00ze
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I definitely do not agree with mixing Star Trek characters into TCTC; I think the Haruchai are very much human, with a flat face, slanted eyes and an accent - a very Far-Oriental picture, I think. If I close my eyes, I see the face and figure of Chow Yun Fat the actor, as a perfect Bannor.

as for the Ur-Viles, I don't think they are "foggy" at all; actually, SRD gives quite a godd description of them: smooth black skin (like Vain), long thin but powerful limbs, and a Martian-like face with gaping nostrils and no eyes and two slits on the sides for ears
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Catching up...

Post by aliantha »

Thanks for the original post that started this thread, and the links therein. I am booking my flight to Andelain immediately.... :lol:
nadia
Servant of the Land

hey, I'm the famous artist!

Post by nadia »

I've changed name from that odd singhalese name "priyangika" to nadia. Felt it was a bit too exotic for me....But I'm still me.

As for the haruchai I still picture them as maoris (but without the facial tatoos that is).
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Not all Maoris have tattoos :) But no, the Maori have eyes that are too bright for the Bloodguard.

I also don't see them as an alien race, possibly Mongolian.

Post by Guest »

anyone noticed my new picture on the fan art page? :roll:
nadia
Servant of the Land

new picture..

Post by nadia »

ok, that was me, nadia. what was that anonymous-thing all about?
Hearthcoal
Lord

Very cool stuff

Post by Hearthcoal »

Yep, I've noticed your pictures on the Fan Art page. They are all very good. The Forestal is my favorite of the three. The detail in the vegetation is amazing. But what really got my attention was the Forestal's face. Is it meant to be Hile Troy?

I think the third picture is mis-captioned. Can you tell us what it depicts? And when do we get to see a fourth submission??? Don't keep us waiting too long.

For anyone who hasn't seen the Fan Art, now you have no excuse. Get out of the galley and go check out the gallery. :)

- Hearthcoal

P.S. The anonymous posts happen under certain circumstances. Go to Strange anonymous posting errors for more information.

I am trying to get in the habit if manually signing my posts...just to be safe.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I love them all .. and I have to be one of your biggest fans!!

Is the last one .. LA and TC looking over Glimmermere?? or is it TC an Elena?? I love the LA healing the sunbane one too .. I love the 2 sun thing .. very eerie ..

all I have to say to you is .. encore encore!!!

.. oh yeah and .. kudos for the outstanding work too ... I almost forgot my manners :oops:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Bannor
Giantfriend

Nadia's Art

Post by Bannor »

My goodness, you are GOOD, Nadia! Those are excellent! Please, when you get the time, see my daughter's work in arwenart.com . Only one drawing from Thomas Covenant so far, but she does a lot of animae. Again, super work, Nadia!
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Very cool pics. The first I've seen - other than the book covers which, in my opinion, are not very accurate (I especially hate WGW paperback cover showing TC and LA looking fearlessly over the Land). I also, however, always pictured Kevin's Watch to have a spiraling staircase. Otherwise I think it is perfect!

Bannor, I went to your daughters' website but could not login. How do I do that?

In reference to the Haruchai being beast-like - NOT! They are described as humans with flat faces! Let's not mix Star Trek into this - even though I grew up on the series (with Capt. Kirk). (Oops! did I just show my age? :oops: )
The King has one more move.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I am not sure that anyone suggests they .. in their appearance .. would see Haruchai/Bloodguard .. looking like Klingons .. but moreso have similar persona's .. I guess it is just a way of finding a similar solid .. yet quaintly dispassionate .. honour driven peoples to compare them to.

I dont see them physically like Klingons .. more like a solid Maori/Polynesian breed of men .. sundarkened .. built like a brick s***house .. :oops: .. solid .. but .. here comes the persona aspect .. absolutely honour driven!!

Prepared to defend that which they have committed themselves to with their very lives .. and without weapons!! .. because there is no honour in such a battle/fight!! Prepared to put all personal interests secondary to the mission/their service. Single minded and honour bound .. possessed of the most intriguing dispassion imaginable .. the Bloodguard.

So those of us familiar with similar characters compare this race as having the dispassion with which Vulcan's are known .. mixed with the solidity and valour of Klingon's .. but looking like neither

.. just for a frame of reference .. but not really looking identical to either of them ...

.. I defintely wasn't raised on Capt Kirk .. :wink: .. but I have seen an old episode of ST which had Klingons in it .. and .. they looked nothing like what I had become accustomed to in the later series!! ..ROFL .. they really looked funny!!

.. I guess in its day it was quite revolutionary .. but .. <waits for the flamings to begin> I cant imagine people actually getting into the Capt Kirk generation of ST .. today. I think it is really a show you would have to be raised with to enjoy and definitely do not see the Klingons I picture looking anything like the original Klingon represented in the earlier series I saw .. errghhh *shudder*
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Thank goodness! All this talk about Haruchai and Klingons was starting to scare me! But even still, the Klingons of old, at least, never appeared to me as being honor-driven. They were too aggressive and vicious to have honor. The Bloodguard, however, are definitely honor-driven. I don't know! What do you think? :roll:
Bannor
Giantfriend

Arwen Art

Post by Bannor »

Hail, Caamora! Love your avatar! My daughter's site seems to have no problems; would that you would try again. Mayhaps there was something amiss in cyberspace the last time.
arwenart.com
My daughter did the avatar for me. It's Bannor, and that's Kevin's Watch in the background (with Kevin at the pinnacle). :wink:
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."
Coercri
Stonedownor

Post by Coercri »

Speaking of your daughters artwork......I was in Baltimore's airport earlier this week & saw someone identical to her rendition of Bannor..... kinda eerie...... :D

BTW, I visited her site, very impressive!!! She has a bright future in front of her!! But you already know that I'm sure :wink:

-Coercri
Bannor
Giantfriend

A bright future

Post by Bannor »

Thanks, Coercri: you just won this man's heart by complimenting my daughter (which incdentally is the way to go--not through a man's stomach as is generally told). :)
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Bannor - your daughter's work is wonderful! I agree with you about compliments of a person's child! There is no better reflection on you than someone making a positive comment about one of your kids! My son (11 years old) is also quite the artist. It would be fortunate if he did half as well as your daughter. :wink:
Bannor
Giantfriend

Thanks

Post by Bannor »

Thanks so very much, Caamora! You have won my heart as well! I know your son will be just as good if he wants to be. There's no substitute for desire (and practice), not to mention that it's a God-given gift. Email me some of his work when you get the chance. :)
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."

Return to โ€œThe First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenantโ€